Satie as an Artist

Started by nakulanb, September 17, 2022, 05:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nakulanb

:)

I love this composer's music so much.  Why is it such that his music is the only, other than mine, that makes me feel like a painting has been created?

That's what I have been searching for in music.  I'm not looking for more suggestions of music I'd like, just reasons why I enjoy his so much, especially Roge's takes.

pjme

Jo498

Maybe because paintings are also often inoffensive background "furniture" and a goal of Satie supposedly was also inoffensive background music (ameublement).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

nakulanb

Szykneij

Quote from: Jo498 on September 18, 2022, 01:46:47 AM
Maybe because paintings are also often inoffensive background "furniture" and a goal of Satie supposedly was also inoffensive background music (ameublement).

Interesting. While I agree Satie's music is certainly inoffensive, I find it very affective (as the o.p. apparently does). In fact, his music captures my attention moreso than many other composers. Perhaps, even though Satie himself coined the musique d'ameublement term, he understood the need to create pieces that were still musically interesting (at least) to the performer. Of course, I'm somewhat biased as Satie, Debussy, and Ravel are among my favorites.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Mandryka

He didn't aspire generally to writing furniture music. I don't experience his music generally in that way, I don't find it inoffensive, on the contrary, I find much of it utterly disorienting.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Paintings are more or less flat.
Some of Satie's music is flat too. There is not much counterpoint. It's quite often monophonic, more or less.

nakulanb

I believe everything is art in that all expresses an idea or an emotion. My favorite artforms are paintings (Gogh's Post-Impressionism), music (Satie's Piano Music), film (Burton's Alice in Wonderland) & novels (Shelley's Frankenstein).

Mandryka

Quote from: nakulanb on September 18, 2022, 05:15:29 PM
I believe everything is art in that all expresses an idea or an emotion. My favorite artforms are paintings (Pollock's Blue Poles), music (Satie's piano music), film (I'm not sure yet) & novels (Shelley's Frankenstein).

I think something they all have in common is that they all have a strong sense of individualistic style, it's appropriate and engaging for all ages, elegance in feel & dark themes that remain inoffensive.  That is what I consider art.

No one will deny it's art. But you said at first that you thought it was like a painting had been created. That Satie's music is painterly.

Jo498

Actual furniture can be beautiful and not just in the background and home decoration elements like curtains are mostly there for beauty.
FWIW I find Satie totally boring and detached, probably the least engaging semi-major composer I can think of.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

nakulanb

Quote from: Mandryka on September 18, 2022, 07:19:09 PM
No one will deny it's art. But you said at first that you thought it was like a painting had been created. That Satie's music is painterly.

And my point is, I think anyone can find any piece/song to be like a painting if they resonate with it and have a big enough imagination.  They must also have an interest in such ways of enjoying music.

I resonate with the above listed arts, I enjoy using my imagination to create visuals in my head and so I'm able to do that with my favorite works because they reflect my state of mind.

nakulanb

Quote from: Jo498 on September 18, 2022, 11:19:30 PM
Actual furniture can be beautiful and not just in the background and home decoration elements like curtains are mostly there for beauty.
FWIW I find Satie totally boring and detached, probably the least engaging semi-major composer I can think of.

I agree with you on the furniture take, not on the Satie take, but I respect your opinion.  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on September 18, 2022, 11:19:30 PM

Imagine someone tells you in no uncertain terms that they have fallen in love, that they have found what they have been searching for. And you reply, "oh well, I find her totally boring, one of the least engaging people I've ever met."

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on September 19, 2022, 02:04:32 AM
Imagine someone tells you in no uncertain terms that they have fallen in love, that they have found what they have been searching for. And you reply, "oh well, I find her totally boring, one of the least engaging people I've ever met."

Totally inappropriate, of course. I think people should try to refrain from chiming in with negative opinions in threads about composers they don't care for anyway, especially when the OP expressed their love and passion for the music.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

nakulanb

I can handle the negative reviews of Satie.  I know there are plenty that love him as well.

KevinP

Quote from: nakulanb on September 17, 2022, 05:49:27 PMI love this composer's music so much.  Why is it such that his music is the only, other than mine, that makes me feel like a painting has been created?

Does your own music feature much counterpoint?

I feel like counterpoint might make music more 'uniquely music' while melody+chords establishes a foreground and a background and hence may be more visual.

(I acknowledge that the visual arts are capable of their own variety of counterpoint.)

nakulanb

Quote from: KevinP on September 24, 2022, 02:48:08 PM
Does your own music feature much counterpoint?

I feel like counterpoint might make music more 'uniquely music' while melody+chords establishes a foreground and a background and hence may be more visual.

(I acknowledge that the visual arts are capable of their own variety of counterpoint.)

I think for me what I deam as visual is what sounds rather soft and tame, so it more so depends on the performer rather than the composer or the work.