My Paintings (Oil Pastels) (abstract expressionism?)

Started by nakulanb, September 19, 2022, 05:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nakulanb

I did these earlier today and am happy with the result.  In the first batch, take out no. 4 and look at the second link for its replacement, I wasn't happy with the OG one.

What genre do you think this is?

Do they do anything for you?

Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/nlXEreh
https://imgur.com/a/Bet1ZYk

vandermolen

They remind me a bit of Paul Klee's comment about 'taking a line for a walk'. I like the red and green complimentary colours.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

nakulanb

Quote from: vandermolen on September 19, 2022, 11:18:51 PM
They remind me a bit of Paul Klee's comment about 'taking a line for a walk'. I like the red and green complimentary colours.

Thanks, :).

nakulanb

nakulanb

I hadn't heard of Paul Klee before, I enjoy his work!

Mandryka

Quote from: nakulanb on September 20, 2022, 03:45:24 AM
I hadn't heard of Paul Klee before, I enjoy his work!

Klee's very very good I think.  But for me they they made me think of Matisse, but I'm not sure what. Possibly the cut-outs, possibly some of the backgrounds in his oils.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: Mandryka on September 20, 2022, 11:33:08 AM
Klee's very very good I think.  But for me they they made me think of Matisse, but I'm not sure what. Possibly the cut-outs, possibly some of the backgrounds in his oils.
Yes, I can relate to hat as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

nakulanb

Quote from: Mandryka on September 20, 2022, 11:33:08 AM

Thanks for the thoughts, I appreciated them very much!

:)

nakulanb

My favorite is 2 which I titled Tulip.  It's the one I kept.

Pohjolas Daughter

Have you been able to sell any of your paintings?  :)

I'm envious of anyone who can paint...and/or is at least brave enough to explore their creative side more.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

nakulanb

I don't try to sell.  I just wanted to create works to share with folks who are interested.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: nakulanb on September 21, 2022, 09:51:52 AM
I don't try to sell.  I just wanted to create works to share with folks who are interested.
Nice!  Have you been painting for many years?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 19, 2022, 11:20:51 PM
I like them. The simplicity is attractive.

+ 1.

They have a certain calming, nerve-soothing quality which is indeed not far from some Satie works. Btw, are you familiar with the piano music of Federico Mompou?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

nakulanb

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 21, 2022, 09:54:09 AM
Nice!  Have you been painting for many years?

PD

All my life, and I've gone through lots of different styles.

nakulanb

Quote from: Florestan on September 21, 2022, 09:56:27 AM
+ 1.

They have a certain calming, nerve-soothing quality which is indeed not far from some Satie works. Btw, are you familiar with the piano music of Federico Mompou?

Yes!  I enjoy some of them.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

pjme

nakulanb

One of my heroes is Lee Krasner, Pollock's wife.  I love her work.