Frank Martin

Started by not edward, September 01, 2007, 06:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

millionrainbows

My impression of Frank Martin is that he's a modernist who is still composing harmonically. Modernist in that he is using modernist ideas, like using the entire chromatic set, and using it geometrically instead of dividing the octave at the fourth and fifth. That leaves (not counting inversions) the intervals (in semitones): 1 (m2), 2 (M2), 3 (m3), 4 (M3), and tritone. That totals 6 intervals (the fourth and fifth are inversions of each other, so count as one).

As is usual in such modernist thinking, this tends towards 'diminished-itis', a result of inward-spiraling/recurring smaller intervals, opposed to the outgoing fourths and fifths of tonality. More localized focal-points are formed, pseudo-tonalities can 'cycle through the octaves fleetingly, kaleidoscopically, recursively, fractally self-similarly. His thinking, to me, is close to Bartok. His orchestration and ideas about form and instrumentation are one of his greatest strengths.

snyprrr

Quote from: Scion7 on August 28, 2017, 09:32:13 PM
*bump*

I've been plowing through Martin to reacquaint myself. I'm finding, as with Szymanowski, my last impressions still hold. His Works List is relatively small, and I don't think I discovered anything this time.

Other than the Vocal Music, for which I'm just not going to venture, this is what I found:

1) Piano Music: many recitals of the 'Complete'. I just can't get excited.   
     Passacaille for organ: nice meditative start which I felt was marred by the loud tail- not my bag
     ***Sonata da Chiesa for organ and flute: this I like!

2) Chamber Music: in general, I'm not finding anything that I'm particularly excited about. The 1965 String Quartet (Amati/SQ/Divox) is still his masterpiece here, and it "sounds like Martin" to a high degree. I call it the "cortege sound", if you understand that Martinu-like rhythmic motif (like a "jump" beat) that Martin seems to use in all his music.

3) Concertos:

Piano 1 (1934)- this one's aaalright, but I'm normally not eager for more French styled PCs.
Piano 2 (1969)- obviously more interest... mm,... eh...

Harpsichord (1954)- powerful opening, but it wore on me a little by the end.

Violin (1951)- I don't know why I don't love this,... I just don't get it

Polyptyque (Violin No.2;1971)- I heard the Jecklin, which was very passionate. I imagine the more modern issues would be even more sumptuous. Though not really my cup of tea, I found this the most powerful of the works I heard.

Cello (1965)- I NEED to hear this

7 Winds (1949)- I just don't go for this, or the Etudes,... eh

Erasmi Monumentum- not my bag
Four Elements- sufficiently different from the normal Martin sound
Symphonie- not my bag

I already have all the little bits... the Chandos 'Ballade' CD may be the single best Martin disc!

As far as PETITE goes, I have Wand. I tried many others... who do you like?

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> and if you want something a bit wee'r try >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FazDrecgV2M

>>>>>>> or for a more Magyar take on it that emphasizes the forced evacuation of those sheep-herding Vlachs out of Transylvania try >>>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxVZAml4kV8

;D

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

snyprrr

Quote from: Scion7 on August 30, 2017, 08:32:44 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> and if you want something a bit wee'r try >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FazDrecgV2M

>>>>>>> or for a more Magyar take on it that emphasizes the forced evacuation of those sheep-herding Vlachs out of Transylvania try >>>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxVZAml4kV8

;D

Don't get me wrong. That ' Ballades' disc is great. PSC is ever so charming. I have a special place for Frank Martin; but, I want to like more of him and I'm not getting there yet.

'The Four Elements' sounds about the most interesting...?...

musicrom

I heard his Violin Concerto performed live by Baiba Skride a few years ago. It was pretty cool.

Mirror Image

Frank Martin is a fabulous composer. Works of his such as the Requiem, Golgotha, the Cello Concerto, the Ballades, Polyptyque, and In terra pax are nothing short than extraordinary. It's always baffled me as to why he's not better known, but I'm sure it more or less has to do with how his musical voice is sometimes rather ambiguous and he doesn't go for the grab-you-by-the-throat climaxes a la Shostakovich or Bartok. His art is of subtlety and color. Once you start investigating the music and really listen to how it all fits together, you start to understand that he actually had quite a singular voice.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 01, 2017, 06:30:04 PM
Frank Martin is a fabulous composer. Works of his such as the Requiem, Golgotha, the Cello Concerto, the Ballades, Polyptyque, and In terra pax are nothing short than extraordinary. It's always baffled me as to why he's not better known, but I'm sure it more or less has to do with how his musical voice is sometimes rather ambiguous and he doesn't go for the grab-you-by-the-throat climaxes a la Shostakovich or Bartok. His art is of subtlety and color. Once you start investigating the music and really listen to how it all fits together, you start to understand that he actually had quite a singular voice.
V much agree with this.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

The new erato

Me too John. I think you hit the spot in your analysis. And to the works let me add Der Cornett, a fabulous song cycle for soprano and string orchestra

vandermolen

I had an uncle who was married to a Swiss lady. I remember him telling me that Frank Martin was his favourite composer.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on September 01, 2017, 11:32:53 PM
Me too John. I think you hit the spot in your analysis. And to the works let me add Der Cornett, a fabulous song cycle for soprano and string orchestra

Thanks, erato. Yes, that's another fine work (Der Cornett). I'll also just add that Martin's chamber music is quite delectable.

snyprrr

Frank Martin is a fabulous composer. Works of his such as the Requiem, Golgotha, the Cello Concerto, the Ballades, Polyptyque, and In terra pax are nothing short than extraordinary. It's always baffled me as to why he's not better known, but I'm sure it more or less has to do with how his musical voice is sometimes rather ambiguous and he doesn't go for the grab-you-by-the-throat climaxes a la Shostakovich or Bartok. His art is of subtlety and color. Once you start investigating the music and really listen to how it all fits together, you start to understand that he actually had quite a singular voice.s

But, like Martinu, he had a perpetual motif in most of the mature works that has left me wanting what I have: the Petite, the Chandos Ballades, and the String Quartet, and some random trifles. Maybe I'll try 'in terra pax',...?...

kyjo

Martin is one of the forgotten masters of the 20th century, IMO. I had the rare opportunity to attend a live performance of his "In terra pax" this summer by the Grant Park Orchestra and Chorus. What a moving, uplifting work.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

The new erato

I've been fortunate enough to see Le Vin herbé (another masterpiece) live under Masaaki Suzuki here in Bergen.

Daverz

Listened to a favorite tonight, the Concerto for seven wind instruments, timpani, percussion, and string orchestra in the Martinon/Chicago box.  Brilliant.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Atterbergman on September 05, 2017, 03:12:51 PM
Martin is one of the forgotten masters of the 20th century, IMO. I had the rare opportunity to attend a live performance of his "In terra pax" this summer by the Grant Park Orchestra and Chorus. What a moving, uplifting work.

Clearly not forgotten by us here on GMG! ;D

Rons_talking

I was transfixed the first time I heard Martin's Mass for double choir and later, Golgotha and the two PCs and the Cello Concerto. But I'm guilty of neglecting some of the works mentioned in the thread. He is worthy of being the "headliner" but he seems underappreciated for whatever reason.

André

Quote from: The new erato on September 05, 2017, 09:49:07 PM
I've been fortunate enough to see Le Vin herbé (another masterpiece) live under Masaaki Suzuki here in Bergen.

Fantastic !

People around Washington DC had that opportunity last weekend:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/when-it-comes-to-opera-it-doesnt-have-to-be-grand-to-be-good-case-in-point-le-vin-herbe/2019/02/11/652ce090-2e2f-11e9-813a-0ab2f17e305b_story.html?utm_term=.842052f5a0c1

https://www.wolftrap.org/calendar/performance/1819barns/0209show19.aspx

Maybe this production will travel ? Keep an eye for it. Le vin herbé is IMHO Martin's masterpiece.