Frank Martin

Started by not edward, September 01, 2007, 06:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uhor

Getting into his works. So far the mass, the petite sinfonia concertante and the Clavicembalo Concerto I consider big hits.

Daverz

I think this may be the best recording of the Violin Concerto since Schneiderhan recorded it with the composer conducting.

premont

Quote from: Uhor on January 22, 2022, 10:24:57 AM
Getting into his works. So far the mass, the petite sinfonia concertante and the Clavicembalo Concerto I consider big hits.

Completely agree, we are fortunate to have both those in excellent recordings, but the violin concerto isn't that bad either.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Daverz on January 22, 2022, 11:55:09 AM
I think this may be the best recording of the Violin Concerto since Schneiderhan recorded it with the composer conducting.

It may be just me, but I find Schneiderhan's recording with Ansermet better than his recording with Martin.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Daverz

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 22, 2022, 01:01:48 PM
It may be just me, but I find Schneiderhan's recording with Ansermet better than his recording with Martin.

I "learned" the work from the Ansermet recording, but the sonics of the older recording always got in the way for me.  I haven't listened to it in a long time, though.

Anyway, I recommend the Roussev recording.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on January 22, 2022, 11:55:09 AM

Never cared for the Schneiderhan recordings (either one of them). I haven't heard this new Claves recording, but the recording that sold me on the Martin Violin Concerto was this one:

And the performance that sold me on the Cello Concerto was this one:

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 22, 2022, 07:04:21 PM
Never cared for the Schneiderhan recordings (either one of them). I haven't heard this new Claves recording, but the recording that sold me on the Martin Violin Concerto was this one:

And the performance that sold me on the Cello Concerto was this one:

Yes, the Poltera recording is a real beauty.  I think I might have heard the Cello Concerto on a Louisville recording, not sure.  But Poltera's recording is the one I paid attention to.

Just did a proper accounting.  In addtion to Roussev and the two Schneiderhan recordings of the Violin Concerto, I have

Baiba Skride
Michael Erxleben
Dene Olding
Stuart Canin
Paul Kling

So I'm a bit obsessed with the work.  I'd forgotten about Canin and Kling, though.  Perhaps I should give all those a re-listen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on January 22, 2022, 08:29:19 PM
Yes, the Poltera recording is a real beauty.  I think I might have heard the Cello Concerto on a Louisville recording, not sure.  But Poltera's recording is the one I paid attention to.

Just did a proper accounting.  In addtion to Roussev and the two Schneiderhan recordings of the Violin Concerto, I have

Baiba Skride
Michael Erxleben
Dene Olding
Stuart Canin
Paul Kling

So I'm a bit obsessed with the work.  I'd forgotten about Canin and Kling, though.  Perhaps I should give all those a re-listen.

Didn't realize there were that many Martin VC recordings out there. I only have the Skride, Erxleben and the Schneiderhan (w/ Ansermet). You've certainly piqued my interest in the Roussev, so I might be getting it soon.

kyjo

I really ought to listen to Martin more often - he was a great composer. I hold in very high esteem his Petite Symphonie Concertante, In terra pax, Mass for Double Choir, Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto, the delightful (Piano) Trio sur des mélodies populaires irlandaises, and the beautiful early Piano Quintet.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on January 23, 2022, 07:18:33 AM
I really ought to listen to Martin more often - he was a great composer. I hold in very high esteem his Petite Symphonie Concertante, In terra pax, Mass for Double Choir, Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto, the delightful (Piano) Trio sur des mélodies populaires irlandaises, and the beautiful early Piano Quintet.

All of these works are outstanding, Kyle, although I'm not much of a fan of a cappella choral music. I do like Martin's works with voices and orchestra (or ensemble) of course. Do you know the Requiem, Golgotha, Le Mystère de la Nativité, Le vin herbé or Cantate pour le temps de Noël? If not, you definitely should remedy this, ASAP! Also, and I know you're not a fan of operatic music, but Der Sturm (his only opera) is remarkable. Check out his String Quartet while you're at it. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on September 05, 2017, 11:56:09 PM
Listened to a favorite tonight, the Concerto for seven wind instruments, timpani, percussion, and string orchestra in the Martinon/Chicago box.  Brilliant.

Oh...I must hear this as I also own the Martinon Chicago box set. So much music, so little time.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2022, 06:55:08 AM
All of these works are outstanding, Kyle, although I'm not much of a fan of a cappella choral music. I do like Martin's works with voices and orchestra (or ensemble) of course. Do you know the Requiem, Golgotha, Le Mystère de la Nativité, Le vin herbé or Cantate pour le temps de Noël? If not, you definitely should remedy this, ASAP! Also, and I know you're not a fan of operatic music, but Der Sturm (his only opera) is remarkable. Check out his String Quartet while you're at it. :)

I'm not much of a fan of a cappella choral music either, but I must make an exception for Martin's beautiful Mass. I'm not yet familiar with any of the works you mention, so I look forward to exploring them in the near future! Martin was certainly a prolific composer of vocal music. Actually, I don't have anything against opera, it's just usually quite a time commitment for me. ;)

Also, what do members here think of Martin's sole Symphony (recorded by Chandos)? I haven't heard it yet.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on January 25, 2022, 12:41:53 PM
I'm not much of a fan of a cappella choral music either, but I must make an exception for Martin's beautiful Mass. I'm not yet familiar with any of the works you mention, so I look forward to exploring them in the near future! Martin was certainly a prolific composer of vocal music. Actually, I don't have anything against opera, it's just usually quite a time commitment for me. ;)

Also, what do members here think of Martin's sole Symphony (recorded by Chandos)? I haven't heard it yet.

The Symphony is excellent, but it's been years since I've listened to it properly. Another work you've got to hear is the orchestral suite Les quatre éléments.

Symphonic Addict

Just listened to Pavane couleur du temps for string orchestra on the strength of Martin's advocacy recently. Intensely moving and lyric with something of a lament. This kind of lyricism is very characteristic of him. Absolutely enchanting, bewitching in a sort of way.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2022, 12:46:38 PM
The Symphony is excellent, but it's been years since I've listened to it properly. Another work you've got to hear is the orchestral suite Les quatre éléments.

Yes for the Symphony and I yet have to be familiar tith Those Four Elements.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 25, 2022, 07:06:46 PM
Just listened to Pavane couleur du temps for string orchestra on the strength of Martin's advocacy recently. Intensely moving and lyric with something of a lament. This kind of lyricism is very characteristic of him. Absolutely enchanting, bewitching in a sort of way.

Oh yes, that's a beautiful work! I've heard the original version for string quintet on this excellent disc featuring Martin's earlier chamber works:

The delightful gem of a Piano Trio on Irish Folksongs has done quite well on disc, but I believe this is the only recording of the early Piano Quintet, which basks in the same warm Impressionist rays that illuminate the chamber works of Ravel and Jean Cras.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 25, 2022, 07:08:39 PM
Yes for the Symphony and I yet have to be familiar tith Those Four Elements.

There are two recordings of Les quatre éléments (Haitink and Bamert). Do give a listen to the Bamert. All of Bamert's Martin recordings on Chandos (five in all) are essential acquisitions for the Martin enthusiast.

The new erato

I've "always" as in a long time back liked Frank Martin a lot, but the work that really conviced me of his genius is the songcycle Der Cornet which nobody here seem to mention, The Orfeo recording ids the best of the 3 I own.

Otherwise lots of great recommendations here. His works for voices (oratorios, Mass etc) are great, and I like to throw in a recommendation for Bamert's Chandos disc of the Ballades.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on January 26, 2022, 12:38:47 AM
I've "always" as in a long time back liked Frank Martin a lot, but the work that really convinced me of his genius is the song cycle Der Cornet which nobody here seem to mention, The Orfeo recording ids the best of the 3 I own.

Otherwise lots of great recommendations here. His works for voices (oratorios, Mass etc) are great, and I like to throw in a recommendation for Bamert's Chandos disc of the Ballades.

Der Cornet is a fine work, indeed, erato. I should revisit this work today. I own the Orfeo and MDG recording (I like both recordings and won't pick a favorite as they both have their own strengths/weaknesses). Another work that doesn't get mentioned enough is his only opera, Der Sturm. Such an outstanding piece.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2022, 06:00:30 AM
Der Cornet is a fine work, indeed, erato. I should revisit this work today. I own the Orfeo and MDG recording (I like both recordings and won't pick a favorite as they both have their own strengths/weaknesses). Another work that doesn't get mentioned enough is his only opera, Der Sturm. Such an outstanding piece.
I have the CD from the Casavelle label, with Brigitte Balleys.
I actually bought the CD because I love Rilke.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.