Composers who were also painters/sculptors

Started by vandermolen, September 23, 2022, 02:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

A few come to mind. The Lithuanian composer Ciurlionis was, I think, a very talented painter

Also Arnold Schoenberg and William Alwyn:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

Am I wrong in recalling that those Hickox Alwyn records feature paintings not by the composer himself, but by his wife (the composer Doreen Carwithen aka Mary Alwyn)?

Ciurlionis' paintings are amazing! But I have not heard any of his music.

Lisztianwagner

Apart from Schönberg, George Gershwin and Felix Mendelssohn were also painters.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

MusicTurner

Some other composers that also did paintings were Gösta Nystroem, Carl Ruggles, Lord Berners, Dane Rudhyar, and to some extent Satie and Martinu (drawings, cartoons), Wyshnegradsky (mosaic pictures) ...

Jo498

E.T.A. Hoffmann (of Kreisleriana, Contes d'Hoffmann, Coppelia, Nutcracker etc. fame) was mainly a writer, but also a good composer and caricaturist/illustrator. Composer/musician might have been his dream career and he worked for a short time as Kapellmeister but was overall unlucky in the field of music and eventually had to work as a law clerk to support himself.

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 23, 2022, 02:37:20 PM
Am I wrong in recalling that those Hickox Alwyn records feature paintings not by the composer himself, but by his wife (the composer Doreen Carwithen aka Mary Alwyn)?

Ciurlionis' paintings are amazing! But I have not heard any of his music.
No, they are by William Alwyn according to the booklets.

Try 'The Sea' by Ciurlionis - a beautifully poetic and atmospheric score.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Thanks for interesting replies. I had no idea, for example, that Gershwin and Mendelssohn were painters.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on September 24, 2022, 12:38:41 PM
Thanks for interesting replies. I had no idea, for example, that Gershwin and Mendelssohn were painters.
According to a ClassicFM website (just googled), both George and Ira Gershwin, and also their sister, were painters.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 25, 2022, 08:12:11 AM
According to a ClassicFM website (just googled), both George and Ira Gershwin, and also their sister, were painters.

PD
Also interesting. Thanks PD

DaveF

Hindemith too - the website has a selection:

https://www.hindemith.info/en/life-work/drawings/

And Haydn wasn't a painter or sculptor, as far as I know, but used to make jokes about being a potter, Tonkünstler meaning "clay artist" as well as "composer".
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

pjme