Favourite/most important piece composed during your lifetime?

Started by KevinP, October 27, 2022, 02:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinP

Title says it all.

You can even pick two: one personal favourite and one most important.

The older you are, the more choices you have.

Can't be a piece you composed. :-)

bhodges

Only because I heard it live a few weeks ago (by the Curtis Institute 20/21 Ensemble), going to go with Louis Andriessen's Workers Union (1975). Anticipating the concert, I felt like I was about to hear the Eroica, no joke. Andriessen was highly influential to a generation of composers since, and this is one of his most iconic creations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workers_Union_(Andriessen)

Runners-up, which I would look forward to with equal enthusiasm:

Wolfgang Rihm: Jagden und Formen (1995-2001)
Frederic Rzewski: De Profundis (1995)
Luciano Berio: Sinfonia (1968)

-Bruce

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

KevinP

I'm still considering mine. It will most likely be Shostakovich, but probably not that one (good as it is).

bhodges

I forgot that one of my favorites, No. 11, is from 1957, so it would just barely qualify. ;D But all of the later ones would make great choices, too.

-Bruce

Maestro267

Interesting question. How do we define "most important" piece? I don't even know if anything written since 1989 has genuinely entered the Core Repertoire of regularly-performed concert works that put bums in seats.

Wanderer

Well, Turangalîla-Symphonie was revised in 1990, so that's my pick in both categories. 😇😎

71 dB

I don't know. Too difficult question. Makes my brain hurt...

Pärt? Glass? What work?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Jo498

can one systematically search for compositions in a date range? I am not sufficiently versed in music of the last 50 years to know the dates...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Papy Oli

Summa by Arvo Pärt came to mind first (in its different incarnations), with 3 years to spare  0:)
Olivier

aukhawk

I think probably Britten's War Requiem.  Though I'm more than old enough to include DSCH Preludes & Fugues Op.87 !!

(Actually, I was tempted to put the cat among the pigeons by suggesting John Coltrane's A Love Supreme.   :-\  )

Mandryka

Some important pieces, things which really fundamentally altered how people understood what music can be, are

Cornelius Cardew's Treatise
Luc Ferrari's Presque Rien
Helmut Lachenmann's Gran Torsso
Trevor Wishart's Red Bird
John Zorn's Goddard/Spillane
Eliane Radigue's Trilogie
Stockhausen's Hymnen

That there are so many is in itself quite interesting.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ritter

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

j winter

This is a very low-brow answer, and says a lot about my ignorance of late 20th century serious music...  but if we're talking about the work that has received the most playtime and has provided the most pleasure in my lifetime, then it's not even close for me...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

pjme

For me

Britten's War requiem ( deeply impressed after the first live performance)
Penderecki's Saint Luke's passion (idem)

( and, because live concerts: Messiaen 's In expecto , Saint François, Ligeti Requiem)

relm1

Quote from: j winter on October 28, 2022, 05:42:33 AM
This is a very low-brow answer, and says a lot about my ignorance of late 20th century serious music...  but if we're talking about the work that has received the most playtime and has provided the most pleasure in my lifetime, then it's not even close for me...

Great answer and this is Johnny's finest.

Maestro267

Favourites on the other hand is a bit easier and a bit more relaxing, without the whole philosophical debate required when importance is brought up. Some of mine:

MacMillan - The Confession of Isobel Gowdie (1990)
Schnittke - Cello Concerto No. 2 (1990)
Lloyd - A Symphonic Mass (1993)
Adés - Asyla (1997)
Penderecki - Piano Concerto (2002)
Norman - Sustain (2018)

bhodges

Loving all these lists and comments, and making me revise slightly, after being reminded of some of these pieces.

Favorite: Berio Sinfonia. One of my entry points to 20th century music, and brain still lights up whenever it's scheduled on a program.
Most important: Lachenmann Gran Torso. First heard it by an Ensemble Sospeso string quartet years ago, and came away impressed but stumped. What are all these scratching sounds? Changed my life.

-Bruce