Favourite/most important piece composed during your lifetime?

Started by KevinP, October 27, 2022, 02:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: j winter on October 28, 2022, 05:42:33 AM
This is a very low-brow answer, and says a lot about my ignorance of late 20th century serious music...  but if we're talking about the work that has received the most playtime and has provided the most pleasure in my lifetime, then it's not even close for me...

Why not? It's a great score, from one of the 20th century's masters at film music.

-Bruce

Florestan

OTOMH, Karl Henning - Out in the Sun and Nuhro.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

DaveF

Quote from: KevinP on October 27, 2022, 02:36:43 PM
Title says it all.

Yes, much more subtle (and more fun) than "How old are you?"

High up on both lists for me, from two composers not yet mentioned:

Stravinsky: Requiem Canticles
Birtwistle: Earth Dances
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on October 28, 2022, 05:24:48 AM
How is importance determined?

Yes, I hazarded a definition. The piece is important if it fundamentally altered how some people understood what music can be -- people who are exploring what it means to make new music which is broadly "classical"

I thought of mentioning Glass's Einstein on the Beach, but I think it's importance is really to do with the libretto and Robert Wilson's staging, the sound content is relatively conservative. But I should have included Reich's It's Gonna Rain I think. And I also should have mentioned something by Alvin Lucier possibly  -- Sferics maybe. Fluxus composers too.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

LKB

Shostakovich's Symphony No. 13, which usually carries the unauthorized subtitle of Babi Yar.

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Lisztianwagner

I rarely listen to so contemporary music, but it could be:

Penderecki: Symphony No. 3 (1995)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 28, 2022, 10:46:50 AM
I rarely listen to so contemporary music, but it could be:

Penderecki: Symphony No. 3 (1995)
Thank you for reminding me that I want to check out more of his music.  :)

My choice:  Hildegard von Bingen's O virga ac diadema

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

AaronSF

One of my favorites is George Crumb's "Ancient Voices of Children," which really impressed me when I first heard it in 1970.  Also Corigliano's Symphony No. 1, "Of Rage and Remembrance," written in 1988 in response to the AIDS pandemic.  A searing work.

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 28, 2022, 10:57:40 AM
My choice:  Hildegard von Bingen's O virga ac diadema

You were already born when she composed it?  ??? ??? ???
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Wanderer

Wanderer

Quote from: j winter on October 28, 2022, 05:42:33 AM
This is a very low-brow answer, and says a lot about my ignorance of late 20th century serious music...  but if we're talking about the work that has received the most playtime and has provided the most pleasure in my lifetime, then it's not even close for me...

This is not at all low-brow. An excellent choice!

And speaking of classical music of extraordinary quality written for films during our lifetimes, my choice would be either this (John Williams' music for Star Wars: 1977-1983) or Basil Poledouris' music for Conan the Barbarian (1982).

As for contemporary opera, my choice would be Birtwistle's The Minotaur (2008).

Wanderer

Quote from: pjme on October 28, 2022, 06:00:00 AM
...and, because live concerts...

Speaking of memorable live concerts of contemporary music we have attended, the one that most lingers in my memory is the Austrian premiere of Tüür's Sow the wind... (2015), with the composer present. Most contemporary pieces I've heard in concert (quite a lot, apparently, the way they sneak them in programs nowadays!☠️) have proven to be more or less (to be kind) unworthwhile. Not this one.
That concert also included a very fine rendition of Mozart's "Jeunehomme" concerto with the late Lars Vogt and a very loud (and very fine in the quieter moments) Also sprach Zarathustra.
Wiener Symphoniker under Paavo Järvi, 22 April 2016.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on October 28, 2022, 08:55:51 PM
You were already born when she composed it?  ??? ??? ???
Quote from: Wanderer on October 28, 2022, 09:14:00 PM
Who are you, Galadriel? 😎

;D
I'm hoping that someone here (including you all) knew that I was joking?  Although I do love the idea of being Galadriel!   :)  I'll run with that!  8)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Wanderer

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 28, 2022, 11:26:40 PM
;D
I'm hoping that someone here (including you all) knew that I was joking?  Although I do love the idea of being Galadriel!   :)  I'll run with that!  8)

PD

I thought you found a loophole (e.g. because of a recent new edition of the piece). Or, you know, you actually being one of the Eldar. An excellent choice of music, regardless! 😎

KevinP

Quote from: Todd on October 28, 2022, 05:24:48 AM
How is importance determined?

Up to you, obviously. If you feel your definition needs an explanation, provide one.

aukhawk

Quote from: Mandryka on October 28, 2022, 08:09:54 AM
Yes, I hazarded a definition. The piece is important if it fundamentally altered how some people understood what music can be -- people who are exploring what it means to make new music which is broadly "classical"

I thought of mentioning Glass's Einstein on the Beach, but I think it's importance is really to do with the libretto and Robert Wilson's staging, the sound content is relatively conservative. But I should have included Reich's It's Gonna Rain I think. And I also should have mentioned something by Alvin Lucier possibly  -- Sferics maybe. Fluxus composers too.

In terms of seminal influence over subsequent musics including Reich and Glass and huge swathes since - Terry Riley's In C

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.9

Shostakovich: Symphony No.11 'The Year 1905'

(+1 for Basil Poledouris 'Conan the Barbarian')
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

Quote from: KevinP on October 29, 2022, 12:36:47 AMUp to you, obviously.

It was not obvious, hence the question.  Since there is no meaningful definition, the works or lists will simply reflect personal tastes, as per usual.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on October 29, 2022, 03:54:51 AM
It was not obvious, hence the question.  Since there is no meaningful definition, the works or lists will simply reflect personal tastes, as per usual.

Not quite, the ones in my list do not reflect my taste in terms of "my favourite" or "music which I enjoy". It maybe reflects a view about aesthetics which I believe is convincing,  but that's quite a different matter.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

pjme

Quote from: AaronSF on October 28, 2022, 02:19:48 PM
One of my favorites is George Crumb's "Ancient Voices of Children," which really impressed me when I first heard it in 1970.

Yes, definitely another contender from the early 1970-ies.
A bit later I heard Crumb's "Star child" ( on the radio - possibly a radio broadcast of the first performance with Boulez???).
The trombone-soprano duet still is a knock out.
The cd recording on Bridge is afaik the only one.