What Sushi Do You Like?

Started by Dry Brett Kavanaugh, February 13, 2024, 11:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

My favorites are Kohada (GIZZARD SHAD), Mackerel, and eel.

Spotted Horses

I guess "California rolls from the supermarket" is the equivalent of coming here and saying "Fur Elise" is the greatest work of Beethoven. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 13, 2024, 12:45:59 PMI guess "California rolls from the supermarket" is the equivalent of coming here and saying "Fur Elise" is the greatest work of Beethoven. :)

I like Cali Rolls! (Fur Elise too!)

DavidW

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 13, 2024, 01:10:39 PMI like Cali Rolls! (Fur Elise too!)

Years ago I saw the film "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" and dreamed of having real Sushi someday. That would be the Hammarklavier of Sushi, I suppose.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 13, 2024, 01:57:15 PMYears ago I saw the film "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" and dreamed of having real Sushi someday. That would be the Hammarklavier of Sushi, I suppose.

;D   I must watch the video!

71 dB

I have never had Sushi in my life.

I don't know how Sushi is eaten. I have never tried "sticks."
I don't have Japanese friends to teach/show me.
Maybe there are instruction videos on Youtube about eating Sushi?
If I was rich, I would be trying out foods of the World. I don't
even know how expensive it is to eat Sushi in Helsinki.

The only thing I know is I like Wasabi. I like Wasabi-flavored nuts. Yum!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Jo498

I had it a few times when I visited a friend who was living in Hawaii at that time almost 20 years ago as it was common there, even as takeaway food and that friend and his wife liked it a lot (it was also the only kind of meat they ate, they have become vegans since then), but I never ate it again, not being overly fond of it.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

springrite

Uni (Sea urchin, yes, that yellow sticky thing...)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

KevinP

Uni here too. I don't think I could eat a steady diet of it, but I do love it.

springrite

Quote from: KevinP on February 14, 2024, 03:50:07 AMUni here too. I don't think I could eat a steady diet of it, but I do love it.
A steady diet of Uni would also be awfully expensive!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Pohjolas Daughter

Boy, I'm all over the place!  Haven't had mackerel in many years; I'll have to revisit it.  Also, don't think that I've ever had gizzard shad and never uni, so I'll have to give them a go.

Love salmon, tuna (don't think that I've had toro before if so, it was many moons ago), so that's added to the list!  ;D  As I've mentioned in the past, I love unagi...yum... Enjoy yellowtail too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I love uni, sea urchin. I've never seen gizzard shad sushi in the USA. Somebody told me that it is not even considered as a food in the country (eel either). It's used for fishing.

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 14, 2024, 05:35:43 AMLove salmon, tuna (don't think that I've had toro before if so, it was many moons ago), so that's added to the list!  ;D  As I've mentioned in the past, I love unagi...yum... Enjoy yellowtail too.

PD

Yes I love yellowtail and tuna, how did I forget that!?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 14, 2024, 06:33:49 AMI love uni, sea urchin. I've never seen gizzard shad sushi in the USA. Somebody told me that it is not even considered as a food in the country (eel either). It's used for fishing.
I read that today (about gizzard shad)!  Seems that it's used for bait.  I haven't ever seen eel at my fishmongers, but I often order some if I go to a Japanese restaurant.

Quote from: DavidW on February 14, 2024, 06:37:25 AMYes I love yellowtail and tuna, how did I forget that!?
I forgot to mention shrimp too!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on February 13, 2024, 01:24:16 PMSpicy salmon
I'm a fan of spicy tuna myself.   :)

Dragon rolls are enjoyable--and filling too!

Must admit though, I think that you can taste the quality of the fish better when there isn't so much "stuff" on it.

Anyone here enjoy any vegetarian rolls?  There's a place not too far away which used to make a nice Buddha roll (which had peanuts in it).

Also, fans of seaweed salads? I'm one.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: 71 dB on February 14, 2024, 12:56:00 AMI have never had Sushi in my life.

I'm sure that there must be more than one video on how to use chopsticks.

Ask around as to which restaurants people like to eat at.  Do you have any friends who like sushi?  If so, suggest getting together and going to a place that they like and also let them know that you're a newbie to sushi and would appreciate any suggestions and pointers.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: 71 dB on February 14, 2024, 12:56:00 AMI have never had Sushi in my life.

Just use fork and spoon. No need instruction to eat sushi. The cost is approximately similar to that of dining at a French restaurant.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 13, 2024, 11:07:32 AMMy favorites are Kohada (GIZZARD SHAD), Mackerel, and eel.

I just realized that none of the sushi above is raw. Kohada and Mackerel are marinated while eel is barbecued.

brewski

I love sushi—pretty much anything mentioned above. Perhaps the tuna, yellowtail, and salmon are favorites.

That said, I don't eat it all that often, since I am a little wary of the quality of the fish at some places (e.g., a corner deli with trays of sushi in the refrigerated section). But maybe 3-4 times a year, at a good Japanese restaurant with a nice bottle of sake...definitely yes. :)

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)