Anybody considering leaving Twitter?

Started by Spotted Horses, October 30, 2022, 07:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: foxandpeng on November 03, 2022, 06:37:59 AM
Yes it is, because they all do unless heavily moderated. This already is. Same inanities and sleeping semtex.

No offence intended, of course.

We'll see what we see.  I appreciate the causes for your cynicism,  but defeatism creates self-fulfilling prophecies.  You know,  even though the means exists to completely control everything that gets published here,  it doesn't gain anything for the group as a whole to only allow 'approved' points of view.

The OP should have started a poll instead,  it's a yes or no question,  innit?

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 03, 2022, 07:15:48 AM
We'll see what we see.  I appreciate the causes for your cynicism,  but defeatism creates self-fulfilling prophecies.  You know,  even though the means exists to completely control everything that gets published here,  it doesn't gain anything for the group as a whole to only allow 'approved' points of view.

The OP should have started a poll instead,  it's a yes or no question,  innit?

8)

I know the answer will be no. I'm more interested in the reasons.

Twitter is not a much of a money making enterprise, Musk overpaid based on a bluff he got called on. It is some sort of ego trip for him, which is not good if Twitter is indeed a platform people actually depend on for information.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

bhodges

I'm on Twitter quite a bit, both personally and professionally. At the moment, I'm in "wait and see" mode, depending on what happens in the next few weeks or months. Musk's behavior so far is not particularly encouraging, if plans are true to decimate Twitter's staff, not to mention his own mockery of some of Twitter's users. Mostly, I like the platform. I curate my own feed strongly, and have blocked thousands of accounts that are either bots, or a waste of time and energy. There are many people and accounts worth following, so I try to focus on those. But I'm also keeping an eye on Bluesky, the platform under development by Twitter's creator, Jack Dorsey, and am on the lookout for other new ones.

Social media is great (like GMG, for instance), but I also strongly believe in stepping away from the computer and taking a walk, or cooking something delicious, or going to a concert, or having dinner with friends. (Last Sunday, a three-hour Moroccan lunch was divine, with no one pulling out their phones.)

I do agree with the comment above about Musk overpaying on a bluff. He seems to think that the whole thing is a bit of a joke, which in my book, doesn't bode well for the platform's future. But again, we will see what happens.

-Bruce

Brian

Quote from: Brewski on November 03, 2022, 08:32:13 AM
Social media is great (like GMG, for instance), but I also strongly believe in stepping away from the computer and taking a walk, or cooking something delicious, or going to a concert, or having dinner with friends. (Last Sunday, a three-hour Moroccan lunch was divine, with no one pulling out their phones.)

I think stepping away from social media is good for the mental health, especially Twitter, which given the state of the USA and the world these days is a constant barrage of bad news, scandals, corruption, trolling, fascism, etc. This weekend I took a long break for a quick vacation, didn't miss Twitter for a second, came back, signed on, and remembered just how different my view of the world is when I'm hooked up to the Twitter machine.

He seems to think that the whole thing is a bit of a joke, which in my book, doesn't bode well for the platform's future. But again, we will see what happens.

-Bruce
Yup. Did you see the kerfuffle overnight where Rep. Ocasio-Cortez tweeted a joke (that he spent $44 billion on the purchase and all he can think to do is to go around asking people for $8 subscriptions), and in response, Musk had Twitter block AOC from viewing her notifications, interactions, and replies? His "oversight" is quickly devolving into schoolyard humor.

Obviously, my first instinct now is to use my whole account to make Elon Musk jokes, but for professional reasons it's wiser for me to stay engaged and hope it's a useful tool going forward.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on November 03, 2022, 08:43:49 AM
I think stepping away from social media is good for the mental health, especially Twitter, which given the state of the USA and the world these days is a constant barrage of bad news, scandals, corruption, trolling, fascism, etc. This weekend I took a long break for a quick vacation, didn't miss Twitter for a second, came back, signed on, and remembered just how different my view of the world is when I'm hooked up to the Twitter machine.

Enthusiastic yes.

Quote from: Brian on November 03, 2022, 08:43:49 AM
Yup. Did you see the kerfuffle overnight where Rep. Ocasio-Cortez tweeted a joke (that he spent $44 billion on the purchase and all he can think to do is to go around asking people for $8 subscriptions), and in response, Musk had Twitter block AOC from viewing her notifications, interactions, and replies? His "oversight" is quickly devolving into schoolyard humor.

Obviously, my first instinct now is to use my whole account to make Elon Musk jokes, but for professional reasons it's wiser for me to stay engaged and hope it's a useful tool going forward.

I did see that, and thought it more than a bit juvenile. ::) If this is the way he's going to run things, then I will likely bail eventually. Also, as with some other billionaires, my respect for him would increase if he were to apply even a fraction of his net worth (currently $210 billion) to solving any number of social problems—I don't care, just pick one: hunger, housing, education, social justice, etc. Imagine how any of those could benefit from a $44 billion infusion, or even a $2 billion infusion.

But no, he's spending $44 billion to engage in silly banter about monetizing the platform. If he's not going to take his purchase seriously—and use it for good—I'm not sure I should spend much time there.

-Bruce

Pohjolas Daughter

I'm on Twitter quite a bit, both personally and professionally. At the moment, I'm in "wait and see" mode, depending on what happens in the next few weeks or months. Musk's behavior so far is not particularly encouraging, if plans are true to decimate Twitter's staff, not to mention his own mockery of some of Twitter's users. Mostly, I like the platform. I curate my own feed strongly, and have blocked thousands of accounts that are either bots, or a waste of time and energy. There are many people and accounts worth following, so I try to focus on those. But I'm also keeping an eye on Bluesky, the platform under development by Twitter's creator, Jack Dorsey, and am on the lookout for other new ones.

I do agree with the comment above about Musk overpaying on a bluff. He seems to think that the whole thing is a bit of a joke, which in my book, doesn't bode well for the platform's future. But again, we will see what happens.

-Bruce
Sounds like a wise way to use Twitter, Bruce.  And I'm jealous of your leisurely Moroccan lunch!  You'll have to tells us more about it in the food thread.  :)

I've never used Twitter myself for what it's worth.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 03, 2022, 08:17:14 AM
I know the answer will be no. I'm more interested in the reasons.

Twitter is not a much of a money making enterprise, Musk overpaid based on a bluff he got called on. It is some sort of ego trip for him, which is not good if Twitter is indeed a platform people actually depend on for information.

👌.  Though you probably couldn't tell from my earlier reply then,  I AM  considering leaving,  but the shit isn't piled any deeper than usual yet,  so I haven't.  But my answer then would be yes, I am. But no, I haven't.  🙃

🤠🤓
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Todd

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 03, 2022, 06:03:38 AM
NOTE TO ALL INTERESTED PARTIES:

This innocent thread is NOT going to become the new USA Politics thread.

That is all.

Gurn  8)

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 01, 2022, 06:25:46 PMThe MAGA/QAnon bullshit hasn't crept into my little corner of Twitter yet
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

greg

Quote from: Todd on November 03, 2022, 03:33:08 AM
I was not referring to D&D.
Oh, hm.
Well, it might be considered an example of modern pre-internet cancel culture. So maybe the same idea that you were getting at?

Quote from: 71 dB on November 02, 2022, 11:12:01 PM
Modern left believes in 30-hour workweek (better work - free time balance).
Well, I do too, at least ideally. Just wonder what is the minimum before society stops even functioning. Maybe find that number and add 5 hours.
We shouldn't have to be punished our entire lives for not being born into riches, inheriting wealth for doing nothing- which is what overwork is. So any way to reduce it without taking unreasonable sacrifices is ideal.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

71 dB

Quote from: greg on November 03, 2022, 06:37:24 PM
Well, I do too, at least ideally. Just wonder what is the minimum before society stops even functioning. Maybe find that number and add 5 hours.
We shouldn't have to be punished our entire lives for not being born into riches, inheriting wealth for doing nothing- which is what overwork is. So any way to reduce it without taking unreasonable sacrifices is ideal.

I don't think there is a threshold that suddenly makes the society not functioning. The society functions differently. According to studies shorter work days (e.g. 6 hrs compared to 8 hrs) increase productivity so that what gets done during a workday isn't much less. On professions that require a lot of expertise it make more sense to have longer workdays and a composer shouldn't stop composing in the moment of creativity just to "work less".
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 02, 2022, 08:57:25 AM
Please God, Let Elon Musk Kill Twitter

Elon Musk says Twitter has had 'massive' revenue drop as advertisers pause spending

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/04/elon-musk-says-twitter-has-had-massive-revenue-drop.html

Musk blamed the reluctance of advertisers, such as General Mills, to use the platform on "activists" and characterized it as an "attack on the first amendment."

Mr Musk needs a civics lesson, I think, since the first amendment prevents the government from restricting free speech. It doesn't compel individuals or private companies to publish or support your free speech by patronizing your business.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 31, 2022, 04:50:14 AM
Not as yet seriously contemplating an exit. I've dipped my virtual toe in both Tribel and Mastodon and doubt I'll do any more than that.

Mastodon seems to have a tiny user base. How did you pick your server?

Florestan

The only social media I've ever used is GMG --- which is bad enough.  ;D

No, seriously, I have no Facebook, Twitter or Tik-Tok account and honestly as of late I've been distancing myself even from watching TV or reading online news and commentaries. I just focus on my family and my hobbies, none of which are dependent on any social media.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

bhodges

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 04, 2022, 09:02:31 AM
Mr Musk needs a civics lesson, I think, since the first amendment prevents the government from restricting free speech. It doesn't compel individuals or private companies to publish or support your free speech by patronizing your business.

Yes. I would add that he apparently needs lessons in a number of other things, too—at least, based on his seemingly clumsy handling of the whole thing. On Twitter, some attorneys are already advising laid-off employees that the process of axing staff may not have been handled correctly.

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 04, 2022, 09:13:08 AM
Mastodon seems to have a tiny user base. How did you pick your server?

I'd be interested in this, too. Took a brief look at Mastodon, and not quite grasping how it works.

Quote from: Florestan on November 04, 2022, 09:25:55 AM
The only social media I've ever used is GMG --- which is bad enough.  ;D

No, seriously, I have no Facebook, Twitter or Tik-Tok account and honestly as of late I've been distancing myself even from watching TV or reading online news and commentaries. I just focus on my family and my hobbies, none of which are dependent on any social media.

Well, good for you (no sarcasm intended), no need to diverge from that path. While I enjoy some social media—emphasis on "some"—it is not the center of my existence.

-Bruce

Florestan

Quote from: Brewski on November 04, 2022, 09:30:19 AM
Well, good for you (no sarcasm intended),

None taken, Bruce, rest assured.

Quoteno need to diverge from that path. While I enjoy some social media—emphasis on "some"—it is not the center of my existence.

Very seriously, the only social media I need is GMG, even if my wife would say that it's one too much nevertheless.  :D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on November 04, 2022, 09:35:23 AM
None taken, Bruce, rest assured.

Very seriously, the only social media I need is GMG, even if my wife would say that it's one too much nevertheless.  :D
She doesn't like "cat chat" groups?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 04, 2022, 09:36:21 AM

PD

That's what GMG needs: an expansion into "cat chat" territory, e.g., "The Good Cat Guide."  ;D

-Bruce

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 04, 2022, 09:36:21 AM

PD

:D

Truth is, I had been a GMGer long before I met her --- and ever since I met (and one year later married) her she has been heroically putting up with my GMG dependence. As a Romanian saying goes, "A better wife I cannot find, a worse one I do not need."  :D