Software update

Started by Dungeon Master, November 22, 2022, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on November 24, 2022, 07:48:54 PMI loooove the new "Quote Selected Text" option so that you don't have to quote a whole post to reply to one little thing in it.
(I also hope that resolves the past issue where I would post a "New Releases" update with 25 image files, and then some people would quote-reply and replicate all 25 images over again. So much scrolling! But now people can highlight one image and quote that only.)

Where is that option? I don't see it.
"Art is no excuse for boring people." - Jules Renard

Dungeon Master

Quote from: Florestan on November 24, 2022, 11:16:32 PMWhere is that option?
Highlight a part of a post and the "quote selected text" button shows up.

Florestan

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 24, 2022, 11:58:14 PMHighlight a part of a post and the "quote selected text" button shows up.

Many thanks, Rob. This is indeed a most useful new feature.

Florestan

I have just discovered a new feature: you can make an image from the computer appear in the message body, not as a separate attachment under it. All you have to do is click "Insert" after clicking "Upload". Don't forget to delete the uploaded image from the Attachment bar, though, otherwise it will appear twice, both in the message body and under it as a separate attachment.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

This is like Christmas, everyone finding new toys  ;D

Madiel

Am I right in thinking the location field has gone? Is it visible somewhere that I've missed?

Canberra is still listed in my profile but I'm not seeing it on posts like I used to. I can see it on other people's profile pages too but I don't frequently look at those.

Vaguely reminds me I should actually meet Rob... he might even be within walking distance these days...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on November 25, 2022, 05:25:15 AMAm I right in thinking the location field has gone? Is it visible somewhere that I've missed?

Canberra is still listed in my profile but I'm not seeing it on posts like I used to. I can see it on other people's profile pages too but I don't frequently look at those.

Vaguely reminds me I should actually meet Rob... he might even be within walking distance these days...

I see all locations, my own included.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Madiel on November 25, 2022, 05:25:15 AMAm I right in thinking the location field has gone? Is it visible somewhere that I've missed?

I seem to recall you use your phone.  When I use my tablet if I have it in portrait mode it shows little more than your name.  If I turn it in landscape mode it looks just like it does on my computer, including all profile information.

🤠
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Harry

I cannot find my time zone in the list anymore, Amsterdam-Berlin, which one do I have to select when not the one mentioned.
Be kind, be friendly, but above all be human in a positive way.

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on November 25, 2022, 06:36:40 AMI cannot find my time zone in the list anymore, Amsterdam-Berlin, which one do I have to select when not the one mentioned.

What time is it right now in The Netherlands?

absolutelybaching

Frankly, I'm a bit gobsmacked at the rather cavalier 'Yeah, about those subscriptions... it's all a bit hard and I'm thinking of discontinuing them' comment that was made earlier.

I currently appear to be the only Silver Subscriber, because I moaned about it (given I'd just paid the subscription the day before, I bloody well expect the one tangible benefit from parting with my hard-earned to be still present! I'm happy for a refund if the site owner is not up to doing subscriptions any more...)

But I know I am not the only Silver Subscriber, and the lack of energy shown in transferring the details across somewhat annoys. It is a trivial bit of SQL. It should have been done on day 1.

I get it's a labour of love. But either do it right, or don't. You do not let people sign up for a paid-for benefit one day and withdraw it the next, because it's a bit of a faff sorting it out!

All Silver Subscribers transferred to the new software right now, please.
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. (Benjamin Britten)

k a rl h e nn i ng

Quote from: Brian on November 24, 2022, 07:48:54 PMI loooove the new "Quote Selected Text" option so that you don't have to quote a whole post to reply to one little thing in it.
I was going to ask where this is/was, but I figgered it out. Grazie.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Harry

k a rl h e nn i ng

Quote from: Florestan on November 25, 2022, 02:37:28 AMI have just discovered a new feature: you can make an image from the computer appear in the message body, not as a separate attachment under it. All you have to do is click "Insert" after clicking "Upload". Don't forget to delete the uploaded image from the Attachment bar, though, otherwise it will appear twice, both in the message body and under it as a separate attachment.

Interesting and helpful, thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

absolutelybaching

Quote from: Harry on November 25, 2022, 06:36:40 AMI cannot find my time zone in the list anymore, Amsterdam-Berlin, which one do I have to select when not the one mentioned.
Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 25, 2022, 05:40:53 AMI seem to recall you use your phone.  When I use my tablet if I have it in portrait mode it shows little more than your name.  If I turn it in landscape mode it looks just like it does on my computer, including all profile information.

🤠

Well, Amsterdam-Berlin is Central European Time.
So, I guess you pick that. Though I do not pretend to know the difference between Central European Time and Central European Standard Time. I suspect Daylight Savings, but fundamentally have no clue.

Don't look for a particular named time zone, basically: look for a timezone that says what your time offset is.

absolutelybaching

Quote from: Harry on November 25, 2022, 07:47:02 AMWell the time is right now, but only in PM-AM modus. Thank you Howard for the effort!
Found the 24 hours setting too, I am a bit dumb in these settings business.

I think you'll have to poke around inside Profile Details > Forum Profile > Look and Layout. Right at the top of that page is Time Zone/Time Format questions.

One of the format options is for time in 24-hour format (I'm guessing that's what you want, given your comment about "PM-AM modus": if you select the right drop-down from the first box in the Time Format display (mine reads: %B %d, %Y, %H:%M:%S), then you get AM/PM-less times.                                           

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on November 25, 2022, 07:25:23 AM17:25

Then you should set it to UTC + 1, ie Central European Time, as Howard said.

Florestan

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on November 25, 2022, 08:49:35 AMThen you should set it to UTC + 1, ie Central European Time, as Howard said.

Did it Andrei, thank you for thinking about it too!