Software update

Started by Dungeon Master, November 22, 2022, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 29, 2022, 06:58:55 PMCan others check the Search function (the search box at the top right of the page) and report back.

It works well for me.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Papy Oli

The search box in the top right doesn't work for me if "this topic" is selected, I have no results for e.g. "Search" in this topic, "Mozart" in the listening thread. However, If I have "Entire Forum" selected, then I get results ok.

On the other hand, if I go through the "main" Search button in the toolbar (Next to the home button) and make a search for "Search" in GMG News only, I do get results with the relevant posts of this thread.
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

I just tried a couple of searches.  I clicked on "Entire Forum" and searched for Penderecki and that worked fine (brought up his name in various threads throughout the forum.  I then did a search just within the Composer section and that also worked fine.

I'll try a couple more.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

prémont

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 30, 2022, 12:27:02 AMThe search box in the top right doesn't work for me if "this topic" is selected,

Yes, it's the same for me, choosing "this topic" doesn't give any results, but the other options work perfect.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pohjolas Daughter

Same results as premont (as in searching "this topic" does not yield any results).  I tried various topics like the new purchases today one or what are you listening to now.  I also tried Bach and the Christmas music one too.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 29, 2022, 06:58:55 PMWhat words did you try? I tried about a dozen searches within specific threads

I don't recall now but they were all words that I first confirmed were in this thread. I did a This Thread search and it returned nothing.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Florestan

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 29, 2022, 06:58:55 PMWhat words did you try? I tried about a dozen searches within specific threads and boards.

Examples:
"Orfeo" on the opera thread
"Putin" in the Diner section
"Richter" on the Great Recordings and Reviews board
"vinyl" on the entire forum
"arpeggio" on the Composing and Performing board
"Thelonious" on the Jazz board
"Goedicke" on the "What are you listening to now" thread for something a bit more esotieric

In all cases, results returned in less than 1 second and all seemed highly relevant and restricted to the forum/board or thread I specified.

Can others check the Search function (the search box at the top right of the page) and report back.

In this thread, whatever word I used that was in the posts, the Search function returned nothing.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Pohjolas Daughter

Looks like the difference in being able to get search results is between general boards like "The Jazz Lounge" or "Opera and Vocal" and trying to search on specific threads (as in topics) [or am I using the computer lingo incorrectly here?].

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

OK, using the search box at the top right of this page, I did a search using the term "lingo" for

1. This topic - no results
2. This board - quickly yielded correct results
3. Entire Forum - quickly yielded correct results

So, @Dungeon Master - it is only "This topic" searches that is not working. I can also confirm that "This topis" searches are not working in the Diner, nor the Music Room threads.

Thanks again for your hard work. The search works so fast now, so it will be great to have it fully functioning.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dungeon Master

Weird, because its working perfectly for me. See attached screenshot of searching for "search" in This Topic.

I will investigate further.

George

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 30, 2022, 10:26:36 AMWeird, because its working perfectly for me. See attached screenshot of searching for "search" in This Topic.

I will investigate further.

Good luch in your search;)

Spotted Horses

FWIW, I see the same behavior that some others have reported. When I use the top banner to search "This Topic" for term that I plainly see in the topic no results are returned. But if I search "This Board" I get results, including for this topic.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

bhodges

Just did a search for "Martinu," choosing the Composers section, and then for "Brazil" on the entire board, and both worked perfectly. Also, both were significantly faster than searches on the former board. Just FWIW.

-Bruce

George

Quote from: Brewski on November 30, 2022, 01:52:56 PMJust did a search for "Martinu," choosing the Composers section, and then for "Brazil" on the entire board, and both worked perfectly. Also, both were significantly faster than searches on the former board. Just FWIW.

-Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Did you try a search in this topic? That's the one that isn't working for most of us.

bhodges

Ah, I see. I was using the Search box on the left side, next to the Home button. For some reason, it seems to work better!

-Bruce

Dungeon Master

Quote from: absolutelybaching on November 30, 2022, 01:52:21 AMI have two requests for tweaks/enhancements...

1. It would be nice if the Quick Reply panel could be disabled, on a per-user basis.

I did read that it was possible to hide the Quick Reply (see https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Quick_reply)

The option to hide Quick Reply was removed in 2.1. I do not know why. The wiki is out of date. 

George

Regarding emoticons, is there another theme option, Rob? The current one is hard to differentiate between a half dozen of them, on my phone at least.

Dungeon Master

Quote from: George on November 30, 2022, 07:41:54 PMRegarding emoticons, is there another theme option, Rob? The current one is hard to differentiate between a half dozen of them, on my phone at least.
You can now choose from a variety of smilies in your Profile. none of the choices are great, I'm afraid.

vandermolen

What's the difference between 'Quick Reply' and 'Reply' please? (no sarcastic responses  8) )
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).