Software update

Started by Dungeon Master, November 22, 2022, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Rob,

I must admit that like Absol. Bach. that my biggest concern would have to do with security/safety updates (as soon as possible).  We do also realize that you have a life outside of your beautiful creation though.  ;)  Again, thank you (as I had mentioned earlier here).  I'm very grateful that a place like this exists.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 22, 2022, 10:31:20 PMHi all

The GMG forum software has been updated to the latest version 2.1.3. This is a bare-bones install with no modifications of customisations. As such it will look a little generic. The functionality remains the same, and all boards, topics and posts should have been transcribed. Over the next few days, I will customise the forum to improve the look and tailor it better for our members.

Why was the update necessary? The old version was not being maintained with bug fixes and security patches, so it was becoming vulnerable to bots and malware. The old version was never designed to be viewed on small devices, such a phones and tablets. The buttons were too small for fingers, and some functionality was not available. The new version flows smoothly from full desktop size to tiny phone size, while keeping functionality.

New features:
Alert notifications
WYSIWYG editor
Draft messages (write now, revise and send later)
Mentions of @otherusers
Drag and Drop attachments
Improved moderating functions
GDPR compliance (essential for European standards)
Security updates
Backend server compatibility improvements

Please let me know if you notice any issues.

cheers
Rob

Thanks, Rob!

If possible, can the yellow NEW button that now appears before thread name(s) with new posts be moved back to the end of the thread name, where it was before?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Dungeon Master

Quote from: George on November 23, 2022, 04:30:01 PMThanks, Rob!

If possible, can the yellow NEW button that now appears before thread name(s) with new posts be moved back to the end of the thread name, where it was before?

Nope, that's hard-coded.

Dungeon Master

Quote from: absolutelybaching on November 23, 2022, 08:42:56 AMNo problem. It's supposed to have a "GMG:Veteran" badge, and an "S:Subscriber" badge. The one is showing, the other is not.

The old forum showed multiple badges, such as Veteran user as well as Subscriber, if relevant. That was done with a hack that I hard coded, and not a standard part of the software.

The new software does not have the ability to show multiple badges, and I have not got into the guts of the code to modify it. So you only get one badge.

I am considering scrapping the subscriber system altogether. I very much appreciate the financial support, but with PayPal changes it is no longer automated, so I have to manually adjust each subscribers profile when their subscription changes.

George

Brian

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 23, 2022, 05:11:58 PMI am considering scrapping the subscriber system altogether. I very much appreciate the financial support, but with PayPal changes it is no longer automated, so I have to manually adjust each subscribers profile when their subscription changes.
Is it possible to implement some sort of "tip jar" system where people who want to help support the forum can leave one-time donations as desired? If needed, there could be an annual or semiannual reminder campaign to urge people to use the tip jar.

George

Quote from: Brian on November 23, 2022, 05:58:35 PMIs it possible to implement some sort of "tip jar" system where people who want to help support the forum can leave one-time donations as desired? If needed, there could be an annual or semiannual reminder campaign to urge people to use the tip jar.

Great idea!

bhodges

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 23, 2022, 02:37:23 PMRob,

I must admit that like Absol. Bach. that my biggest concern would have to do with security/safety updates (as soon as possible).  We do also realize that you have a life outside of your beautiful creation though.  ;)  Again, thank you (as I had mentioned earlier here).  I'm very grateful that a place like this exists.

Best wishes,

PD

"We do also realize that you have a life outside of your beautiful creation though."

Yes, what PD said!

Quote from: Brian on November 23, 2022, 05:58:35 PMIs it possible to implement some sort of "tip jar" system where people who want to help support the forum can leave one-time donations as desired? If needed, there could be an annual or semiannual reminder campaign to urge people to use the tip jar.

This idea sounds good, and possibly easier to implement than keeping track of subscriptions.

I'm really liking the new interface. More airy and open, and has some very convenient new features that are more in line with what other platforms can do.

-Bruce

JBS

I'd like to thank Rob for all his work. The new look seems fine, but I do have a question...
What is "Updated Topics" supposed to be and why does it show a different listing than "Unread Posts"? I don't remember it from the old software.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Dungeon Master

Quote from: JBS on November 23, 2022, 07:44:07 PMWhat is "Updated Topics" supposed to be and why does it show a different listing than "Unread Posts"?

"Unread Posts" shows all new posts that you have not seen
"Updated Topics" shows all new replies in a topic you have previously posted on.

...I think.

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Dungeon Master

Quote from: Scion7 on November 23, 2022, 08:20:03 PMpassword reset panel?

Click your Profile at the very top left, and choose "Account Settings"

Madiel

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 23, 2022, 08:16:52 PM"Unread Posts" shows all new posts that you have not seen
"Updated Topics" shows all new replies in a topic you have previously posted on.

...I think.

Yup.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Scion7

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 23, 2022, 08:23:45 PMClick your Profile at the very top left, and choose "Account Settings"
Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I meant "forgotten password reset" (sends one an email, etc.)
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

How do you add a picture in the new space age GMG forum please?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dungeon Master

If the picture is hosted online and you know the URL, click the picture icon and fill in the details.

If you want to add a picture on your computer or device as an attachment, click "Attachments and other options" and drag the picture to the window. Attachments is not available on all boards.

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 24, 2022, 12:56:44 AMHow do you add a picture in the new space age GMG forum please?

In the icons bar above the message body there is an icon (to the right of the Youtuobe one) which looks like a picture. Place the cursor on it and it reads "Insert an image". Click on it and a pop up appears where you can specifiy, if you wish, the dimensions of the picture. When you're done, click "Insert".
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

George

Quote from: vandermolen on November 24, 2022, 12:56:44 AMHow do you add a picture in the new space age GMG forum please?

I had trouble finding it too. Use the icon just to the right of the YouTube icon.

vandermolen

Quote from: George on November 24, 2022, 01:07:03 AMI had trouble finding it too. Use the icon just to the right of the YouTube icon.
Many thanks  :)

+ for the other helpful suggestions.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Sorry - but still can't do it (post picture)
The pictures that I like posting (CD covers usually) are invariably saved under'photos'on my laptop. In the old system, unless the image was too big, it was relatively easy to post them. In the new system I can find the picture image (which looks like a TV screen) next to You Tube, but I'm not sure what to do next.