Software update

Started by Dungeon Master, November 22, 2022, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dungeon Master on December 09, 2022, 06:38:18 PMWith the new software and layout, the old logo didn't fit. So I designed a new one, that you see here.

I made a separate thread where I fully admitted I was no graphic designer and if members had better design skills than me, please submit your best logo.

I got a grand total of zero submissions.

So after 2 weeks I removed the request thread and decided that either:
1. People were very happy with the new logo
Or
2. Members hated the new logo but had even worse design skills than me

If you can design a better logo than me, please feel free.  PNG format, 72 pixels high.

Sweet that you used a Gramophone/old horn record player.  Thank you.  It's lovely.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Search "this topic" still not working.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Spotted Horses

I noticed something peculiar. It used to be that if you looked a another member's profile there was a field "last active." It seems to have indicate that most recent time that the member was interacting with the site. Now some members profiles show "last active" and some don't. Is there a new feature that a member can disable that field for their profile? It is sometimes interesting to look at, because you can see if a missing member is still visiting, but not posting.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Scion7

Quote from: Dungeon Master on December 09, 2022, 06:38:18 PMIf you can design a better logo than me, please feel free.  PNG format, 72 pixels high.

I just liked the old one - it was brighter in the bookmarks list.  ;D
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Spotted Horses

Quote from: absolutelybaching on December 10, 2022, 04:48:21 AMI am pretty certain that it's under 'Account Settings', 'Show others my online status'. If that's checked, you get a 'last active' displayed, and if it's unchecked, you don't.

Source: I was just able to turn my last active date on and off by checking and unchecking that option.

I see. I think the effect of that setting on the "last active" field is new, because now long-gone members who could not have changed that setting have had their "last active" field removed.

It's a setback for busybodies, since we can no longer opine that such-and-such a member has been gone since 2013, etc.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Madiel

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 10, 2022, 05:41:42 AMI see. I think the effect of that setting on the "last active" field is new, because now long-gone members who could not have changed that setting have had their "last active" field removed.

It's a setback for busybodies, since we can no longer opine that such-and-such a member has been gone since 2013, etc.

It's also possible that the field is empty for anyone who has not been active since the new software started.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Rob,

Why is there now an option to "Show IP address" now under my avatar which comes up when I login?  And is that only visible to me?  Or, if I accidentally click on it, is it visible to others..including bots?

And do others here see this under their avatars after they've logged in?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Well a short answer, no one can see your IP address, only visible to you
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Harry on December 15, 2022, 08:01:37 AMWell a short answer, no one can see your IP address, only visible to you

I just haven't seen this before as part of the formatting here.  Are you sure?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 15, 2022, 08:03:28 AMI just haven't seen this before as part of the formatting here.  Are you sure?

PD
Yes, it was present on the old software as well. If you look at a post by someone else (like this one), you will see a note that says "Logged." Clicking on "Logged" gives this message:

Your IP address is shown only to you and moderators. Remember that this information is not identifying, and that most IPs change periodically.

You cannot see other members' IP addresses, and they cannot see yours.

Harry

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 15, 2022, 08:03:28 AMI just haven't seen this before as part of the formatting here.  Are you sure?

PD
[/quote

Yes dear
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on December 15, 2022, 08:16:22 AMYes, it was present on the old software as well. If you look at a post by someone else (like this one), you will see a note that says "Logged." Clicking on "Logged" gives this message:

Your IP address is shown only to you and moderators. Remember that this information is not identifying, and that most IPs change periodically.

You cannot see other members' IP addresses, and they cannot see yours.
Quote from: Harry on December 15, 2022, 08:30:01 AM

PD
[/quote

Yes dear
Under my avatar it says [underneath Location], it says "Show IP address" vs. "Logged".  I didn't ever recall seeing that before now.  And I also was wondering what "Logged" meant; I assumed that it had meant something like they were a current member.

In any event, thanks!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dungeon Master

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 15, 2022, 07:59:02 AMRob,

Why is there now an option to "Show IP address" now under my avatar which comes up when I login?  And is that only visible to me?  Or, if I accidentally click on it, is it visible to others..including bots?

And do others here see this under their avatars after they've logged in?
Its only visible to you (and admin). Regular members, bots and guests can't see it.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dungeon Master on December 15, 2022, 05:18:18 PMIts only visible to you (and admin). Regular members, bots and guests can't see it.
Thank you for replying!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Que

I think I stumbled upon a glitch in the "advanced search" option.

Quite often I look for my own old posts, for various reasons but mainly to save me the trouble of looking on the net for a picture of a recording I am listening to.

In advanced search there are two options I often use:
- Show results as messages
- Search in topic subjects only

Now, when I click "Show results as messages" I have discovered that the search is conducted "in topic subjects only".

Odd.... ::)

JBS

I just realized the ASIN tag for direct links to Amazon is no longer available.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Quote from: Que on December 18, 2022, 11:20:05 PMI think I stumbled upon a glitch in the "advanced search" option.

Quite often I look for my own old posts, for various reasons but mainly to save me the trouble of looking on the net for a picture of a recording I am listening to.

In advanced search there are two options I often use:
- Show results as messages
- Search in topic subjects only

Now, when I click "Show results as messages" I have discovered that the search is conducted "in topic subjects only".

Odd.... ::)

This may be connected with some other "show results as messages" search issues I have previously posted about:

Quote from: Brian on December 07, 2022, 05:29:50 PMAnother wrinkle in search is "Search for posts by user." Unfortunately I have not figured out what the issue is yet.

Here is a little example breakdown.
I had a conversation with Todd recently about the pianist Kempff.

Searching for Kempff and selecting user Todd and checking the "show results as messages" box returns 9 pages of results.
Searching for Kempff and selecting user Brian and allowing search to show results as threads returns 20 results.
Searching for Kempff and selecting user Brian and checking the "show results as messages" box returns 0 (zero) results.

I don't understand why results-as-messages works for one user but not another...or why results-as-threads works more consistently.

Another problem I saw last week is that sometimes when you "show results as messages," it will say there are 25 results, or however many #, but then it actually only shows you one (1) result.

I often search my own old posts because I forget whether I liked a certain post or recording, and if I wrote about it in the listening thread 5 years ago, I can see my own previous notes.  ;D

Que

Quote from: Brian on December 19, 2022, 11:31:51 AMThis may be connected with some other "show results as messages" search issues I have previously posted about:

Another problem I saw last week is that sometimes when you "show results as messages," it will say there are 25 results, or however many #, but then it actually only shows you one (1) result.

I often search my own old posts because I forget whether I liked a certain post or recording, and if I wrote about it in the listening thread 5 years ago, I can see my own previous notes.  ;D

Definitely the same problem! :o

Karl Henning

This topic is a poll, but I do not see the poll (I only read the posts to the topic.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot