Software update

Started by Dungeon Master, November 22, 2022, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Man, it is SO much nicer browsing GMG on my phone now. HUGE improvement!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 24, 2022, 01:20:43 AMSorry - but still can't do it (post picture)
The pictures that I like posting (CD covers usually) are invariably saved under'photos'on my laptop. In the old system, unless the image was too big, it was relatively easy to post them. In the new system I can find the picture image (which looks like a TV screen) next to You Tube, but I'm not sure what to do next.

If you want to insert an image from your computer you should use the "Attachments and other options" under the message body. The icon is only for inserting images from URLs.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Papy Oli

Quote from: Florestan on November 24, 2022, 01:22:37 AMIf you want to insert an image from your computer you should use the "Attachments and other options" under the message body.

This is only showing if you go via "User Actions" > "Reply".

It does not show via "Quick Reply" or "Quote" of a post.
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on November 24, 2022, 01:22:37 AMIf you want to insert an image from your computer you should use the "Attachments and other options" under the message body. The icon is only for inserting images from URLs.
Thank you Andrei! I'll have another go.

PS

Success! Thanks everyone.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

George

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 24, 2022, 01:26:55 AMThis is only showing if you go via "User Actions" > "Reply".

Good point!

Papy Oli

Quote from: George on November 24, 2022, 01:22:03 AMMan, it is SO much nicer browsing GMG on my phone now. HUGE improvement!

Very much so!  8)
Olivier

George

If we want to subscribe to a thread now without posting in it (and without email notification), how do we do that?

Papy Oli

Quote from: George on November 24, 2022, 01:30:10 AMIf we want to subscribe to a thread now without posting in it (and without email notification), how do we do that?

Click the golden Alert bell in the top left corner then settings in the pop up window. Lots of alerts options there. You might find what you need there. :)
Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Papy Oli on November 24, 2022, 01:26:55 AMThis is only showing if you go via "User Actions" > "Reply".

Yes, I noticed that. I don't care for Quick Reply but not being able to insert images from computer via "Quote" is quite annoying, honestly.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: absolutelybaching on November 24, 2022, 03:43:42 AMAgreed. I also don't particularly care for having to upload an image before posting a comment (it's an extra, separate step now, where before pointing to an image file was sufficient, without needing to explicitly 'upload' it. It would be nice if uploads could be automated.

If you mean inserting images by URL, you don't have to upload it first. Just copy-paste the URL in the pop up window which appears by clicking the "Insert an Image" icon and then click "Insert".

Scion7

It may be an image he made/scanned, however - for those, you must post them on some host site and get a URL for adding here now.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Florestan

Quote from: Scion7 on November 24, 2022, 03:53:02 AMIt may be an image he made/scanned, however - for those, you must post them on some host site and get a URL for adding here now.

Alternatively, you can quote the post to which you wish to add an image from computer, copy the whole thing and paste it into a "Reply" message body, where you have the Attachment option. Bit of a headache either way. This absence of Attachment from the Quote is the biggest bug of the new version so far.

Florestan

Quote from: absolutelybaching on November 24, 2022, 04:16:26 AMNo, I was responding to your comment about "being able to insert images from computer".

All the imagery I use I upload from my PC, never linking to a third-party site. The old forum version let you point to a JPG on your disk, then you clicked 'Post', job done. Now, you point to a JPG, and have to click 'Upload', then post.

I see what you mean: after specifying the jpg you have to click twice instead of once.

Harry

Quote from: absolutelybaching on November 24, 2022, 04:16:26 AMNo, I was responding to your comment about "being able to insert images from computer".

All the imagery I use I upload from my PC, never linking to a third-party site. The old forum version let you point to a JPG on your disk, then you clicked 'Post', job done. Now, you point to a JPG, and have to click 'Upload', then post.

Correct.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

The forum looks and feels good, so thanks from me for that.

There is one thing I'd like, though I appreciate the system may not allow it. I'd like to see a notification when someone has quoted one of my posts.

Just something for everyone to note, because it wasn't obvious for me. There is a difference between "quick edit" and "modify" -- modify is in the "more" menu. Basically modify includes formatting tools.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on November 24, 2022, 10:55:01 AMThe forum looks and feels good, so thanks from me for that.

+ 1

Quote from: Mandrykahere is one thing I'd like, though I appreciate the system may not allow it. I'd like to see a notification when someone has quoted one of my posts.

This would be a nice feature.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on November 24, 2022, 10:55:01 AMI'd like to see a notification when someone has quoted one of my posts.

But hey, this is exactly what this new version does: even if I am on a different tab than GMG a notification appears in the bottom right corner of the screen (I use Firefox).

JBS

I think we can do that now.
Click on the arrow next to your avatar, then click on Notifications, and choose from the variety of options offered there.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

George

Quote from: Mandryka on November 24, 2022, 10:55:01 AMThe forum looks and feels good, so thanks from me for that.

There is one thing I'd like, though I appreciate the system may not allow it. I'd like to see a notification when someone has quoted one of my posts.

Just something for everyone to note, because it wasn't obvious for me. There is a difference between "quick edit" and "modify" -- modify is in the "more" menu. Basically modify includes formatting tools.

You can get notification if somebody quotes your post. if you go to the top left and click near your avatar and then click on notifications you'll find the ability to enable this in there.

George

Quote from: JBS on November 24, 2022, 11:04:59 AMI think we can do that now.
Click on the arrow next to your avatar, then click on Notifications, and choose from the variety of options offered there.

Haha! I was typing the same.