Software update

Started by Dungeon Master, November 22, 2022, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Madiel

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 25, 2022, 06:42:01 PM"Likes" and "@mentions" should be working for all now. Let me know yay or nay.

Definitely working on the Likes front. Smooth and easy toggling.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

#141
Learning multiple new features at once with this phone screenshot upload of Madiel's post. (I wasn't able to tag him though.)


Edit: Well that was hard. I need to reread the earlier post explaining how to upload an image and insert it without having it display twice.

Que

Rob, congratulations on a successful update and many, many thanks for all your efforts to keep this forum afloat - for us!  :)

I noticed you have already changed some settings to get things closer to the old look, which was plain and easy on the eye.
Looks good!!

But... I was wondering about the possibility of changing the rather odd text font in the reply/post feature? And the "buttons" in that feature are quite tiny (as are the emoticons, which also look a bit odd - I liked the old(fashioned) look better).

Wanderer

Quote from: Que on November 25, 2022, 11:36:58 PMRob, congratulations on a successful update and many, many thanks for all your efforts to keep this forum afloat - for us!  :)
Indeed! Thank you, Rob, for all the work and trouble!  8)

Dungeon Master

Quote from: Que on November 25, 2022, 11:36:58 PMBut... I was wondering about the possibility of changing the rather odd text font in the reply/post feature? And the "buttons" in that feature are quite tiny (as are the emoticons, which also look a bit odd - I liked the old(fashioned) look better).

There is nothing in the admin settings to change either of those, sorry.

I'm going to keep it like my e this for a month or two, let people get accustomed to the look, and if people still complain, I can delve into the coding.

Que

#145
I just noticed that we've lost all the pictures that were linked to Amazon through their ASIN code...
After Amazon started messing with their pictures, most of stopped using this feature but it used to be very popular and there were many of these linked pictures in the older posts.

Que

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 26, 2022, 12:03:17 AMThere is nothing in the admin settings to change either of those, sorry.

I'm going to keep it like my e this for a month or two, let people get accustomed to the look, and if people still complain, I can delve into the coding.

Thanks for looking into it, Rob!  :)

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

#148
Can we embed media other then YouTube? Vimeo, Spotify, Soundcloud etc.

Can we have a private conversation with a group of invitees?  Rather than a private message.

Can unfinished edits be auto-saved?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

#149
Quote from: Mandryka on November 26, 2022, 12:15:49 AMCan we embed media other then YouTube? Vimeo, Spotify, Soundcloud etc.

Can we have a private conversation with a group of invitees?  Rather than a private message.

Can unfinished edits be auto-saved?

You can send a private message to multiple people if I recall correctly. But if you want a chat window... this is a message board. Message boards aren't designed for that. Even Meta separates Facebook and Messenger.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Dungeon Master

Quote from: Que on November 26, 2022, 12:06:49 AMI just noticed that we've lost all the pictures that were linked to Amazon through their ASIN code...
After Amazon started messing with their pictures, most of stopped using this feature but it used to be very popular and there were many of these linked pictures in the older posts.

The Amazon images button was my own programming hack of the old forum software. This new version is a clean install, and therefore does not include that previous hack.

I do plan to restore that function, but it will take a bit of time to work out where to code it in the new software.

Dungeon Master

Quote from: Mandryka on November 26, 2022, 12:15:49 AMCan we embed media other then YouTube? Vimeo, Spotify, Soundcloud etc.

Can we have a private conversation with a group of invitees?  Rather than a private message.

Can unfinished edits be auto-saved?

Woah there cowboy! So many requests after a whole new install.

The answer to all your questions is no. At least not natively.

If Spotify or Soundcloud are deemed to be vital by the community, I will look at finding a mod to install, or code my own. But not straight away.

Que

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 26, 2022, 01:15:22 AMThe Amazon images button was my own programming hack of the old forum software. This new version is a clean install, and therefore does not include that previous hack.

I do plan to restore that function, but it will take a bit of time to work out where to code it in the new software.

And I already reconciled myself with the fact that they were gone - thanks!

Mandryka

#153
I am very much opposed to the anonymous like button. People will post in order to be liked, not in order to express their considered opinions.

Someone above (I think @Pohjolas Daughter ) said they were pleased that places like this still exist on the public internet. So am I. However, I think the like button is a step in the wrong direction.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Why do the images I post appear twice?  :o  :o
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on November 26, 2022, 02:19:13 AMPeople will post in order to be liked, not in order to express their considered opinions.

You have a rather low opinion of your fellow GMGers...  ;D
When I'm creating at the piano, I tend to feel happy; but - the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others? I'd do everything I could to give everyone a moment of happiness. That's what's at the heart of my music. — Nino Rota

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 26, 2022, 02:20:38 AMWhy do the images I post appear twice?  :o  :o

Because you don't delete the uploaded image in the Attachment bar after clicking Insert. If that's too much a trouble for you, then skip the Insert step altogether.
When I'm creating at the piano, I tend to feel happy; but - the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others? I'd do everything I could to give everyone a moment of happiness. That's what's at the heart of my music. — Nino Rota

Florestan

Quote from: absolutelybaching on November 26, 2022, 02:17:21 AMCongratualations on being quite unnecessarily snarky

Yeah, you're right. I removed my post. You can ensure no trace of it will be left by removing your reply too.
When I'm creating at the piano, I tend to feel happy; but - the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others? I'd do everything I could to give everyone a moment of happiness. That's what's at the heart of my music. — Nino Rota

Dungeon Master

Quote from: Mandryka on November 26, 2022, 02:19:13 AMI am very much opposed to the anonymous like button.

I don't think its anonymous. Can you not click on the "4 People Liked this post" and see who they were? I can, but I am admin. Can regular members see who liked?

Madiel

#159
Quote from: absolutelybaching on November 26, 2022, 02:20:44 AM+1

Minus 1. The function of the Like button is to get rid of the need for posts that say nothing beyond indicating agreement.

EDIT: I actually find it kind of amusing that you just implemented a Like by another method in order to indicate your dislike of Likes. It's exactly the same behaviour. Only your method takes longer and takes up more room.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!