Software update

Started by Dungeon Master, November 22, 2022, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on November 26, 2022, 02:19:13 AMI am very much opposed to the anonymous like button. People will post in order to be liked, not in order to express their considered opinions. 

I think most people will post to express their opinion, no matter if it's liked or not.

And the "like" is not anonymous. We can all click on the number of likes in our post and see the names of the "likers".
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 26, 2022, 03:22:26 AMI don't think its anonymous. Can you not click on the "4 People Liked this post" and see who they were? I can, but I am admin. Can regular members see who liked?

Yes.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 26, 2022, 03:22:26 AMI don't think its anonymous. Can you not click on the "4 People Liked this post" and see who they were? I can, but I am admin. Can regular members see who liked?

Yes, you can, you're right.

How about a list of most liked members?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

Quote from: Mandryka on November 26, 2022, 03:33:42 AMHow about a list of most liked members?

Sounds terrible. I don't want everyone to realise that I'm much more popular than I initially appear.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on November 26, 2022, 03:33:42 AMHow about a list of most liked members?

A horrible and unlikeable idea - what would it look like? I agree completely with Madiel.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Spotted Horses

Quote from: absolutelybaching on November 26, 2022, 04:22:49 AMI didn't indicate a dislike of likes. I indicated a dislike of anonymous likes. You know, like the ones mentioned in the post I was replying to? My "+1", however, is entirely attributable to me, is therefore not anonymous and therefore in no way contradicts the point that Mandryka was making and I was agreeing with.

Likes are not anonymous. Just below the text of the post there is a thumbs-up icon and if you click it or the word "Like" you will see that it will say "You like this" underneath. If someone else likes it, it will say "1 person likes this" and if you click "1 person" (or however many persons like it) you will see a list of who liked it.

I liked your post, so you should be able to confirm that.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Hitch

Hello, new-ish member here.

I joined many moons ago, but only logged in a few times before the software kicked me out. I was encouraged by the advent of the software update to try again. This time I joined without issue only to find that I could not log in today - the error message claimed that there was no such username or email address, despite there being an acknowledgement in my email inbox. I have just joined again using exactly the same email address and username, so I thought it best to wave hello before the software ostracises me once more.

Karl Henning

Aye.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: absolutelybaching on November 26, 2022, 02:26:56 AMWhen I look at your last posting in the What Are You Listening To thread, I see this code (I'm replacing square brackets with round ones, for formatting reasons):
     (quote author=vandermolen link=msg=1482895 date=1669461482
     Nino Rota: Symphony No.1

(attach id=93795_Rota 1.jpg(/attach)
     (/quote)

When I check the code on my recent posts there, I see:

(quote author=absolutelybaching link=msg=1482749 date=1669396858)
     Franz Schmidt's
     [i]Symphony No. 1 [/i]

Neeme Järvi, Detroit Symphony Orchestra

(/quote)

You have 'attach' tags where I do not. So, how are you uploading your images?

The way I do it, click 'Reply', type your message, then click 'Attachments and other options' to reveal the hidden items. Click [Add Files] and point to your JPG. Then click [Upload]. Then click [Post].

At no point do you click any of the post formatting options above the message typing area (if that's what you're doing) -i.e., not the 'Insert an image' or anything else in that group of buttons.

It is interesting, though, that when I just tested this, I noticed attach tags being written around the JPG image file name I just uploaded, though in the test I just did, I didn't see these tags coming through to the final post. Not sure what's going on there, or whether Rob is tweaking the image upload process behind the scenes right now. Anyway: I think it's those attach tags that mean your image appears both embedded within the post and bolted onto the end of it. If you manually remove them by editing  your post and just deleting [ Attach ] and [ / Attach ] tags, it's likely one of those images will disappear.

Edited to add: I now understand what you're doing. Florestan's comment about clicking [Insert] was the clue.

Don't click the Insert button at all!!

As I mentioned, you can upload an image and then click [Post], no [Insert] necessary. If you *do* click [Insert], then not only have you attached an image to your post (which would appear underneath your post, after the horizontal line ending it) but you are also asking to in-line insert said image using the attach tags I mentioned before.

I think the [Insert] button is there to get in-line images, rather than images tagged onto the end of the post after all the text has ended.

If you prefer to have inline images, then of course use the [Insert] button, but then you have to do what Florestan mentioned: you have to delete the upload, too, otherwise you'll get a duplicate.

Thanks.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on November 26, 2022, 03:22:42 AMMinus 1. The function of the Like button is to get rid of the need for posts that say nothing beyond indicating agreement.

EDIT: I actually find it kind of amusing that you just implemented a Like by another method in order to indicate your dislike of Likes. It's exactly the same behaviour. Only your method takes longer and takes up more room.
It amused me that three people like this post.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

I am amused that everyone had a debate about whether you can see who liked what, right after I posted a screenshot showing that you can. Everyone must have me on ignore  ;D

(Count me among those who think the "like" button will cut down on clutter posts without changing the behavior of our mostly mature, independent, not-in-need-of-being-liked populace.)

Brian

Quote from: Hitch on November 26, 2022, 05:38:46 AMHello, new-ish member here.

I joined many moons ago, but only logged in a few times before the software kicked me out. I was encouraged by the advent of the software update to try again. This time I joined without issue only to find that I could not log in today - the error message claimed that there was no such username or email address, despite there being an acknowledgement in my email inbox. I have just joined again using exactly the same email address and username, so I thought it best to wave hello before the software ostracises me once more.
Hope the bug is fixed and you can stay around a while!

Karl Henning

Quote from: absolutelybaching on November 26, 2022, 05:01:38 AMI wish I could find the post like button! Could you tell me where it is located, please?
Somehow, my eye is missing it, too. Tangentially, It makes me smile, reading the suggestion that a Like function is the Angel breaking open the Sixth Seal.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on November 26, 2022, 06:00:21 AMI am amused that everyone had a debate about whether you can see who liked what, right after I posted a screenshot showing that you can. Everyone must have me on ignore  ;D

(Count me among those who think the "like" button will cut down on clutter posts without changing the behavior of our mostly mature, independent, not-in-need-of-being-liked populace.)

It seems that the like button has disappeared from all of my posts, so my posts cannot be "liked." This is a change, because I have some posts that say "1 person has liked this post" even though there is no like button, and I seem to remember seeing the like button my posts in the past. I was wondering if there is some setting which allows you to disable the like button, but didn't find anything of that nature in my forum profile or settings.

No I am destined to be unliked?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Hitch on November 26, 2022, 05:38:46 AMHello, new-ish member here.

I look forward to this being sorted out, and welcome you in anticipation.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 26, 2022, 06:05:35 AMIt seems that the like button has disappeared from all of my posts, so my posts cannot be "liked." This is a change, because I have some posts that say "1 person has liked this post" even though there is no like button, and I seem to remember seeing the like button my posts in the past. I was wondering if there is some setting which allows you to disable the like button, but didn't find anything of that nature in my forum profile or settings.

No I am destined to be unliked?

I see your "like" button and just liked your post. Do you see it?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on November 26, 2022, 06:08:38 AMI see your "like" button and just liked your post. Do you see it?

I don't appear to have a like button anywhere for anything.  I think either Rob must be working on it,  or perhaps as a  Mod I'm not allowed to like anything,  or there's always the possibility I'm both blind and stupid,  which I have often been accused of... :-\

🤠
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 26, 2022, 06:05:20 AMSomehow, my eye is missing it, too. Tangentially, It makes me smile, reading the suggestion that a Like function is the Angel breaking open the Sixth Seal.

It's a little thumbs up icon at the bottom left corner of each post.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Florestan

Quote from: absolutelybaching on November 26, 2022, 06:14:11 AMAny chance of a screenshot, so we can see precisely where the like button ought to be, rather than hearing it's just supposed to be 'under the post' in general?

Here you are.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

premont

We can't "like" our own posts, this is probably why we don't have access to a like button for our own posts.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν