Software update

Started by Dungeon Master, November 22, 2022, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2022, 01:26:11 AMWhat's the difference between 'Quick Reply' and 'Reply' please? (no sarcastic responses  8) )

By the looks of it, Only 'Reply' has the "Attachments and Other options" button, which you mostly use, whereas 'Quick Reply' has not.
Olivier

George

Quote from: Dungeon Master on November 30, 2022, 08:46:07 PMYou can now choose from a variety of smilies in your Profile. none of the choices are great, I'm afraid.

Thanks, Rob!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 01, 2022, 01:45:48 AMBy the looks of it, Only 'Reply' has the "Attachments and Other options" button, which you mostly use, whereas 'Quick Reply' has not.
That indeed appears to be the difference. "Reply" has that dropdown menu below it, and "Quick Reply" doesn't.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 01, 2022, 01:45:48 AMBy the looks of it, Only 'Reply' has the "Attachments and Other options" button, which you mostly use, whereas 'Quick Reply' has not.
Ah right! Thanks Olivier  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Madiel on December 01, 2022, 02:15:54 AMThat indeed appears to be the difference. "Reply" has that dropdown menu below it, and "Quick Reply" doesn't.
Thanks  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brewski on November 30, 2022, 05:18:48 PMAh, I see. I was using the Search box on the left side, next to the Home button. For some reason, it seems to work better!

-Bruce

The search box next to the home button doesn't have an option to search a specific topic, just a specific board, so the feature that is not working (search of "This Topic") isn't available there. It does have the nice feature of searching in a group of boards (rather than "This Board").
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

JBS

Quote from: George on November 30, 2022, 02:12:03 PMHi Bruce,

Did you try a search in this topic? That's the one that isn't working for most of us.

Where is the 'search in this topic' button?
I can only find the general Search function on the main menu.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on December 01, 2022, 03:58:04 AMWhere is the 'search in this topic' button?
I can only find the general Search function on the main menu.
If you're in the topic (like now), go to the very top of the page.  It's on the far right.  There's the oval circle where you type in what you want to search for, and then to the right of it, it says "Search this topic" [also allowing you to change it to other options using up and down arrows and a menu].  To the right of the options is the search button which you then click on--after telling the search engine what and where to search for.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 01, 2022, 04:04:28 AMIf you're in the topic (like now), go to the very top of the page.  It's on the far right.  There's the oval circle where you type in what you want to search for, and then to the right of it, it says "Search this topic" [also allowing you to change it to other options using up and down arrows and a menu].  To the right of the options is the search button which you then click on--after telling the search engine what and where to search for.

PD

It is easy to miss because, at least in my case, when I first come to the site the page is aligned so that the narrow bar at the top is scrolled off browser window, and I have to scroll up to see it
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 01, 2022, 04:20:37 AMIt is easy to miss because, at least in my case, when I first come to the site the page is aligned so that the narrow bar at the top is scrolled off browser window, and I have to scroll up to see it
Ah!  Interesting.  I don't have that issue in Safari.  So, when you go to log in, then you have to scroll up?

PD

p.s.  Meanwhile back at the ranch, I'm trying to remember/figure out how to do other things.  I need to make a cheat sheet with instructions as to how to do things!  :-[
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Alyhough if you use 'Quick R." and hit 'Preview' after composing the message, you then have the option of attachments.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 01, 2022, 04:49:35 AMAh!  Interesting.  I don't have that issue in Safari.  So, when you go to log in, then you have to scroll up?

Actually, now that I look more carefully, it is inconsistent. Sometimes it opens with the top bar visible, other times not. Seems to "remember" that I scrolled up to it on a previous visit. I'm also using Safari (current version).

JBS

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 01, 2022, 04:04:28 AMIf you're in the topic (like now), go to the very top of the page.  It's on the far right.  There's the oval circle where you type in what you want to search for, and then to the right of it, it says "Search this topic" [also allowing you to change it to other options using up and down arrows and a menu].  To the right of the options is the search button which you then click on--after telling the search engine what and where to search for.

PD

Thank you...but it's not showing on my screen.
???!
I'm using Chrome for Android.
Maybe this is a browser-specific problem?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Papy Oli

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 01, 2022, 05:47:32 AMAlyhough if you use 'Quick R." and hit 'Preview' after composing the message, you then have the option of attachments.

So it does, thanks Karl!
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: JBS on December 01, 2022, 06:15:34 AMThank you...but it's not showing on my screen.
???!

Jeffrey

It doesn't show on my Android phone's chrome either (only the 'usual' search link via 'main menu'.

What PD advises however is visible on my laptop (Opera browser).
Olivier

Spotted Horses

Quote from: JBS on December 01, 2022, 06:15:34 AMThank you...but it's not showing on my screen.
???!

On iPhone/Safari it only shows up if the phone is held in landscape mode. It disappears in portrait mode (to declutter the screen, I presume).

In any case, the mobile version is preferable in the updated software because, as I recall, in the old version the mobile version didn't highlight boards that had new posts when viewing the main page.

Madiel

???!

You won't get it on a phone. One of the various things that takes up too much real estate.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

I swear, even scrolling past ignored posts seems more efficient now.  >:D

Papy Oli

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 01, 2022, 06:26:12 AMOn iPhone/Safari it only shows up if the phone is held in landscape mode.

So it does ! Thank you for the correction.
Olivier

Gurn Blanston

I have yet to happen upon a checkbox that allows me to turn off that annoying box that comes up and verifies every move I make. "Are you sure you want to do that?". Hell yes, that's why I clicked that button!!  >:(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)