Software update

Started by Dungeon Master, November 22, 2022, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dungeon Master

There is nothing I can do about the extra "Are you sure" popup. Its pretty standard on apps, such as email, where you want to be careful about what you delete.

George

Quote from: Dungeon Master on December 01, 2022, 04:10:00 PMThere is nothing I can do about the extra "Are you sure" popup.

Are you sure?  ;)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

What am I not getting about the @George function (it's just plain text)
And how does one save the draught of a post?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Thank you for the various responses to my question.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 01, 2022, 06:30:14 PMWhat am I not getting about the @George function (it's just plain text)
And how does one save the draught of a post?

When you start typing a name a pop-up should appear. George works fine. Your own name is awkward because of the spaces, but @ followed by k followed by space offers me @k a rl h e nn i ng

It has been marked as a member name but it hasn't appeared as bold. Did it actually count as a mention? I think so because it seems to be a hyperlink to your profile.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Dungeon Master

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 01, 2022, 06:30:14 PMWhat am I not getting about the @George function (it's just plain text)
The plain text won't work. When you type "@" and then start a member's name, the forum should give you a popup showing members that match the letters you type. Click on one of those member names and the forum will create a hyperlink mention that alerts the other user.

Dungeon Master

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 01, 2022, 06:30:14 PMAnd how does one save the draught of a post?
Simply click the "Save Draft" button. That I only just enabled.  :D

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Quote from: absolutelybaching on December 02, 2022, 02:21:03 AMI'm sure it does. But that doesn't mean it works for me!

It made a link to your profile, did it "alert" you in some way?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: absolutelybaching on December 02, 2022, 02:15:26 AM@DunI get no pop-up when I type 'vande' or even 'Dungeon'.
What am I doing wrong?!
Are you trying this on a cell phone or on a computer (that might be part of the reason why it's not working)?

I trust tried a couple of names (including yours here) @absolutelybaching and Rob's and Jeffrey's (vandermolen) and they all worked.  Good luck figuring it out!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

I was using safari, but FWIW, I tried it with Firefox 107.0 (MacOS) and it worked there as well. So apparently not a Firefox issue.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: absolutelybaching on December 02, 2022, 02:30:50 AMYes. It works in as much as I see a hyperlink and I was alerted. But I wasn't questioning the functionality for the person being referenced.  Rather, it is the fact that I cannot reference a username by use of the at symbol.

If I start typing @Spotted for example... nothing happens. No pop-ups. No hyperlinking. Nothing. I have tried doing so in Quick Reply and Reply. Same results in both cases. You will note that the "@Spotted" above is not a hyperlink and nothing was ever displayed to me to help it turn into one.

For reference, it's a PC running Firefox 107.0, no extensions.

And now I'm editing this in Chromium 107 and trying again: @Spotted ....nope. Same result. No pop-up, no hyperlinking, no prompt of any kind.
Could it possibly have something to do with any of your security and/or privacy settings either on your PC itself or on Firefox or Chrome?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 02, 2022, 02:37:15 AMI was using safari, but FWIW, I tried it with Firefox 107.0 (MacOS) and it worked there as well. So apparently not a Firefox issue.

@Spotted Horses - works on Chrome on my Android too.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: absolutelybaching on December 02, 2022, 02:49:42 AM@spotted horses

Nope. Not working for me in Firefox on Android, either. (Where I'm now typing this reply)

I am assuming that if I type @ followed by "spot", something's supposed to happen by way of a pop-up selector? And that I don't have to be case-sensitive about it?

Is this another feature subscribers can't use?!
One thing that I just noticed is that you can't type the @+name immediately after either an end quote (as in [/quote] ) or immediately next to another word (as in@abso).  There needs to be a space.  And yes, a dropdown menu appears with several choices when you start typing in the member's name.

PD

EDIT:  p.s. And, no, it doesn't appear to be case-sensitive.
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dungeon Master on December 02, 2022, 01:00:11 AMThe plain text won't work. When you type "@" and then start a member's name, the forum should give you a popup showing members that match the letters you type. Click on one of those member names and the forum will create a hyperlink mention that alerts the other user.
That's what I thought. On my Windows 10 laptop in Chrome, there's no popup. Haven't tried either handheld device yet. However. I do see a Save Draft button. Thanks, Rob. Will report further.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 02, 2022, 03:48:02 AMThat's what I thought. On my Windows 10 laptop in Chrome, there's no popup. Haven't tried either handheld device yet. However. I do see a Save Draft button. Thanks, Rob. Will report further.
Doesn't work on my Android phone, either.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dungeon Master

Could people try to tag me @Dungeon Master and report if the feature is or is not working for them? I have looked through all settings and permissions, and can see no reason why it should not be working for all.

I think this is an important feature, as you can specify who you are replying to in a lengthy thread.

For me it is working on desktop and mobile.

Type the @ character, followed by just the first letter or two of the member you wish to mention, wait a half second for the pop up to give you a choice of usernames and then click the user you want.

Dungeon Master

Quote from: ultralinear on December 02, 2022, 04:29:53 AMSave Draft didn't work for me the first time I tried it - instead it took me straight to a login screen - and then into Start New Topic, of all things ::)  (losing my draft message along the way. ;D )  But after that it's been working fine. (I just saved and recalled this message, as a check. :) )
Just testing draft mode.

Pohjolas Daughter

@Dungeon Master

It's working for me (and on an old iMac using Safari).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter