Software update

Started by Dungeon Master, November 22, 2022, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Quote from: Madiel on December 06, 2022, 09:26:27 AM🇧🇪🤔🥰😿👁�👧🏾👮🏼�♂️🥷🏻🧜🏼�♂️👯🧑🏻�🦽🧥🎩🐹🐟🌎

Sounds like you had a good night out  :P
Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 06, 2022, 10:02:57 AMNo further idea Andrei, sorry. What I mentioned was for Windows 10 & 11, I assume you are on one of those two ?

Nope, Windows 7.  ;D

Thanks, anyway.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Quote from: absolutelybaching on December 06, 2022, 09:33:22 AMJust type colon+closed round bracket: :)
Or colon+capital D = :D
Or colon+hyphen+asterisk: :-*

Obviously, I think you get all those 'easy' emoji's from the toolbar at the top of a reply/quick reply panel.

Yes, I have the above in the toolbar: in order, smiley, cheesy and kiss. It's the "laugh" one that hasn't been showing anymore for a few days now.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Florestan on December 06, 2022, 10:09:19 AMNope, Windows 7.  ;D

Thanks, anyway.

Fair enough  ;D

You can download an emoji keyboard app on cnet as an alternative option.
Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 06, 2022, 10:19:08 AMFair enough  ;D

You can download an emoji keyboard app on cnet as an alternative option.

Actually, too much trouble. I'll make do with what I have in the toolbar.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on December 06, 2022, 10:50:45 AMActually, too much trouble. I'll make do with what I have in the toolbar.
Right? Just not that invested in the use of emojis.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I maybe wrong, but it seems to me that the search function is only partially/minimally functioning.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 06, 2022, 11:45:53 AMI maybe wrong, but it seems to me that the search function is only partially/minimally functioning.
There had been discussion here about that.  Last I knew, there was an issue trying to search for something within a particular thread but not in terms of boards (Like "Opera and Vocal" for instance) nor during a search within the whole forum.  Rob knows about it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on December 06, 2022, 08:30:52 AMWhat is an "emoji keyboard" ??   :o
I was just about to ask the same question!  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

One feature that I've never found that helpful is the one which states something like 'WARNING!!! someone has just posted a new message on this thread'. Considering that in the WAYLTN thread, for example, there is a fairly constant stream of traffic this 'warning' nearly always pops up; others, however, might find it very helpful.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: vandermolen on December 06, 2022, 01:03:25 PMOne feature that I've never found that helpful is the one which states something like 'WARNING!!! someone has just posted a new message on this thread'. Considering that in the WAYLTN thread, for example, there is a fairly constant stream of traffic this 'warning' nearly always pops up; others, however, might find it very helpful.

I turned that...stuff off 20 years ago and never looked back.  Not so much unhelpful for me as just a big "so?"  ::)

🤠
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 06, 2022, 01:08:16 PMI turned that...stuff off 20 years ago and never looked back.  Not so much unhelpful for me as just a big "so?"  ::)

🤠
How do you 'turn it off' please?
I didn't realise that it was an option.

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on December 06, 2022, 01:16:16 PMHow do you 'turn it off' please?
I didn't realise that it was an option.

It's on the Look/Layout portion of your Profile.

I don't mind it; and it sometimes saves me from repititive posts and such.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on December 06, 2022, 01:28:08 PMIt's on the Look/Layout portion of your Profile.

I don't mind it; and it sometimes saves me from repititive posts and such.
Thanks Jeffrey  :)

Wanderer

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 06, 2022, 01:08:16 PMI turned that...stuff off 20 years ago and never looked back.

Likewise. Also, signatures.

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 06, 2022, 12:02:05 PMThere had been discussion here about that.  Last I knew, there was an issue trying to search for something within a particular thread but not in terms of boards (Like "Opera and Vocal" for instance) nor during a search within the whole forum.  Rob knows about it.

PD

Another wrinkle in search is "Search for posts by user." Unfortunately I have not figured out what the issue is yet.

Here is a little example breakdown.
I had a conversation with Todd recently about the pianist Kempff.

Searching for Kempff and selecting user Todd and checking the "show results as messages" box returns 9 pages of results.
Searching for Kempff and selecting user Brian and allowing search to show results as threads returns 20 results.
Searching for Kempff and selecting user Brian and checking the "show results as messages" box returns 0 (zero) results.

I don't understand why results-as-messages works for one user but not another...or why results-as-threads works more consistently.

Scion7

The new phonograph/horn icon avatar symbol sacrificial-lamb rock-concert t-shirt emblem in the top left corner ...
I thought the old emblem was perfect.  Any was on our end to adjust that?  Or are we stuck like Mac OS no 64-bit applications from this point on no exceptions tough for you suckituppables?   >:D
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

JBS

FWIW I have no problem with the Victrola emblem we now have.
I barely remember the old one, tbh.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Dungeon Master

Quote from: Scion7 on December 09, 2022, 02:36:38 PMThe new phonograph/horn icon avatar symbol sacrificial-lamb rock-concert t-shirt emblem in the top left corner ...
I thought the old emblem was perfect.  Any was on our end to adjust that? 

With the new software and layout, the old logo didn't fit. So I designed a new one, that you see here. 

I made a separate thread where I fully admitted I was no graphic designer and if members had better design skills than me, please submit your best logo.

I got a grand total of zero submissions.

So after 2 weeks I removed the request thread and decided that either:
1. People were very happy with the new logo
Or
2. Members hated the new logo but had even worse design skills than me 

If you can design a better logo than me, please feel free.  PNG format, 72 pixels high. 

Spotted Horses

The new logo is just fine. I can't remember what the old logo was.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington