Recommandations for Prokofiev's op.80?

Started by Michel Parent, April 16, 2007, 07:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel Parent

I've recently discovered Prokofiev's violin sonata op.80 on youtube, there is a video with David Oistrakh and Sviatoslav Richter and it is strikingly beautiful. Do you know where that, or any other excellent record of this sonata can be found on cd?

Thanks.

Don

Quote from: Michel Parent on April 16, 2007, 07:42:06 AM
I've recently discovered Prokofiev's violin sonata op.80 on youtube, there is a video with David Oistrakh and Sviatoslav Richter and it is strikingly beautiful. Do you know where that, or any other excellent record of this sonata can be found on cd?

Thanks.

I know of an Orfeo disc from Richter and Oistrakh having Op. 80 along with the Brahms Violin Sonata No. 2.

not edward

Quote from: Don on April 16, 2007, 07:49:22 AM
I know of an Orfeo disc from Richter and Oistrakh having Op. 80 along with the Brahms Violin Sonata No. 2.
I have it on the way to me. Will report when it arrives.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

RebLem

I wuz gonna say, the Oistrakh/Richter, which is one of two that its on the ArkivMusic recommended list for this work, and its currently on sale, to boot.  http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=9744&name_role1=1&genre=70&bcorder=19&comp_id=18827

Also, there is another recommended one available for the princely sum of $9.49 performed by Cathérine Ordronneau (Piano) & Kai Gleusteen (Violin), coupled with works of Janacek and Shostakovich.
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=9744&name_role1=1&genre=70&bcorder=19&comp_id=18827
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

carlos

There's an Oistrakh-Frida Bauer recording on a Praga CD
(1969). And you have a very young Perlman-Ashkenazy
on the same date,on RCA.
Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

Robert

Thanks.
Sitkovetsky   VIRGIN
Kremer DG

Don

Quote from: RebLem on April 16, 2007, 11:19:41 AM
I wuz gonna say, the Oistrakh/Richter, which is one of two that its on the ArkivMusic recommended list for this work, and its currently on sale, to boot.  http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=9744&name_role1=1&genre=70&bcorder=19&comp_id=18827

Also, there is another recommended one available for the princely sum of $9.49 performed by Cathérine Ordronneau (Piano) & Kai Gleusteen (Violin), coupled with works of Janacek and Shostakovich.
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=9744&name_role1=1&genre=70&bcorder=19&comp_id=18827

The peformances on the Gleusteen/Avie recording are quite good, but the "swimming" acoustic could be problematic to some listeners.

Michel Parent

karlhenning

That's a piece so good, I get chills just reading the title.

Quote from: Robert on April 16, 2007, 11:44:34 AM
Sitkovetsky   VIRGIN
Kremer DG

Hmm . . . I should check out the Sitkovetsky.  The Kremer/Argerich was one of the first cd's I ever bought.

Robert

Quote from: karlhenning on April 16, 2007, 12:50:50 PM
That's a piece so good, I get chills just reading the title.

Hmm . . . I should check out the Sitkovetsky.  The Kremer/Argerich was one of the first cd's I ever bought.
Karl

Im thinking it may be oop. I believe I once saw it at amazon for cheap.....Sitkovetsky warm and beautiful tone warmer than Kremer.....He has a tendency to be abit harsh.....

Dancing Divertimentian

Oistrakh/Richter on Orfeo is highly recommendable.

My fave, however, is a Philips recording with Mullova/Anderszewski:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Robert

Thanks.

David Oistrakh inspired this piece and he was the dedicatee of the piece...FYI The sonata no. 2 started life as a flute sonata. Oistrakh helped Prokofiev make some adjustments in the flute part to make it suitable for the violin, but without altering the piano writing at all....The flute sonata op94 still is in the repertoire. The Violin Sonata no2 is numbered 94A.