Mozart forum

Started by USMC1960s, November 30, 2022, 07:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMC1960s

There was a Mozart forum that was in existence several ago then suddenly disappeared from the Internet. It was fairly popular. Does anyone know why it ceased to be? Or do any of you remember it?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Dave B on November 30, 2022, 07:31:03 PMThere was a Mozart forum that was in existence several ago then suddenly disappeared from the Internet. It was fairly popular. Does anyone know why it ceased to be? Or do any of you remember it?

I was a member there for several years before I ever heard of GMG. I learned more about Mozart there than anywhere else.  Most of the members were professionals and knew their stuff.

Like many areas populated by academics, there was a lot of behind the scenes (usually) bickering,  arguing and pissing on each other,  but it was much loved by its members. 

If you need an exact whodunit, I couldn't say,  but the end was prompted by a major hack that destroyed the site. There was an attempt to rebuild which failed for reasons I am unaware of,  and it disappeared.  I still have a bunch of papers from the archive including a spreadsheet with a fully annotated Koechel 6 that I rely on. 

🤠😎
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Leo K.

Wow, I remember that forum as well and actually loved the hate between the academics - but wow there was tons of great information on that site.  It is missed.