Mozart

Started by USMC1960s, December 01, 2022, 09:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMC1960s

I'm trying to develop a deeper appreciation of the music of Mozart. Toward this end, what CDs would you recommend as being "essential " to this endeavor?
Thank you in advance.

USMC1960s

I have only 6 or 7 CDs of his music. Asking for CD recommendations might be too much to ask for, so maybe just what specific areas of his music. E.g his violin concertos, all piano works, all his symphonies.
A less rigorous request might be, also, to ask you which 2 or 3 Mozart CDs you like best.

Lisztianwagner

I would recommend Schiff or Uchida for the Piano Sonatas, Ashkenazy/Philharmonia for the Piano Concertos and Kleiber/WP for Le Nozze di Figaro.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mandryka

I think you should see Don Giovanni and Figaro.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Dave B on December 01, 2022, 09:44:13 AMI have only 6 or 7 CDs of his music. Asking for CD recommendations might be too much to ask for, so maybe just what specific areas of his music. E.g his violin concertos, all piano works, all his symphonies.
A less rigorous request might be, also, to ask you which 2 or 3 Mozart CDs you like best.

Whenever I try to answer this question I end up with something approaching Mozart's complete works.

If I really pare it down I would arrive at the last 4 symphonies, the The Piano Concerti from 12 on, String Quintets, the Sting Quartets, especially the last 4, and the music for wind ensemble (Serenades K361, K375, K388). The piano sonatas, particularly the two minor key sonatas, are also deeply satisfying, in their way. Maybe I should tack on the two Piano Quartets.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

USMC1960s

Coincidentally, I was thinking of getting Mozart's complete works. Then I can delve into this or that, but it would all be right there in front of me.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Dave B on December 01, 2022, 10:12:56 AMCoincidentally, I was thinking of getting Mozart's complete works. Then I can delve into this or that, but it would all be right there in front of me.

Hi Dave - some guidelines of your interests, e.g. symphonies vs. chamber works, modern vs. period instruments, etc. may help.  I own over 200 Mozart CDs (many as small-medium boxes, such as Symphonies, Piano Concertos, etc.) - not much into vocal works so no operas despite their fame - do have his Masses and Requiem x 2 - let us know where you would like to 'start' and plenty of recommendations will likely be posted.  Also, search the forum - there are already plenty of Wolfie threads available.  Good luck.  Dave :)

calyptorhynchus

For me the essence of Mozart is the Piano Concertos, get a complete set (preferably PI, because they sound better that way).
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

USMC1960s

All Mozart except operas. Modern instruments only.
But I'll search the forum first, as you suggested.
Right now I'm listening to Complete Wind Concertos, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, 3 CDs.

USMC1960s

So far I'm listening to the complete wind concertos, the violin concertos, piano concertos, all the symphonies.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Dave B on December 01, 2022, 11:10:59 AMAll Mozart except operas. Modern instruments only.
But I'll search the forum first, as you suggested.
Right now I'm listening to Complete Wind Concertos, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, 3 CDs.

Well, for this era I like to have a mix of MIs and PIs - since you're likely to grab a set of Mozart's Keyboard Concertos, plenty of discussion on the forum in multiple threads - at the moment, I have 4 sets of these works, 2 on modern piano and 2 on fortepiano - see attachment (blue boxes are the MIs) - Anda is a popular choice (he did the No. 21 in the movie Elvira Madigan) - Dave :)

P.S. click on attachments to enlarge.

j winter

Quote from: Dave B on December 01, 2022, 11:15:50 AMSo far I'm listening to the complete wind concertos, the violin concertos, piano concertos, all the symphonies.
That's a great start already!  I would suggest adding some of the serenades and other orchestral music (Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Gran Partita, etc.), the "Haydn" quartets and the quintets, and probably a set of the piano sonatas (at least the later ones).  And definitely an opera or two if that's your kind of thing.  As SonicMan mentioned, take a look around the forum, particularly in the Great Recordings section, there are pages and pages of recommendations.

You have a whole world in front of you -- enjoy!  8)
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Mandryka

USMC1960s

Never heard those before.
So, almost anything by Mozart

Mandryka

In truth I can never deal with your sort of question with any confidence except by trying to recall how I started to get into Mozart's music -- which for a long time I thought was trivial and boring. Apart from Don Giovanni and Figaro, the things which made me rethink that were Heifetz and friends playing K563 and  K424

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OGVRIzdM1E&ab_channel=musizieren
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A76asjhfhjA&ab_channel=MiguelJoaquimFernandes

Dino Lipatti playing the central movement of K 310

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsYCyZMf0iY&ab_channel=StAndrewsPianoTuition

Griller playing K 516

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHDAGIhqCO8&ab_channel=amiyarimi

and Mackerras playing the Prague Symphony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHe64y7SlkI&ab_channel=SirCharlesMacKerras-Topic

That should get you started at least.

Jo498

piano concertos: Barenboim/English chamber (EMI) or with Berlin (Teldec) I think it's easiest to get all of them. Several of my favorites are before #20, e.g. #9, 17, 18, 19, so I'd never recommend only "late" (and that's misleading anyway as #12-25 were written almost continously from 1783-86)

string quartets: 10 "mature", i.e. 6 dedicated to Haydn, "Hoffmeister K 499 and 3 "Prussian", Alban Berg Q. (Teldec). I don'f find the early 13 essential, but it might be cheap and easy to get the whole lot with the Hagen or Italiano

string quintets: Smetana/Denon or Talich/Calliope (or some other re-issue label)

clarinet quintet: plenty of good recordings, if you like woodwinds get Academy of St. Martin Chamber group with clarinet, horn, oboe + strings

piano + woodwind quintet: Kocsis (probably impossible to find), or Brendel + Holliger etc. (Philips)

mature violin sonatas: Zimmermann/Lonquich (EMI)

string trio K563: Kremer, Ma, Kashkashian (Sony) or Dumay et al. (EMI) or Zimmermann et al. on BIS

symphonies. The first 30 are early works, the sheer numbers might be a bit overwhelming. The last 4 (38-41) are the best but 35, 36 are also very famous, 33 and 34 should not be overlooked and the best of the earlier ones are 25, 28 and 29. Marriner is a safe choice for elegant modern chamber orchestra but not the most characterful but I am not sure what else on modern instruments in modern sound.

Generally, the Philips "Complete Mozart Edition" that appeared around the anniversary 1991 and was at least once reissued later (probably twice, or at least large portions were) had good to excellent recordings on modern instruments. If you see any of them, they are usually safe choices.

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Todd

Piano Concertos - Schiff/Vegh

Piano Sonatas - William Youn

Violin Concertos - Grumiaux/Davis

Violin Sonatas - FPZ/Lonquich

String Quartets - Armida Quartet

String Quintets - Grumiaux, et al

Serenades & Divertimenti - Vegh

Symphonies - Mackerras

Requiem - Krips
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

USMC1960s

So helpful..
I'm all set for now. This gives me direction. Thank you.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Todd on December 01, 2022, 12:44:02 PMPiano Concertos - Schiff/Vegh
String Quintets - Grumiaux, et all
Symphonies - Mackerras
Requiem - Krips

Hi Todd - in your list above, William Youn piqued my interest in the KB Sonatas - I own 4 sets (2 PI + 2 MI); of the latter, the pianists are Daniel-Ben Pienaar & Michael Endres, both pleasant to my ears but having seen your comments before about Youn, I did some googling and the reviews are excellent, including the comment below from our Jens on Ionarts - assume the box is slim in cardboard sleeves?  BUT, bottom line just made a purchase from JPC for about $18 USD - good deal for 5 discs - hope to enjoy w/ your endorsement!  8)  Dave

Quote08/22/2018: William Youn's cycle has since been finished with volume 5 and already released in boxed form, too. It shoots to the top of the recommendation list, as expected. (Source)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Todd on December 01, 2022, 12:44:02 PMPiano Concertos - Schiff/Vegh

String Quintets - Grumiaux, et all

Symphonies - Mackerras

Requiem - Krips

Going down this list, the only one I am not at all familiar with is the Armida Quartet set. I generally listen to the Italiano, Hagen and Alban Berg Quartet cycles, but am always open to something new.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington