Mozart

Started by USMC1960s, December 01, 2022, 09:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

What about the Piano Trios?
I have Mutter and friends, Beaux Art Trio, and Trio Fontenay. Am I missing any worthwhile recordings?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

premont

Nobody has mentioned the clarinet concerto, which I find to be one of the most important of his works.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jo498

Dave had mentioned that he already had the woodwind concerti (Orpheus chamber/DG and that's a pretty good one with Neidich), so I skipped them, partly because clarinet and horn are the only ones I care about.

As for the piano trios, I think they can mostly take a back seat for the beginner.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on December 02, 2022, 12:13:24 AMAs for the piano trios, I think they can mostly take a back seat for the beginner.

Kegelstadtt's cool, even with a violin.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Jo498 on December 02, 2022, 12:13:24 AMAs for the piano trios, I think they can mostly take a back seat for the beginner.

Depends on the listener. In my case I didn't get them at first but revisiting them more recently they were quite captivating. The Piano Quartets made a more immediate impression on me.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Jo498

The Kegelstatt is my favorite of the trios but strictly with clarinet. But I couldn't think right away of a modern instrument recording, maybe Sabine Meyer etc.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Very good suggestions so far. I would add the following otomh:

Sinfonia concertante for Violin, Viola and Orchestra
Flute & Harp Concerto
Oboe Quartet
Quintet for Piano & Winds
Sonata for Bassoon and Cello
The Church Sonatas

His vocal music, be it operatic, sacred or concert arias, is of the highest quality and it's truly a pity to ignore it altogether.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 01, 2022, 07:31:26 PMGoing down this list, the only one I am not at all familiar with is the Armida Quartet set. I generally listen to the Italiano, Hagen and Alban Berg Quartet cycles, but am always open to something new.

The Armida produced the Mozart cycle I was searching for.  No one ensemble prior to them was able to so consistently deliver the style and sound I sought.  I've listened to all of their recordings except the Col Legno ones.  Everything is superb.  Since they named themselves after the Haydn opera, I hope they set out to record a lot of Haydn in preparation for 2032.  All of the members are in their thirties, so their best years may yet be ahead of them.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Recently I greatly enjoyed this:

And last year I was blown away by this:

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Todd on December 02, 2022, 04:32:44 AMThe Armida produced the Mozart cycle I was searching for.  No one ensemble prior to them was able to so consistently deliver the style and sound I sought.  I've listened to all of their recordings except the Col Legno ones.  Everything is superb.  Since they named themselves after the Haydn opera, I hope they set out to record a lot of Haydn in preparation for 2032.  All of the members are in their thirties, so their best years may yet be ahead of them.

Only available in individual releases as of yet, it appears. I'll keep an eye open for a boxing.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington