Jazz trios

Started by vers la flamme, December 05, 2022, 06:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

I can't get enough of the classic Bill Evans Trio with Paul Motian and Scott LaFaro lately. Also have been digging some of Keith Jarrett's trio work on ECM. Any recommendations for further exploration into this genre would be appreciated!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

SimonNZ

A big +1 for that Geri Allen album.

KevinP

Ahmad Jamal, though I prefer his earlier trio with guitar. But that's in no way meant to poo-poo his later trio work.

You also may want to track down Alice Coltrane's trio albums.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: KevinP on December 09, 2022, 04:53:35 PMhis earlier trio with guitar.

Never knew the album. I must check it out!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

eoghan

Pretty broad question. Pretty much all the great pianists (Tyner, Silver, Hancock etc) recorded in trio format on at least a few occasions. I suppose Bill Evans and Oscar Peterson stand out as two who did loads of trio albums (one which stands out is the Oscar Peterson LP "Nigerian Marketplace" featuring simply stunning bass playing from Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen.

Others to look out for who did great trio stuff: Mary Lou Williams, Brad Mehldau, Robert Glasper, Hilton Ruiz

Brian

Some recordings I like:

Money Jungle (Duke/Mingus/Roach), the most discordant and violent trio of contrasting personalities
Exclusively for My Friends (Oscar Peterson), the most telepathically harmonious of trios (maybe)
Dave Brubeck Trio Live in Europe, from a concert Paul Desmond missed because he was out partying
You Can't Lose with the Blues (Lafayette Harris Jr.), a very recent album paying tribute to classic style
Live from the Village Vanguard (3 CDs), Bill Evans Trio
Cross Country Tour, Ahmad Jamal Trio

Also, recent years have seen many high-quality sound reissues or first issues of classic Erroll Garner material, perhaps the best (and most deluxe packaging) being Nightconcert, live from the Amsterdam Concertgebouw.

I just ordered a bunch of Hank Jones trio albums and am eagerly looking forward to their arrival.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh