Your favorite books read in 2022.

Started by MN Dave, December 18, 2022, 03:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

Assuming you keep track.
My 5-star reads in 2022:
-Witch-Cult Abbey by Mark Samuels (horror)
-The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin (sf)
-Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (sf)
-Blindsight by Peter Watts (sf)
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

SimonNZ

The one I've thought about most often and have even considered rereading in the near future was David Halbestam's history The Fiftes. Every week for most of this year there has been something else I've read or heard that has reminded me of Halbestam's view on whichever of the many subjects that book covers.

Other easily recommended standouts read this year were three of the five so far published of Dominic Sandbrook's series on modern Britain (still have to read the first two) and the first three volumes of Robert Caro's biography on Lyndon Johnson.

Ganondorf

It will probably take till next year to finish but I started Henry James's The Golden Bowl this year's side and so far it's been an absolute blast.

I wonder, would it count as a Great American Novel, although merely in the sense of the Author's being born in United States? However, it's themes are not particularly American, IMO.

Bachtoven

I've read a lot of dark, creepy novels, but this one must rank near or at the top! It's billed as gothic horror science fiction, and I've never read anything like it. Her writing is stunning. If you have an aversion to parasites, then give it a hard pass. 

MN Dave

Quote from: Bachtoven on December 19, 2022, 07:38:34 AMI've read a lot of dark, creepy novels, but this one must rank near or at the top! It's billed as gothic horror science fiction, and I've never read anything like it. Her writing is stunning. If you have an aversion to parasites, then give it a hard pass.

Added to my wishlist
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Bachtoven

Quote from: MN Dave on December 19, 2022, 08:06:02 AMAdded to my wishlist
Be aware that she often slowly and subtly reveals what is going on, and some times she never does! She's deliberately ambiguous so readers can decide for themselves.

vers la flamme

Jun'ichiro Tanizaki's Naomi
Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita
Graham Greene's The Quiet American
Ryu Murakami's In the Miso Soup
Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 and Dance Dance Dance
Cixin Liu's The Three-Body Problem
Natsume Soseki's Botchan
Albert Camus's The Stranger (a reread)
Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle, Book 1 (just finished a few days ago, loved it)

Unfortunately, being super busy with school and work this past year, I didn't get to read nearly as many books as I did in 2021, but these are some definite highlights.