Center-Right
2 (10%)
Right
1 (5%)
Far Right
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Florestan

There is no measurable quizz for this question. The idea is to let us know what you identify yourself as being.

Myself, I am politically center-right (constitutional monarchist), economically center-left (social-democrat), socially right (conservative), culturally centrist (anything goes, not anything is to my liking). Overall, centrist, I'd say, maybe center-right by a slight margin.

How 'bout you?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

I'll call myself center-left. when I first registered to vote, I registered as a Democrat; I've since changed my registration to Unaffiliated.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Are you required to register as "something" în order to be able to vote în the USA? I mean, if you are unregistered you can't vote?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on January 02, 2023, 01:02:45 PMAre you required to register as "something" în order to be able to vote în the USA? I mean, if you are unregistered you can't vote?

One must register to vote.  Registration takes multiple forms.  All registered voters can vote in general elections.  Different states have different rules regarding voter participation in primaries.  There are closed and open primary states. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

This has been covered multiple times before, at least twice (if memory serves) using a political matrix model, which does come with a quiz: https://uselectionatlas.org/TOOLS/POLMTX/ 

BasilValentine

Quote from: Florestan on January 02, 2023, 01:02:45 PMAre you required to register as "something" în order to be able to vote în the USA? I mean, if you are unregistered you can't vote?

One can vote in general elections without belonging to a party. There is, however, a kind of preliminary voting round called the primaries, where the parties choose the candidates who will represent the party in the general election. In most US states one can only vote for primary candidates in the party to which one belongs. 

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on January 02, 2023, 01:11:10 PMOne must register to vote.

The only thing a Romanian citizen must prove în order to vote is that they are at least 18 yo Romanian citizens, and they do that by way of their ID card.

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on January 02, 2023, 01:11:35 PMThis has been covered multiple times before, at least twice (if memory serves) using a political matrix model, which does come with a quiz: https://uselectionatlas.org/TOOLS/POLMTX/ 

I emphatically stated that this is about self-identification.

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on January 02, 2023, 01:20:44 PMThe only thing a Romanian citizen must prove în order to vote is that they are at least 18 yo Romanian citizens, and they do that by way of their ID card.

Such a system would never work in the US.  For instance, many Democrats vociferously oppose ID requirements, arguing that it is a form of voter suppression.

Quote from: Florestan on January 02, 2023, 01:25:18 PMI emphatically stated that this is about self-identification.

That's fine, but self-identification relies on different definitions of what "left" and "right" even mean.

Florestan

Quote from: BasilValentine on January 02, 2023, 01:17:32 PMIn most US states one can only vote for primary candidates in the party to which one belongs. 

Isn't this the surest way to the factionalism that the FF supposedly abhorred?

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on January 02, 2023, 01:26:40 PMmany Democrats vociferously oppose ID requirements, arguing that it is a form of voter suppression.

Many Democrats are lunatic.

Quoteself-identification relies on different definitions of what "left" and "right" even mean.

Yes, and it makes all the more interesting.

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on January 02, 2023, 01:31:40 PMMany Democrats are lunatic.

I can neither confirm nor deny this assertion.

If you would like a more thorough explanation, the ACLU has one: OPPOSE VOTER ID LEGISLATION - FACT SHEET

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on January 02, 2023, 01:38:01 PMI can neither confirm nor deny this assertion.

If you would like a more thorough explanation, the ACLU has one: OPPOSE VOTER ID LEGISLATION - FACT SHEET

I presume only USA citizens may vote în a USA election. How, then, are they supposed to be identified as such, if not by an USA ID card?

No, really, if I went to a Romanian election station and told them I had no money, or no time, to get, or renew, my ID card, they would laugh me out and if I still insisted
to vote, they would call the police.

And rightly so.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Florestan on January 02, 2023, 01:20:44 PMThe only thing a Romanian citizen must prove în order to vote is that they are at least 18 yo Romanian citizens, and they do that by way of their ID card.

In the U.S. there is no national ID card. To register to vote you typically need proof of identity, citizenship and residency in the location where you intend to vote. This may involve a state drivers license or ID, social security card, birth certificate, passport, home lease or deed, utility bill, etc. then you can wonder what documentation is required to get a driver's license. In Texas you can use a gun permit.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Florestan

Karl Henning

One needs to register to vote in one's state of residence. In Massachusetts, QED, one need not register with either major party to vote in a general election. As to primaries, the rule varies from state to state, but in Mass. since I am Unaffiliated, I cannot vote in a primary election.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on January 02, 2023, 01:54:50 PM.

Which is sheer lunacy.
It's shy of lunacy, one hopes. Probably the closest thing is a Real ID. It isn't very close because (a) there is no Federal requirement that one have a Real ID and (b) it is issued by the state, not the Federal govt.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on January 02, 2023, 01:48:46 PMI presume only USA citizens may vote în a USA election.

For now.  Mostly.  Non-citizens can vote in some local elections.  Some Democrats are pushing to expand non-citizen voting. 

Quote from: Florestan on January 02, 2023, 01:54:50 PMWhich is sheer lunacy.

First, there will never be a national ID similar to a state driver's license.  There is a Social Security Card, but that is not a photo ID.  There should never be national ID similar to a state driver's license.  Second, the Constitution gives power to set election rules to states, not the federal government. That is one practical reason why a national ID is not needed.  It is definitely not desirable.

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on January 02, 2023, 02:17:21 PMThere should never be national ID

Then there should never be any USA citizenship requiremenr for anything,  because that which  should never be should simply not exist.