Jazz flute

Started by vers la flamme, January 13, 2023, 06:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Listening to the excellent side one track one of Oliver Nelson's The Blues and the Abstract Truth—which my dad, a record store owner and a jazz lover for many decades, recently told me was his favorite jazz album of all time—something occurred to me. Eric Dolphy's flute solo is just killer. It makes the song. Unfortunately, however, it's the only jazz flute solo I can even think of right now.

If anyone would care to recommend me great jazz flute recordings, I would be much obliged.

KevinP

My favourite would be this tenor saxist who doubled on the flute:

eoghan

You've got guys like Herbie Mann and Paul Horn who played flute pretty much exclusively and there are loads of good recordings from them.

The Beastie Boys sampled Jeremy Steig's "Howlin for Judy" which is a great tune.

Try Tenderlonious for more recent stuff although it may not be jazz enough for you depending on taste.

There's a flute solo in the middle of another favourite of mine, Count Basie's version of Pharoah Sanders' "Japan" although that's really an Oliver Nelson version with Basie branding on it.

James Spaulding is another name to look out for - try the beautiful Stanley Cowell tune "Effi" on Bobby Hutcherson's LP Patterns.

eoghan

Oh and how could I forget Yusef Lateef?

vers la flamme

Quote from: eoghan on January 14, 2023, 09:42:07 AMOh and how could I forget Yusef Lateef?

I haven't listened to much Lateef. Any particular albums you'd recommend? Particularly flute heavy ones  ;D

Artem

Check out Lloyd McNeill, especially the Washington Suite.

T. D.

Maybe an obscure name, but this guy was a pioneer of sorts who preceded the big names mentioned above (granted this is a later recording and he plays clarinet on 2 numbers):

Nunc Dimittis

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 13, 2023, 06:06:57 PMListening to the excellent side one track one of Oliver Nelson's The Blues and the Abstract Truth—which my dad, a record store owner and a jazz lover for many decades, recently told me was his favorite jazz album of all time—something occurred to me. Eric Dolphy's flute solo is just killer. It makes the song. Unfortunately, however, it's the only jazz flute solo I can even think of right now.

If anyone would care to recommend me great jazz flute recordings, I would be much obliged.

One of my all-time favorites, Frank Wess in Opus de Funk from the Milt Jackson album Opus de Jazz on Savoy.  Just makes me happy and animated. 

In a very different mood, Herbie Mann's Purple Grotto.
"[Er] lernte Neues auf jedem Schritt seines Weges, denn die Welt war verwandelt, und sein Herz war bezaubert." - Hesse

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 13, 2023, 06:06:57 PMEric Dolphy's flute solo is just killer
I've been a great fan of Dolphy forever. A recent passion has been Rahsaan Roland Kirk, another formidable multi-instrumentalist.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

And, I heard this duo play a concert Tuesday evening.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

AnotherSpin

Some famous jazz musicians who played the flute are named above. Also, Sam Rivers, James Newton, Benny Maupin could be added. Charles Lloyd sometimes used the flute. Very interesting Czech jazz musician Jiří Stivín would be recommended as well.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

T. D.

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 29, 2023, 10:01:41 AMI've been a great fan of Dolphy forever. A recent passion has been Rahsaan Roland Kirk, another formidable multi-instrumentalist.

Agreed of course on Dolphy. I'm a massive fan of RRK, though I'm not sure he's 100% approved of by flute purists.

I feel obliged to mention Frank Strozier, one of my favorite "underrated" musicians, who played (I think he abandoned the music business) flute as well as alto, though the same remark about purists may apply.
Track 1 here:

I've become interested in Japanese jazz, and Hozan Yamamoto has some shakuhachi recordings, e.g.

KevinP

Well here's an interesting one...