Three Favorite Countries

Started by Florestan, January 18, 2023, 07:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Considering an aggregate of scenery, cuisine, culture, music (including folklore) and other arts, which are your three favorite countries, other than your own?

Mine are (in alphabetical order):

France
Italy
Spain

Honorable mentions: Austria, Greece, Switzerland.

Your turn.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Daverz

Mexico
Japan
Finland ties with Czechia

71 dB

Listing three least favorite countries might be easier task, but I try:

The United Kingdom
Germany
Japan

Quote from: Daverz on January 18, 2023, 09:08:19 AMFinland ties with Czechia

Thanks!  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Brian

Favorite countries I have visited, based on my enjoyment of the visits:

Belgium
Croatia
T. Mexico and Guatemala

Including culture, music, art, etc. and its influence on my life:

Turkey
Czechia*
France

*have not visited in real life yet

Lisztianwagner

There are many, anyway in my case:

Austria
Germany
United Kingdom ties with France
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on January 18, 2023, 11:04:36 AMcountries I have visited,

Yes, my list consists of such countries only.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Holden

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi.
Cheers

Holden

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: Holden on January 18, 2023, 10:34:18 PMAussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi.

You haven't paid much attention to the OP, have you?  ;D

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2023, 07:55:04 AMConsidering an aggregate of scenery, cuisine, culture, music (including folklore) and other arts, which are your three favorite countries, other than your own?

Jo498

I haven't really travelled enough and the foreign country I spent most time in (USA), I'd not want to live in except maybe in very specific circumstances (basically having fu money and flexibility).
And a few holidays or short business trips rarely show how it is to really live in a country.
So I'd go with Austria, Switzerland and probably (northern) Italy (never been to the southern 2/3 of the country), so all still HRE territory ;)
O.k. I see now that I somewhat over-interpreted the question as it's not necessarily about wanting to live permanently in a country. But I'll stick with my choice.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Irons

For me -

USA
Germany
France

The next on my bucket list of must visit is Passau in Bavaria.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Jo498

Quote from: Irons on January 19, 2023, 07:35:29 AMThe next on my bucket list of must visit is Passau in Bavaria.
Don't miss the organ of the Dom St. Stephan (largest church organ in the world, it was surpassed as largest organ in the world by one in Atlantic City).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2023, 07:55:04 AMConsidering an aggregate of scenery, cuisine, culture, music (including folklore) and other arts, which are your three favorite countries, other than your own?

Mine are (in alphabetical order):

France
Italy
Spain

Honorable mentions: Austria, Greece, Switzerland.

Your turn.

"Then the idiot who praises, with enthusiastic tone
All centuries but this, and every country but his own."
- WS Gilbert, "The Mikado"

That said, from my travels I would agree - Italy, France, and Spain have been my faves. Switzerland a close runner-up too, and I loved the Scandinavian countries, all of which I've seen except Norway.

Many places I have yet to visit, but I am now afraid to travel partly because of older age and partly because of lingering Covid fears. I do not think I could anymore mount the staircase at St. Peter's as when I was 40.

I have a secret longing to do one of those 9-month cruises all over the world. But what if I need medical attention, and what if some borders are closed due to the pandemic?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Thailand, Taiwan, Argentina.

Irons

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on January 19, 2023, 08:32:21 AM"Then the idiot who praises, with enthusiastic tone
All centuries but this, and every country but his own."
- WS Gilbert, "The Mikado"

That said, from my travels I would agree - Italy, France, and Spain have been my faves. Switzerland a close runner-up too, and I loved the Scandinavian countries, all of which I've seen except Norway.

Many places I have yet to visit, but I am now afraid to travel partly because of older age and partly because of lingering Covid fears. I do not think I could anymore mount the staircase at St. Peter's as when I was 40.

I have a secret longing to do one of those 9-month cruises all over the world. But what if I need medical attention, and what if some borders are closed due to the pandemic?

We are keen cruisers but never longer then two weeks. With P&O at least, if anyone falls ill - which is a fairly regular occurrence with over 3000 mainly elderly on board - they simply drop them off at the nearest port arranging a hospital visit and carry on with the cruise. At the last one a helicopter arrived from the French mainland and they winched the unfortunate up!
We know of a couple who are keen ballroom dancers who just after Christmas embarked on a second world cruise, opposite way around this time. Three months! Part of me would like to, but too much of a good thing, I think. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

ritter

Quote from: Irons on January 20, 2023, 02:10:24 AM...With P&O at least, if anyone falls ill - which is a fairly regular occurrence with over 3000 mainly elderly on board - they simply drop them off ...
When I first, cursorily read the bit I quote above, I somehow understood "they simply drop them overboard" :o   ;D

Jo498

Quote from: ritter on January 20, 2023, 05:35:21 AMWhen I first, cursorily read the bit I quote above, I somehow understood "they simply drop them overboard" :o   ;D
yohoho and a bottle of rum!
- Blaise Pascal

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Jo498 on January 20, 2023, 05:58:16 AMyohoho and a bottle of rum!

"Dear daughter, I confess that I am old;
Age is unnecessary." - King Lear

Still, this is so tempting (and hella-expensive):
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/ultimate-world-cruise/
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/ultimate-world-cruise/itinerary/

Jo498

It's less expensive than I thought, if the big lump ($15-18k) covers almost everything.

But I am not old enough (and too poor) for that. Additionally, I have had some bad experiences during the few occasions I've been on ships. I have loved ships, sailing, nautica since I read Pippi Longstocking at 6 and Treasure Island at 8 (and I also liked some books taking place on large modern cruise ships). As a teenager, I enjoyed sailing in small boats (like 470) on lakes but when I went on a 4-5 day cruise in the Mediterranean on a ca. 10-12m sailboat in my 20s I got seasick so badly, that I never tried again. I have been on large ferries for up to a day and it was o.k. but this was probably lucky weather, I wouldn't risk a cruise in fear of being unwell a considerable proportion of the time.
- Blaise Pascal

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Jo498 on January 20, 2023, 06:59:50 AMIt's less expensive than I thought, if the big lump ($15-18k) covers almost everything.

But I am not old enough (and too poor) for that. Additionally, I have had some bad experiences with the few occasions I've been on ships. I have loved ships, sailing, nautica since I read Pippi Longstocking at 6 and Treasure Island at 8 (and I also liked some books taking place on large modern cruise ships). As a teenager, I enjoyed sailing in small boats (like 470) on lakes but when I went on a 4-5 day cruise in the Mediterrean on a ca. 10-12m sailboat in my 20s I got seasick so badly, that I never tried again. (I have been on large ferries for up to a day and it was o.k. but this was probably lucky weather, I wouldn't risk a cruise in fear of being unwell a considerable proportion of the time.)

More like $60K and up for the whole 9-month affair, though you can also book individual legs for shorter durations/less expense.

I would be concerned about getting my necessary prescriptions, getting emergency care if needed, the possibility of border closings for certain countries. And hidden charges like land excursions, meals, tips, taxes, single supplement, insurance (if taken)m etc. I did not experience seasickness on the one cruise I booked, but who knows with 9 months? But these are huge ships rather than your 10-12m sailboat.