If You Change Your Username...

Started by Florestan, February 06, 2023, 06:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 07, 2023, 12:28:13 PMWell, I think the rule is that if you expect courtesy and consideration from others you should expect to give courtesy consideration to others.

What I think is that the fuss about this topic is frankly exaggerated, excessive and, eventually, pointless. The fact that somebody changes his/her username and avatar mustn't be taken as seriously or personal as someone wants to show.

I won't reply about this silly topic anymore. I prefer to talk and share about music, that is the paramount reason I am here.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Spotted Horses

Those of you who are not concerned about how you actions effect others don't have to read this, but one pet peeve of mine is people who refer to other posters by their given names, rather than their site usernames, and often I have no idea who they are talking about.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 14, 2023, 09:16:14 PMThose of you who are not concerned about how you actions effect others don't have to read this, but one pet peeve of mine is people who refer to other posters by their given names, rather than their site usernames, and often I have no idea who they are talking about.

That also defeats the purpose of using handles in the first place!  Even if I know their name I usually try to use their handle to preserve anonymity/privacy.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on February 15, 2023, 06:11:26 AMThat also defeats the purpose of using handles in the first place!  Even if I know their name I usually try to use their handle to preserve anonymity/privacy.

Yes, if someone has revealed their real name to me by PM or another channel (Facebook, etc) then I don't feel I am justified in revealing that on the open forum. Maybe I'm hypersensitive, but another issue is that if people have become chummy via PM or other channels and address each other by their given names on the forum it gives me the impression that people not privy to these names are not included in the conversation (speaking strictly for myself).

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 15, 2023, 08:05:57 AMYes, if someone has revealed their real name to me by PM or another channel (Facebook, etc) then I don't feel I am justified in revealing that on the open forum. Maybe I'm hypersensitive, but another issue is that if people have become chummy via PM or other channels and address each other by their given names on the forum it gives me the impression that people not privy to these names are not included in the conversation (speaking strictly for myself).
That's a good point Arthur ( ;D ) which I'm guilty of myself. I'll try to be more aware of it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

prémont

I share my first name with ~ 30.000 countrymen so it doesn't matter if I become known by that, and I haven't objected if I have been called this by some GMG-ers. But other GMG-ers may have first names which are relatively rare, so they prefer to keep it to themself or at least only use it in PMs. And if I only know a GMG-er's name from a PM I don't use it in the forum. 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Florestan

As most of you know already, my first name is Andrei, which I share with about 500.000 Romanians so privacy is not an issue. Feel free to use it if you wish, I don't mind at all.

There are a few other GMGers whose real first names have become public long time ago but I can't remember any of them objecting to being called as such.

Quote from: premont on February 16, 2023, 02:59:17 PMif I only know a GMG-er's name from a PM I don't use it in the forum. 

+ 1.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

I have no problem with using first names if it's clear (by quote or direct reference) who is referred to. But I think it facilitates communication to stick with the forum pseudonyms, at least in general.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

I'll be honest...I wasn't creative enough to think of a nickname.  ;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on February 17, 2023, 04:34:59 AMI'll be honest...I wasn't creative enough to think of a nickname.  ;D

Wait.... you chose your name after a famous/infamous English composer, right?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jo498 on February 17, 2023, 12:58:29 AMI have no problem with using first names if it's clear (by quote or direct reference) who is referred to. But I think it facilitates communication to stick with the forum pseudonyms, at least in general.
I see the point, as well as the concerns of @Spotted Horses. Of course this facility of invoking the username is new to this spiffy updated software.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on February 17, 2023, 04:34:59 AMI'll be honest...I wasn't creative enough to think of a nickname.  ;D
Seeing your av (though not as a reflection upon you) I might almost suggest: Daffy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Wanderer

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 14, 2023, 09:16:14 PMThose of you who are not concerned about how you actions effect others don't have to read this, but one pet peeve of mine is people who refer to other posters by their given names, rather than their site usernames, and often I have no idea who they are talking about.

And speaking of calling people names, something I (and many others I've asked over the years) have always found distasteful and rather inappropriate is the American tendency to use diminutive nicknames for composers and performers: Shosty, Lenny, Herbie and the like.

Wanderer

And truth be told, most of the good ones are taken. Except Batman. Or maybe... Duckman? 😎👍

Florestan

Quote from: Wanderer on February 17, 2023, 08:21:50 AMthe American tendency to use diminutive nicknames for composers and performers: Shosty, Lenny, Herbie and the like.

Not to mention that abomination to end all abominations: Joe Green;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Wanderer on February 17, 2023, 08:21:50 AMShosty, Lenny, Herbie and the like.
I don't condone Shosty. Not at all. But the fact is, Bernstein was known to associates as Lenny. In fact, the first I heard it used, was from my clarinet teacher, who met him once.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on February 17, 2023, 09:55:30 AMI don't condone Shosty. Not at all. But the fact is, Bernstein was known to associates as Lenny. In fact, the first I heard it used, was from my clarinet teacher, who met him once.

Isn't Lenny a legit diminutive for Leonard?

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA