If You Change Your Username...

Started by Florestan, February 06, 2023, 06:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Florestan on February 17, 2023, 10:00:26 AMIsn't Lenny a legit diminutive for Leonard?

I would not make a federal case out of it, but I don't think it is correct usage to refer to a person you don't know by a diminutive, which implies mutual familiarity. Of course sometimes people substitute a dilutive for their given name in the public forum. For instance, the 39th president of the U.S. is reasonably referred to as Jimmy Carter, but not simply Jimmy (except by Billy).
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 17, 2023, 10:32:12 AMI don't think it is correct usage to refer to a person you don't know by a diminutive, which implies mutual familiarity.
This is but reasonable.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on February 17, 2023, 10:00:26 AMIsn't Lenny a legit diminutive for Leonard?

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 17, 2023, 10:32:12 AMI would not make a federal case out of it, but I don't think it is correct usage to refer to a person you don't know by a diminutive, which implies mutual familiarity. Of course sometimes people substitute a dilutive for their given name in the public forum. For instance, the 39th president of the U.S. is reasonably referred to as Jimmy Carter, but not simply Jimmy (except by Billy).
Also, I have the impression that not everyone is careful to say Joseph Biden.
Here's a kind of "trial balloon, if you like: in the review I've just submitted, I refer to Bernstein both as Leonard  Bernstein and Lenny. Not that it would be a "ruling," just a data point, I shall be interested to see if the editor switches the latter to Leonard, or lets it stand as acceptably conversational.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Karl Tirebiter Henning on February 17, 2023, 10:54:33 AMAlso, I have the impression that not everyone is careful to say Joseph Biden.
Here's a kind of "trial balloon, if you like: in the review I've just submitted, I refer to Bernstein both as Leonard  Bernstein and Lenny. Not that it would be a "ruling," just a data point, I shall be interested to see if the editor switches the latter to Leonard, or lets it stand as acceptably conversational.

If I were the editor I'd change it, because I've never seen "Lenny Bernstein" on a concert program or CD cover, so he didn't authorize it.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 17, 2023, 11:08:44 AMIf I were the editor I'd change it, because I've never seen "Lenny Bernstein" on a concert program or CD cover, so he didn't authorize it.
I would, too. I meant simply Lenny, not Lenny B. And, to be sure, my teacher did not address him as "Lenny."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA