Schubert's Octet D803

Started by Brahmsian, February 14, 2023, 07:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Edding Quartet/Northerlight - Phi label

I've sampled several recordings, and this one really speaks to me.  Lovely brisk performance. 57:35

Other really fine performances I sampled:

Isabelle Faust and others on Harmonia Mundi label - 60:55
Anima Eterna on Alpha label - 57:24
Mixed musicians on Alpha label (Desmons, Guerrier, Hardy, etc.) 58:04

Brian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 14, 2023, 07:20:41 AMMixed musicians on Alpha label (Desmons, Guerrier, Hardy, etc.) 58:04
Is this the one paired with a piece by Raphael Merlin?

I've enjoyed basically every recording of the Octet I've heard, but don't know the work super well, and also it seems so genial and wonderful that I don't know if bad recordings are possible. Maybe they are  ;D

In terms of judging on sound clips, I always check the beginning of the scherzo (third movement), to see if there is lively rhythmic energy and a nice balance among the woodwind players.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on February 14, 2023, 07:29:42 AMIs this the one paired with a piece by Raphael Merlin?

I've enjoyed basically every recording of the Octet I've heard, but don't know the work super well, and also it seems so genial and wonderful that I don't know if bad recordings are possible. Maybe they are  ;D

In terms of judging on sound clips, I always check the beginning of the scherzo (third movement), to see if there is lively rhythmic energy and a nice balance among the woodwind players.

Yes, it includes the Merlin piece. I was very close to choosing that one! 😁

All those I sampled were very lovely and are all on the lively side, to be sure!

Florestan

The Octet is amongst my favorite pieces of chamber music by Schubert, alongside the Arpeggione Sonata, the Trout Quintet, the Rosamunde String Quartet and the Violin Sonata D 574.

Quote from: Brian on February 14, 2023, 07:29:42 AM've enjoyed basically every recording of the Octet I've heard,

+ 1 hands down.

Quoteit seems so genial and wonderful that I don't know if bad recordings are possible. Maybe they are  ;D

If there are, I've never listened to one.

Two of my (many) favorites are:

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

DavidW

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 14, 2023, 07:20:41 AM

Edding Quartet/Northerlight - Phi label

I clicked on the link ready to recommend this as my favorite recording... to find it done on the first post! :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on February 14, 2023, 11:10:15 AMI clicked on the link ready to recommend this as my favorite recording... to find it done on the first post! :)

Yes David. I had shivers listening to the samples at Presto Music.

*clicked add to cart*

Holden

A piece I've never heard yet I love so much of Schubert's chamber music. The Edding/Northernlight is playing now.
Cheers

Holden

Brahmsian

Quote from: Holden on February 14, 2023, 10:27:47 PMA piece I've never heard yet I love so much of Schubert's chamber music. The Edding/Northernlight is playing now.

It's a piece that has grown on me over the years and has become a top five favourite of mine by Schubert.

It's a long piece and I feel a great performance needs to have a good lively pace, otherwise it can become a bit of a hot toddy before bed time.

Jo498

It's probably the best piece of its kind (larger mixed string/wind ensemble) in the literature and I like it but I still find it a bit lengthy. It's a feature and hard to avoid with two slowish movement and the overall large scale. I have not heard any of these recent ones mentioned so far. My favorite used to be Archibudelli/Mozzafiato on Sony Vivarte as I find that the old woodwinds bring a special coloring to the piece.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal