Help finding a piece of equipment for a friend

Started by Pohjolas Daughter, February 20, 2023, 09:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Hello all!

A friend of mine who has a nice stereo system is looking for a good Blu-ray/DVD/*SACD player for approximately a max of $300 USD.

*One that will play the real SACD layer--not just the red book one if a hybrid.

Any suggestions?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

The Sony UBP-X700/M meets those criteria, though the outputs are HDMI or coax only: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158X700M/Sony-UBP-X700-M.html?tp=171
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on February 20, 2023, 09:57:12 AM

The Sony UBP-X700/M meets those criteria, though the outputs are HDMI or coax only: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158X700M/Sony-UBP-X700-M.html?tp=171
I believe that he had looked at a Sony UBP-X800M2 (also at Crutchfield), but mentioned that there wasn't any RCA audio-out on it.  Would he need to use a DAC to connect it to his stereo?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 20, 2023, 10:08:08 AMWould he need to use a DAC to connect it to his stereo?

Yes.  There are not many products that meet the price point with analog outs.  Going with used gear would expand the possibilities.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on February 20, 2023, 10:10:46 AMYes.  There are not many products that meet the price point with analog outs.  Going with used gear would expand the possibilities.
That's what I thought...and good suggestion re used.  He did tell me that he had found one but wasn't interested in spending $1,300 on it.

Thanks for your suggestions!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

drogulus

Sony - BDP-S6700 Streaming 4K Upscaling Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player

No 4K, no analog outs, but it's $119.99 at Best Buy. Sadly you can't rip SACDs on this one.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Holden

How about an HDMI to RCA cable - there are plenty out there.
Cheers

Holden

drogulus

If you are willing to go used there are good options.

Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray Disc Player NO REMOTE

It's $289.77 Remotes are easy to find.

This is what I'd get.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on February 20, 2023, 08:20:59 PMSony - BDP-S6700 Streaming 4K Upscaling Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Player

No 4K, no analog outs, but it's $119.99 at Best Buy. Sadly you can't rip SACDs on this one.
Thank you for the suggestion.  I'll pass it along to him.  By the way, for what it's worth, he's not interested in ripping SACDs.  He wants one mostly for listening to music and also to watch the occasional blu-ray disc that comes in boxed music sets.  I suspect though that he'll then be wanting to upgrade his t.v.  ;)

Quote from: Holden on February 20, 2023, 11:35:09 PMHow about an HDMI to RCA cable - there are plenty out there.
I'll ask him whether or not he's looked at that option.  I suspect that in terms of sound quality (looking at Crutchfield's site) that in terms of the modal that he's been looking at (Sony UBP-X800M2) that they suggest using the coaxial output directly connected to a standalone DAC (which he would then hook up to his stereo system).  That would also entail then finding a decent quality DAC (and more moolah).

It has also occurred to me to ask him how/where he's planning on watching any Blu-ray discs as his best stereo setup is in his living room and his t.v. is in the room next to it.  Would be a pain to change the setup just to watch a disc.  Don't believe that his t.v. is Bluetooth enabled...maybe on his computer?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: drogulus on February 21, 2023, 06:59:04 AMIf you are willing to go used there are good options.

Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray Disc Player NO REMOTE

It's $289.77 Remotes are easy to find.

This is what I'd get.
Thanks!  I remember reading that Oppo used to make good blu-ray players (no longer making them from what I understand?).  If in need of repair, I wonder how hard it would be to get any necessary parts?

I'll add it onto my list of recs for him...thanks!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 21, 2023, 07:03:53 AMI remember reading that Oppo used to make good blu-ray players (no longer making them from what I understand?).  If in need of repair, I wonder how hard it would be to get any necessary parts?

Oppo made some of the best bang for the buck universal players before exiting to focus on home market (China) cell phones.  Lexicon infamously dropped one of Oppo's units directly into a fancy case and sold it at a ~$3000 markup and then audiophiles approved of the sound.  I use Oppos exclusively as transports/digital hubs.  The newer the model, the better, since they have more processing power and they operate more quickly.  I have not had to look into repairs.  (The oldest unit I own is about fifteen years old, and it's still chugging along, so they are well-made and the transports are robust.)  The transport is the component most likely to fail, and I do not know if they are still manufactured or otherwise available, or if other Oppos can readily be cannibalized for parts.  When my units start dying, I will replace them with current production devices from other manufacturers. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on February 21, 2023, 07:44:00 AMOppo made some of the best bang for the buck universal players before exiting to focus on home market (China) cell phones.  Lexicon infamously dropped one of Oppo's units directly into a fancy case and sold it at a ~$3000 markup and then audiophiles approved of the sound.  I use Oppos exclusively as transports/digital hubs.  The newer the model, the better, since they have more processing power and they operate more quickly.  I have not had to look into repairs.  (The oldest unit I own is about fifteen years old, and it's still chugging along, so they are well-made and the transports are robust.)  The transport is the component most likely to fail, and I do not know if they are still manufactured or otherwise available, or if other Oppos can readily be cannibalized for parts.  When my units start dying, I will replace them with current production devices from other manufacturers. 
Thanks for the comments/review!  :) I (just now) read about the Oppo/Lexicon "stunt".  Folks can read about it here:  https://www.stereophile.com/content/what-lexicon-vs-oppo-1  There are also some interesting comments/info from John Atkinson (editor of Stereophile).

I'll try and look into the transport issue.  I might also call up the guy who helped me come up with and set up my own system to see if he knows and also if they have any used players for sale themselves.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

One thing that I'm wondering about--and I'll have to ask him whether or not he cares--if purchasing an older model, does he care about whether or not it could also be capable of using various apps (like streaming Netflix for example or using music streaming services)?

I would imagine that with ones that came with firmware, that there would be limits as to how far one could upgrade it to make it compatible with t.v. and/or computers.

More questions to pester him with....  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Todd on February 21, 2023, 07:44:00 AMOppo made some of the best bang for the buck universal players before exiting to focus on home market (China) cell phones. 

I remember owning the Oppo 981-H.  That dvd player could play region free, and convert any format on the fly.  I bought some tv series from the UK that had not made it to the states at the time and watched them on my tv.

I owned an Oppo blu-ray player and later a 4k player.  When the 4k player stopped working, Oppo had stopped making them and I replaced it with a Panasonic.

I think I remember that at the time I owned the 981, the 980 was considered the audio player at the time.  Excellent playback, supported all the formats.  Later the more expensive blu-ray player took the honors.