To boldly go ... (Star Trek)

Started by Karl Henning, February 28, 2023, 02:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 19, 2023, 02:19:11 PMPicard S:3 really is far better. It functionally ignores the odd twist at the end of S:1, and has no connection with S:2, either. Not suggesting it is perfect, but it is better.

So for someone who hasn't seen S1 or S2, we can just start at S3?  Also, I have no idea how to watch the show.  You have to purchase Paramount +?

foxandpeng

Quote from: relm1 on March 19, 2023, 04:40:59 PMSo for someone who hasn't seen S1 or S2, we can just start at S3?  Also, I have no idea how to watch the show.  You have to purchase Paramount +?

You don't need any prior knowledge as the series stands alone, but you would, indeed, need access to Paramount+
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

DavidW

Quote from: relm1 on March 19, 2023, 04:40:59 PMSo for someone who hasn't seen S1 or S2, we can just start at S3?  Also, I have no idea how to watch the show.  You have to purchase Paramount +?

As someone who quit S1 and didn't watch S2... yes.  But you need to have seen TNG (which you have), and it would help if you had seen DS9.

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on March 10, 2023, 05:58:38 PMRoddenberry wanted to touch on sensitive themes that were taboo in American television during the 1960's, and yet were vital and relevant within the daily functioning of American society.
Related to this:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

LKB

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 23, 2023, 08:17:23 AMRelated to this:

Thanks Karl, once I'm home I'll check that out.

I've just been reading a review of the first season of Strange New Worlds on blu-ray...

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Trek-Strange-New-Worlds-Season-One-Blu-ray/320075/#Review

As ML is a confirmed Trekker, this heightens my interest in the new series. And l already have Paramount+, so logic dictates probable interception of the first episode sometime this evening.  8)  
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Karl Henning

Quote from: LKB on March 23, 2023, 08:37:23 AMThanks Karl, once I'm home I'll check that out.

I've just been reading a review of the first season of Strange New Worlds on blu-ray...

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Trek-Strange-New-Worlds-Season-One-Blu-ray/320075/#Review

As ML is a confirmed Trekker, this heightens my interest in the new series. And l already have Paramount+, so logic dictates probable interception of the first episode sometime this evening.  8) 
Enjoy x 2
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

So l sat down last night, pulled up Paramount+, located Strange New Worlds and started the first episode.

This morning, l finished watching the final episode.

I had never " binge-watched " anything before... not Trek, nor anything else. ( l might have done so with The Big Bang Theory once l discovered it, but never made the time to do so. )

While annoying instances of dumbed- down writing cropped up on occasion, it's easily the most enjoyable Trek I've seen since the series finale of TNG in 1994, and it's nice to be able to look forward to season two.  8)

relm1

Quote from: LKB on March 24, 2023, 01:04:15 PMSo l sat down last night, pulled up Paramount+, located Strange New Worlds and started the first episode.

This morning, l finished watching the final episode.

I had never " binge-watched " anything before... not Trek, nor anything else. ( l might have done so with The Big Bang Theory once l discovered it, but never made the time to do so. )

While annoying instances of dumbed- down writing cropped up on occasion, it's easily the most enjoyable Trek I've seen since the series finale of TNG in 1994, and it's nice to be able to look forward to season two.  8)

Is it better than Picard S3? 

San Antone

Last night wife and I watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979).  Underwhelmed; but it was fun to see the same cast more than a decade later.

relm1

Quote from: San Antone on March 25, 2023, 06:42:57 AMLast night wife and I watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979).  Underwhelmed; but it was fun to see the same cast more than a decade later.

I was very, very young like 5 years old when that came out and it blew my mind.  Surely you felt it better than just underwhelming.  I guess I wasn't expecting an action movie but something cerebral and it certainly delivered on that plus AI with robots attaining consciousness.  That was a big reveal for me.

San Antone

Quote from: relm1 on March 25, 2023, 04:51:31 PMI was very, very young like 5 years old when that came out and it blew my mind.  Surely you felt it better than just underwhelming.  I guess I wasn't expecting an action movie but something cerebral and it certainly delivered on that plus AI with robots attaining consciousness.  That was a big reveal for me.

We thought it took too long to get the story going, and actually disliked the premise, proto trans-humanism - and found the ending too pat, and not an "ending" but just the end of the movie.

relm1

Quote from: San Antone on March 25, 2023, 06:11:27 PMWe thought it took too long to get the story going, and actually disliked the premise, proto trans-humanism - and found the ending too pat, and not an "ending" but just the end of the movie.

That I can understand in retrospect.  It's almost entirely a mood painting.  It clearly was taking 2001 as its role model rather than Star Wars though I think the success of Star Wars and Close Encounters is what showed Paramount they could cash in on the genre with their property so converting what was initially a rebooted tv episode into a big budget theatrical release and some of that came through in the end. 

LKB

Quote from: relm1 on March 25, 2023, 06:38:40 AMIs it better than Picard S3? 

I wouldn't know. I haven't watched Picard since the first- season finale. I have been tempted, since Michael Dorn is adding Worf to the mix, so it's possible I'll have an answer at some point.

Karl Henning

Quote from: San Antone on March 25, 2023, 06:11:27 PM... and found the ending too pat, and not an "ending" but just the end of the movie.
I can see that. Offhand, I forget how they wrapped up "The Changeling" from TOS, which served as the template. I agree that the strengths of ST:TMP are seeing the well-loved cast back in action, and Doug Trumbull & al.'s SFX (esp. in the fresh Director's Cut. Probably the most satisfying thing about the end was a non-annihilation disposition of the non-Kirk Captain, though arguably that is the source of the pat ending's patness.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

LKB

I've probably already posted regarding my initial exposure to ST:TMP, so I'll just toss in some trivia...

In the opening scene, the Klingon commander is none other than Mark Lenard, the only actor to have portrayed characters belonging to all of the Trek universe's principal alien species ( Romulan, Vulcan and Klingon ).

And in the same scene, the spoken and subtitled Klingon was invented by none other than James Doohan, " Scotty " from TOS.

LLAP.  8)

San Antone

I bought the blu-ray ten movie collection of the Star Trek movies and will watch them all.  I will be interested in my response, since as a Star Trek fan, if they will "hold up" or if I will be similarly underwhelmed. 

My wife refuses to watch The Wrath of Khan - finding Ricardo Montelban, as Khan, and the eel implants not what she wishes to see again. 

I guess I will be solo for that one.

Karl Henning

Quote from: San Antone on March 26, 2023, 09:43:12 AMI bought the blu-ray ten movie collection of the Star Trek movies and will watch them all.  I will be interested in my response, since as a Star Trek fan, if they will "hold up" or if I will be similarly underwhelmed. 

My wife refuses to watch The Wrath of Khan - finding Ricardo Montelban, as Khan, and the eel implants not what she wishes to see again. 

The wife of my bosom would not enjoy that scene with the helmets, either, at all, at all.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: San Antone on March 26, 2023, 09:43:12 AMI bought the blu-ray ten movie collection of the Star Trek movies and will watch them all.  I will be interested in my response, since as a Star Trek fan, if they will "hold up" or if I will be similarly underwhelmed. 

I think Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country hold up.  But these movies in general didn't age well.  In particular, the next gen movies are truly dreadful.

LKB

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 26, 2023, 09:45:49 AMThe wife of my bosom would not enjoy that scene with the helmets, either, at all, at all.

In other words, both wives might say, " They task me... "  ;D

LKB

Quote from: DavidW on March 26, 2023, 11:09:40 AMI think Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country hold up.  But these movies in general didn't age well.  In particular, the next gen movies are truly dreadful.

I can enjoy 1, 2 and 4 with the original cast. I'll occasionally pull up the opening of Insurrection on YouTube just to enjoy Jerry Goldsmith's serenely beautiful score. ( I'm a sucker for any lovely oboe solo, and that one is just the sort l excelled at when l was playing. )