Physical cds on demand

Started by Roy Bland, March 01, 2023, 02:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

PD, I've had the same experience.  I used to have a Marantz player that would cry over the smallest scratch but switch to literally anything else and the cd would play fine.

Madiel

My old CD player refused to cope with certain discs that had a slick upper surface (the printed part, which on classical CDs tends to be fairly generic black writing on a silver surface but not always, and with pop can vary a lot more).

So I am very familiar with the fact that different players have different tolerances.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on April 14, 2023, 12:23:38 PMPD, I've had the same experience.  I used to have a Marantz player that would cry over the smallest scratch but switch to literally anything else and the cd would play fine.
Quote from: Madiel on April 14, 2023, 01:29:27 PMMy old CD player refused to cope with certain discs that had a slick upper surface (the printed part, which on classical CDs tends to be fairly generic black writing on a silver surface but not always, and with pop can vary a lot more).

So I am very familiar with the fact that different players have different tolerances.
So, it goes to show [yet again] that nothing's perfect in life....

PD 
Pohjolas Daughter

Roy Bland

Madiel

Would you care to expand rather then simply posting a link to an article that isn't in English?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

I cannot be bothered attempting to translate that on my mobile phone.

ritter

But on a laptop or tablet it's really easy...

Madiel

Quote from: ritter on May 11, 2024, 12:19:45 PMBut on a laptop or tablet it's really easy...

When I get back to within reach of my laptop in another 10 weeks I'll be sure to remember that.

ritter

Quote from: Madiel on May 11, 2024, 01:56:10 PMWhen I get back to within reach of my laptop in another 10 weeks I'll be sure to remember that.
Great. And I'm confident that webpage will still be available in 10 weeks, so it is all good.

Madiel

I see that detecting sarcasm is not your strong point. Yes, the webpage will still be there. This conversation, however, will have stagnated. If you can call someone posting an untranslated link a "conversation", once upon a time it was called a breach of forum etiquette.

ritter

"Para ti la perra gorda"... That should be easy to translate, even on a phone. But in case it is not, it roughly means "keep the change".

Enjoy your holiday.

DavidW

I think it started before streaming.  Once it became easy and cheap to order cds online, how many of us end up hoarding unopened cds?  And then digital downloads were even cheaper and more convenient.  Streaming is certainly the culmination of that trend.  But in all that time it seems like more and more recordings are released.  Combine all that and yes recorded music has incredibly deflated in price and perceived value. 

Most of my students walk around with earbuds perpetually in their ears.  Music has become a constant background soundtrack.  Very different from the special experience you get from a live concert.

Madiel

Thanks. It was not only the lack of a translation that was annoying but the lack of any actual content. I've now got more commentary out of people about translations than discussion about CDs. DavidW being the first to actually say something relevant to the topic of the thread.

Florestan

Quote from: Roy Bland on May 11, 2024, 05:17:08 PMI note that English-speaking tourists in Italy seem to be able  decipher our arduous language and in Italian forums there is no demand for translation from English while terms derived from this language  abound )furthermore, this makes the pages heavier and more difficult to load

You seem to imply that being able to "decipher" Italian tourist signs, greetings and food/beverage names is the same as being able to read a whole article in Italian. This might be true for people whose native language is a Romance one, like me, for instance; I never studied Italian yet I understand it alright, both written and spoken. For native speakers of non-Romance languages, though, this implication is less obvious and I'm not sure that a native English speaker who has not studied Italian could make much of that article.

In another thread you posted a link to an article in Romanian. As an Italian, you may have understood it partially or wholly, but in your opinion, how many other GMGers beside me have read it? This is an international forum. For better or worse, the present-day lingua franca is English. Linking to articles or pages written in other languages without providing an English summary or an English translation of at least the most important points is inappropriate because in so doing you assume either that everyone can read that language or that everyone is sufficiently interested in the topic of the article as to take the trouble to translate it themselves. Both assumptions are false.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy