How big is your cull pile currently?

Started by Brahmsian, March 05, 2023, 07:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many discs/lps/etc. are in your cull pile?

0-10
6 (50%)
11-50
2 (16.7%)
51-100
0 (0%)
101-200
2 (16.7%)
201-500
1 (8.3%)
501-1000
0 (0%)
1001-2000
0 (0%)
2000+
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Jo498

Quote from: Madiel on March 17, 2023, 03:43:47 AMI have a handful of discs, which includes at least one or two classical off the top of my head, in a small cardboard box.

I think most of them have been in the box for around 15 years, and the box has moved house, and I've still not actually disposed of them.
Before my last move almost 10 years ago I had the good fortune to sell around 200 discs or more to a person who was interested in them. He got a pretty good deal but I earned a bit and had to pack one box for shipping instead of moving. However, I was quite lucky as this was right before more people converted to streaming or other "nonphysical" (of course not, it's just different media or outsourced ones) ways.

QuoteI also have some recordings which are duplicated thanks to box sets, but where I'm a bit annoyed that the box set liner notes don't have as much information. So the smaller release hasn't got marked for removal because I want to have the liner notes. Whether I've read the liner notes any time recently is a separate question best not contemplated.
I remember that I kept a few singles discs for similar reasons (admittedly it was often the cover...) but eventually got rid of them.

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on March 17, 2023, 04:19:28 AMBefore my last move almost 10 years ago I had the good fortune to sell around 200 discs or more to a person who was interested in them. He got a pretty good deal but I earned a bit and had to pack one box for shipping instead of moving. However, I was quite lucky as this was right before more people converted to streaming or other "nonphysical" (of course not, it's just different media or outsourced ones) ways.

I have a vague notion I'll put them on eBay one day, just to find a home for them. eBay still seems alive and well. At least, I'm still buying things on there...

The local alternative is donation to the Lifeline book fair, but these days I'd have to double check that they hadn't given up on CDs. They might have.

Edit: CDs are still accepted. But not cassettes, or VHS tapes!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brahmsian

Quote from: Madiel on March 17, 2023, 03:55:31 AMBut the more pertinent point for this thread is that I wouldn't consider that to be culling your collection.

Yes, although I didn't specify the rules of the thread (there are none anyway) :) , I was more thinking along the lines of cull = you didn't like it or want it.

DavidW

Wait, who voted 2000+??  Was that you Harry?