Three Composers for Your Dinner

Started by Florestan, March 07, 2023, 12:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

If you could invite three composers to your dinner, who would they be?

My list:

Mozart
Meyerbeer
Rossini

Because I want my dinner to be full of joie de vivre, attended by people who are balanced, light-hearted, funny bon vivants,  don't shy away from good food and good drink, are always up for a bon mot and do not think about their music as being a substitute for religion or philosophy. And if Meyerbeer was in generous mood enough, he might even pay the whole stuff.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Clarice Assad, Isobel Waller-Bridge, and Freya Waley-Cohen.  The conversation would almost certainly prove most enjoyable.  The latter two could bring their more famous siblings along.  (The last could also bring her father, schedule permitting.) 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

LKB

Anton Bruckner, in order to find out what he really wanted.

Sergei Prokofiev, in order to question him on various subjects relating to his ballets.

Franz Joseph Haydn, in order to overhear him talking shop with Prokofiev.

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Szykneij

Alan Hovhannes - I enjoy his music and he lived nearby my home, so I he wouldn't have any trouble finding the place.

Robert Stoltz - He shared my interest in stamp collecting and I would find a composer/philatelist an interesting guest to converse with.

Frédéric Chopin - I don't think I've had a really good, authentic Polish meal since my father passed away.

If Peter Warlock crashes the party as an uninvited guest, he might provide some unique after-dinner excitement, but I'd keep him away from the stove.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Karl Henning

Quote from: Szykneij on March 07, 2023, 03:22:44 PMAlan Hovhannes - I enjoy his music and he lived nearby my home, so I he wouldn't have any trouble finding the place.

Robert Stoltz - He shared my interest in stamp collecting and I would find a composer/philatelist an interesting guess to converse with.

Frédéric Chopin - I don't think I've had a really good, authentic Polish meal since my father passed away.

If Peter Warlock crashes the party as an uninvited guest, he might provide some unique after-dinner excitement, but I'd keep him away from the stove.
Nice to see you, Tony!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

vandermolen

VW

Sibelius (I'd need to get in a lot of alcohol)

Miaskovsky or Moeran
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Thank goodness you weren't asking us to resort to cannibalism...

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on March 08, 2023, 05:01:58 AMVW

Sibelius (I'd need to get in a lot of alcohol)

Miaskovsky or Moeran

If Moeran comes, you should double the quantity of alcohol.  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on March 08, 2023, 06:18:34 AMIf Moeran comes, you should double the quantity of alcohol.  ;D
Very true!  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

Quote from: Florestan on March 08, 2023, 06:18:34 AMIf Moeran comes, you should double the quantity of alcohol.  ;D

And don't forget to invite the Moeran biographer who was on GMG.

vandermolen

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 08, 2023, 11:24:52 AMAnd don't forget to invite the Moeran biographer who was on GMG.

Yes indeed 'Hot FX Man'

I think that VW would appreciate a nice plumb pudding!

vandermolen

I wonder how Malcolm Arnold, Malcolm Williamson and Allan Pettersson would get on.

Brahmsian

I haven't thought about the other two I would invite to dinner, but 100% I would invite Igor Stravinsky.

Just think he would be very interesting to listen to.

foxandpeng

Penderecki
Vasks
Tabakov

It would be fascinating to hear how their worldviews shape their music, and how that creates such individual beauty and creativity.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Brahmsian

Karl Henning

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 08, 2023, 06:02:51 AMThank goodness you weren't asking us to resort to cannibalism...
No, couldn't make much headway into even one, thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 08, 2023, 01:06:09 PMPenderecki
Vasks
Tabakov

It would be fascinating to hear how their worldviews shape their music, and how that creates such individual beauty and creativity.
It wouldn't surprise me if Christo of this forum has had dinner with Vasks ;D

Harry

Those would be.
Pjotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.
Richard Arnell.
Johann Sebastian Bach.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."