Beethoven is no Beethoven

Started by Herman, March 22, 2023, 07:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 22, 2023, 10:47:11 AMI would think anyone interested enough to read a biography of Beethoven would find this of interest.

Let's assume that the researchers are right and Beethoven's father was actually the son of Johann-Peter Schmerzling. How would this fact change your perspective on Beethoven's music?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Florestan on March 22, 2023, 11:03:03 AMLet's assume that the researchers are right and Beethoven's father was actually the son of Johann-Peter Schmerzling. How would this fact change your perspective on Beethoven's music?

You seem to have glossed over the gist of my comment.

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 22, 2023, 10:47:11 AMTheir findings are interesting to me, not so much because of the infidelity, but because of the information about Beethoven's life.

Analysis of Beethoven's DNA gives insight into Beethoven's state of health, final illness and lifestyle.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

San Antone

Quote from: premont on March 22, 2023, 08:24:24 AMNo need to panic, because this illegitimate grandfather may have been the decisive genetic reason for Ludvig van becoming the great composer he became.

I wonder if he had other offspring who were composers? Who knows there may more Beethovens out there.

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 22, 2023, 11:11:02 AMYou seem to have glossed over the gist of my comment.

Analysis of Beethoven's DNA gives insight into Beethoven's state of health, final illness and lifestyle.

Yes, I did miss that part, my bad. I'll give you his state of health, and especially the final illness, which is indeed of medical interest. His lifestyle, though, is already well documented by numerous contemporary witnesses. Sources agree on his being an alcoholic (and in those times when alcohol consumption was more common than today, he must have been a really heavy, heavy drinker) --- but this doesn't automatically mean he died of cirrhosis. I know heavy drinkers who get drunk on a daily basis whose liver is as strong as steel and people who drank only moderately and I've never seen drunk yet died of cirrhosis. In this respect you are right, if DNA analysis can settle the matter, I'm all for it. What I doubt is the certainty of the whole thing, which stands or falls with those tufts being really his.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 22, 2023, 11:11:18 AMI wonder if he had other offspring who were composers? Who knows there may more Beethovens out there.

Btw, what do we know about his sexual life? Is there incontrovertible evidence that he ever had intercourse? We can only speculate on this matter, as in all others.  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 22, 2023, 10:47:11 AMIt suggests Beethoven died of liver failure, rather than alcoholism

I missed that part, too. Well, alcoholism by itself is never a cause of death. Liver failure is --- and liver failure is often, though not always (see my post above), an effect of alcoholism.

Brian

Quote from: Florestan on March 22, 2023, 11:28:25 AMBtw, what do we know about his sexual life? Is there incontrovertible evidence that he ever had intercourse? We can only speculate on this matter, as in all others.  ;D
The original New York Times article said that we know very little about the subject. Hepatitis B can be contracted from sexual activity or from childbirth from the mother.

That area is, as you say, forever a mystery.

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on March 22, 2023, 12:02:00 PMThe original New York Times article said that we know very little about the subject. Hepatitis B can be contracted from sexual activity or from childbirth from the mother.

That area is, as you say, forever a mystery.

Actually, that would make for an interesting topic: The Sexual Life of Famous Composers. 

There are the documented, incontrovertible heterosexuals, such as Vivaldi, Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Rossini, Meyerbeer, Weber, Berlioz, Liszt, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Brahms, Mahler, Debussy, Richard Strauss etc.

There are the documented, incontrovertible homosexuals, such as Tchaikovsky, Barber, Britten, Menotti, Copland, Ned Rorem, Poulenc etc.

Then there are those whose sexual life is a matter of speculation: Corelli, Handel, Schubert, Chopin, Bellini, Ravel etc (although in this case I don't know who the etcs are).

And then there is... Beethoven: we don't even know whether he had any sexual life altogether. ;D

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on March 22, 2023, 12:21:16 PMActually, that would make for an interesting topic: The Sexual Life of Famous Composers.

It would make for lurid gossip. It would end up with hundreds of posts.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on March 22, 2023, 01:03:00 PMIt would make for lurid gossip. It would end up with hundreds of posts.

So did the Covid thread. So did the War in Ukraine thread. People have opinions about everything --- and they will defend them until they are blue in the face the thread is locked.  ;D

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on March 22, 2023, 01:10:34 PMSo did the Covid thread. So did the War in Ukraine thread. People have opinions about everything --- and they will defend them until they are blue in the face the thread is locked.  ;D

Start the thread, see what happens.  Other people's sex lives bore me, so I will read only occasionally.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya