Mozart's Cello Concerto, Suppé's Symphonies, &c.

Started by JoshLilly, April 16, 2007, 07:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshLilly

Cello Concerto in F, K206a, by Wolfgang Mozart in 1775. Where is it?! I remember seeing people post often that they wished Mozart wrote a cello concerto, but he actually did. The first 6 measures are still held at the Paris Bibl. Du Conservatoire, who supposedly had the whole thing as late as 1912. Nobody has found it since World War I. He also wrote more cello music, while in Donaueschingen in 1766 (?). They are even listed in the Köchel catalogue as "Solos for Cello, K33b".

It would seem Franz von Suppé wrote at least 2 symphonies, not speaking of concert or opera overtures. What's up with these? While the Mozart cello concerto may never be found, I'm not so sure about one or more of these symphonies. Maybe they're actually known somewhere, in some collection. Anybody know anything about these?

Litolff's Concerto Symphonique #1, didn't the manuscript burn up in the bombing of Leipzig? Did anyone make a copy of it that survives today? So far, apparently not... having a recording of #2 and #4, I regret this very much. Hyperion has released 2-5 on 2 discs now. #1 remains a goner.

Two Krommer symphonies have been written off as probably never to see the light of day again. He is known to have written 9, but we only get 7 today. I don't even think that all 7 of the survivors have been recorded, yet. Chandos has an exceptional recording of #2 and #4 (my favourite) in the Contemporaries of Mozart series.

So, where are the goodies? What else is missing that is sorely missed?

MishaK

What else is missing? Tons. Consider that only a few years ago Berlioz's lost Messe Solenelle was rediscovered in a church in Belgium. Several bits of the finale fo Bruckner's 9th have reappearaed and it is believed that there is more out there.

JoshLilly

Tons, it's a sad business. I was just hoping for a grocery list to drool over.
I'd say more Bruckner 9th would be a huge, huge deal.

MishaK

Quote from: JoshLilly on April 16, 2007, 08:32:08 AM
Tons, it's a sad business. I was just hoping for a grocery list to drool over.
I'd say more Bruckner 9th would be a huge, huge deal.

Do you have the Harnoncourt/VPO Bruckner 9? It includes performances of what exists (which is a lot) and a lecture by Harnoncourt about the structure of the finale, what was discovered, what may be missing and what Bruckner still needed to do to complete the work.

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Brian

Quote from: JoshLilly on April 16, 2007, 07:52:41 AM
It would seem Franz von Suppé wrote at least 2 symphonies, not speaking of concert or opera overtures. What's up with these? While the Mozart cello concerto may never be found, I'm not so sure about one or more of these symphonies. Maybe they're actually known somewhere, in some collection. Anybody know anything about these?
I know! I really want to hear them!

Nunc Dimittis

This symphony has been missing since before WWII. The circumstances surrounding its disappearance are unknown. I do not think it was ever performed.

He wrote Symphony No. 5 (subtitled A Paz, The Peace) in 1920.  It was the third work in a trilogy beginning with no. 3 (A Guerra, The War of 1919,) and continuing with the 4th (A Vitória, The Victory) of the same year.
"[Er] lernte Neues auf jedem Schritt seines Weges, denn die Welt war verwandelt, und sein Herz war bezaubert." - Hesse

Guido

Mendelsohnn's cello concerto was lost in transit to the intended soloist...

RE: Mozart. I very much doubt that the cello concerto was in their posession until 1912 - Why on earth did no-one perform it?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

JoshLilly

News!  Apparently, a Suppé's symphony score has been pulled out by a record label and will make it onto a CD sometime in the next couple of years. I'm looking forward to it!

And as to the Mozart Cello Concerto, they have the first 6 measures that they put into a catalogue in 1912 from the score. They noted as a Mozart autograph score, an original, and I think it wasn't performed because it may not have been 100% finished. Mozart did write one, or part of one, in 1775, possibly for Baron Dürnitz, and what they had in Paris - a Cello Concerto in Mozart's own handwriting - would almost certainly have to be it. Unfortunately, I don't know of any information on whether it was a complete work, or mostly complete, or partially complete... the catalogue information apparently doesn't say. It's been tagged as Köchel 206a.

71 dB

Nikolaus Bruhns' all chamber music is lost.  :'(
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"