What happened to the Avant Garde Project?

Started by ramdiscom, March 29, 2023, 07:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramdiscom

Anyone knows whatever happened to the brilliant Avant Garde Project, or its creator going by the pseudonym loudav?

After some research, I concluded that the original site avantgardeproject.conus.info seems to have vanished sometime between April 29 and June 1, 2017. At that time, however, the site still only contained the AGP installments up to AGP157, even though the last known installment AGP182 had been available for 6 years by then. A mirror site at dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/AvantGardeProject/ still exists, and seems to contain most of what was on the original, including the classic layout. Then there's a quite confusing AGP site at Internet Archive, which is a nightmare to browse, and also the site ubu.com/sound/agp/ which has a random selection of installments from AGP73 to AGP180.

The original series were announced on this forum by loudav in a series of posts between 2007 and 2011, concluding with AGP182, mentioned above. loudav seems to then have disappeared in September 2011.

So, I figured this was a good place to ask for possible info. This monumental project deserves a dedicated, complete website.

Cato

Greetings!

Have you checked the Internet Archive?

https://archive.org/details/iaagp

e.g.

Jacob Druckman is available with 6 downloads: 

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

brewski

Welcome, @ramdiscom, and thank you for reviving a most interesting topic.

And @Cato, thanks to you, I am now listening to some of İlhan Mimaroğlu's Preludes for Magnetic Tape (1966-67), which I heard as a teenager but not since! So interesting to hear early examples of electronic music—which really do sound "of their time"—and realize how far we have come in the meantime.

I forget about the Internet Archive, and the avalanche of things available there, so thanks for the "legwork" and the reminder!

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Cato

Quote from: brewski on March 30, 2023, 05:22:49 AMWelcome, @ramdiscom, and thank you for reviving a most interesting topic.

And @Cato, thanks to you, I am now listening to some of İlhan Mimaroğlu's Preludes for Magnetic Tape (1966-67), which I heard as a teenager but not since! So interesting to hear early examples of electronic music—which really do sound "of their time"—and realize how far we have come in the meantime.

I forget about the Internet Archive, and the avalanche of things available there, so thanks for the "legwork" and the reminder!

-Bruce

Yes: earlier incarnations of the opening page of the Good-Music-Guide could be found there, but nothing deeper.

e.g.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030205081828/http://www.good-music-guide.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)