Elgar's Birthplace

Started by Harry Collier, September 04, 2007, 02:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Collier

I hesitate to launch a little new thread on Elgar (after what happened to the old one). Just to say that last week I re-visited (third time) Elgar's birthplace and museum -- a favourite tour of mine with musically-inclined visitors.

To those who don't know it, it's well worth the detour. Set in a little village about 5 kms outside Worcester in Broadheath, it does fill in a lot of background on Elgar, his insecurity, his relatively humble origins, the way he had to struggle to make a living and gradually gain acceptance. A nice place, with the birthplace well preserved and the adjacent museum and gift shop very tastefully done. If you are in or near that part of England, it's a recommended visit.

DavidW

Did you take any pictures when you there?  If so, would you mind sharing them with us? :)

71 dB

Nice Harry Collier!

Personally I hate travelling but maybe someday I visit that place.  8)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on September 04, 2007, 04:19:56 AM
Nice Harry Collier!

Personally I hate travelling but maybe someday I visit that place.  8)

Yes I am also out of the travel mode, so these visits by other members to such places, and posting about it, is a easy way to access all the beauties of this world. :)

knight66

Harry, I am close to Worcester, but have never visited the Elgar house, I am even closer to Holst's house in Cheltenham. In fact I will be about four streets from it tomorrow, visiting my dentist.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

karlhenning

DavidW

Quote from: knight on September 04, 2007, 01:44:53 PM
Harry, I am close to Worcester, but have never visited the Elgar house, I am even closer to Holst's house in Cheltenham. In fact I will be about four streets from it tomorrow, visiting my dentist.

Mike

Is it safe? ;D

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: knight on September 04, 2007, 01:44:53 PM

Mike

Is there a connection?

knight66

No, no connection other than in my own fevered mind. Also, yes it was safe, no drilling without pain relief, in fact no drilling. Rather ANOTHER course of tablets, but sorry, I am right off topic.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

DavidW

Quote from: knight on September 05, 2007, 08:14:36 AM
No, no connection other than in my own fevered mind. Also, yes it was safe, no drilling without pain relief, in fact no drilling. Rather ANOTHER course of tablets, but sorry, I am right off topic.

Mike

I read an Inspector Morse novel once where he was given tablets for an ache, he was given penicllin actually, with specific instructions to only take two a day and no more.  So naturally he just takes them like candy, several over the course of a few hours. ;D  Hopefully you won't do the same. :D

Oh anyway what are the tablets for?

71 dB

Is Harry Collier the only one on this forum who has visited Elgar's Birthplace?

Apparently not many Elgarians have found their way on this forum...

karlhenning

I don't think there are any "Elgarians" apart from you, Poju.  And you don't like to travel, you've already advised us.

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on September 06, 2007, 04:19:44 AM
I don't think there are any "Elgarians" apart from you, Poju.  And you don't like to travel, you've already advised us.

Not so dear friend, I am a "Elgarian" in the true sense of the meaning, which is, all Orchestra and Chamber works, anything with soprano's excluded.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: knight on September 05, 2007, 08:14:36 AM

Mike

I was afraid it had been a hearing of The Apostles that occasioned the need for painkillers.

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry on September 06, 2007, 04:35:11 AM
Not so dear friend, I am a "Elgarian" in the true sense of the meaning, which is, all Orchestra and Chamber works, anything with soprano's excluded.

But that's the thing, Harry;  if you're excluding items, you ain't an "Elgarian"  ;)

71 dB

Quote from: karlhenning on September 06, 2007, 05:50:44 AM
But that's the thing, Harry;  if you're excluding items, you ain't an "Elgarian"  ;)

Harry is an instrumental Elgarian or non-soprano Elgarian.  ;D

I must be just mental Elgarian.  ;D

Harry Collier

Quote from: DavidW on September 04, 2007, 02:32:14 AM
Did you take any pictures when you there?  If so, would you mind sharing them with us? :)

I took lots of photos on a previous visit. But I can't find them on my hard disk, or on any backups. I'll carry on looking.

71 dB

Quote from: Harry Collier on September 06, 2007, 06:38:00 AM
I took lots of photos on a previous visit. But I can't find them on my hard disk, or on any backups. I'll carry on looking.

The whereabouts of your Elgar's Birthplace photos is an Enigma...

BachQ

Quote from: Harry Collier on September 06, 2007, 06:38:00 AM

Harry, meanwhile ....... I can always upload my vast collection of Elgar-related materials .......

Frankly, I've been searching for a proper receptacle for them .........

sound67

Boooooring. Give it a rest already.  ::)
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht