Astronomy

Started by Wanderer, August 01, 2008, 12:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krummholz

Quote from: LKB on December 09, 2023, 04:31:10 PMOn Dec. 12th, Betelgeuse will be back in the news as the asteroid Leona will briefly eclipse Orion's most famous star.

Those interested can view the event online here:

https://www.virtualtelescope.eu/webtv/

I hope I can remember, this sort of event is quite rare. The odds against such a prominent star being eclipsed again anytime soon are... well, you know.  ;)

Indeed, quite a rare event. No chance to see it here as it's been cloudy for over a week - at least until today.

relm1

Quote from: krummholz on December 14, 2023, 07:56:36 AMIndeed, quite a rare event. No chance to see it here as it's been cloudy for over a week - at least until today.

I don't think it was visible from the US.  It had a very narrow occultation path.

LKB

A small portion of Florida had a view.

I watched a recording of the event, Betelgeuse noticeably dimmed for several seconds, but was never fully eclipsed. So not quite as dramatic as the hype, but still interesting enough that l wish l could have had a view through the eyepiece.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

JBS

Quote from: LKB on December 15, 2023, 06:44:33 AMA small portion of Florida had a view.

I watched a recording of the event, Betelgeuse noticeably dimmed for several seconds, but was never fully eclipsed. So not quite as dramatic as the hype, but still interesting enough that l wish l could have had a view through the eyepiece.

And not even that. For last couple of days there's been a stationary front over the southern part of the state, much wind, some rain, almost completely overcast (and forecast to stay this way until a cold front comes through sometime Sunday/Monday).
Almost no chance of seeing the sky.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

krummholz

Quote from: LKB on December 15, 2023, 06:44:33 AMA small portion of Florida had a view.

Not surprising, given that Betelgeuse and Leona have about the same angular size (45 millarcseconds), and Leona is elongated, so it's very possible that it didn't completely cover the disc of the star anyway.