The U.S.A. Exploration Thread

Started by Papy Oli, April 07, 2023, 05:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Following some recent maiden listening to Hanson, Hohvaness and Gottschalk, I thought I'd start an exploration thread for USA composers, along the same lines as my French one in 2020, hopefully with some similar interest and recommendations.

(Edit) As last time, I have used as a basis the composers index list from @schnittkease, added the works I currently have in my collection, which I plan to (re)discover (then adding any composers and works suggested by fellow members).

As the full USA list is substantial, I have limited the initial composers to A & B as follows. Hopefully this is broad enough for many to contribute without being too all over the shop.  If that's ok, I'll reserve a few posts for subsequent alphabetical sections.

As previously, please feel free to post any recommendations of works (any genres), your relevant listening/impressions or favourite recordings within the defined partial list. I'll add any recommended works to the list as and when.

Edit: Underlined works are the ones I have listened to. Works with * are the ones which have particularly impressed/intrigued me.

Thank you in advance & Happy listening and (re)exploration.
Olivier

Papy Oli

A & B

Achron, Joseph (1886-1943) - violin concertos

Adams, John (1947-) – Phrygian Gates*, Road Movies, Hallelujah Junction, China Gates* - Added: Nixon in China, Harmonielehre, Harmonium, the Wound Dresser, The Dharma at Big Sur*, Fearful symmetries*

Adams, John Luther (1953-) - Become Ocean, Become Desert, Become River; The Wind in High Places,  In the White Silence,  The Light The Fills the World, Clouds of Forgetting, Dreamin White on White, Night Place, The Far Country of Sleep

Adler, Samuel (b. 1928) - orchestral music (Linn) and chamber music (Toccata)

Aikman, James (b. 1959) - Violin Concerto (Naxos), Sax Concerto.

Albert, Stephen (1941-1992) - Symphony No. 1 RiverRun (1983), Cello Concerto (1990) written for Yo-Yo Ma (Both won a Pulitzer Prize for Music)

Anderson, Leroy (1908-1975) - Famous for pops staples like "The Typewriter"*.

Antheil, George (1900-59) - Ballet Mécanique*, Jazz Symphony* , 'American' Symphony No. 3, Sym No.4* & No.5, 2nd Violin Sonata

Antonsen, Preben (1991-)

Argento, Dominick (1927-2019) - Best known for his operas and songs.

Asia, Daniel (1953-)

Aucoin, Matthew (b. 1990).  Piano Concerto (BMOP 2CD)

Auerbach, Lera (1973-)

Babbitt, Milton (1916-2011)

Baker, Claude (1948-)

Baker, David Roots II (trio)*, sonata for Cello & Piano

Balada, Leonardo (1933-) - Caprichos series

Barati, George (1913-96) - Chamber Concerto*, Cello Concerto, Quartet for Harpsichord, Flute, Oboe and Double Bass*

Barber, Samuel (1910-81) – Capricorn Concerto*, A Hand of Bridge, Mutations from Bach, Intermezzo from 'Vanessa'*, Canzonetta for Oboe & Strings*, Fadograph of a Yestern Scene, Cello Concerto, Medea Ballet suite, Adagio for Strings, Knoxville Summer of 1915*, Second Essay for Orch.*, Third Essay for Orchestra*, Toccata Festiva, Piano Cto, Die Natali, Medea's Meditation, Commando March, School for Scandal overture, Sym No.1, First Essay for Orch., Sym No.2, Violin Concerto, Souvenirs (Ballet Suite), Serenade for Strings, Music for a Scene from Shelley.

Bates, Mason (b. 1977) - Mothership (BMOP)*

Bazelon, Irwin (1922-95)

Beach, Amy (1867-1944) -  Gaelic Symphony, piano quintet, Piano Trio, Violin Sonata* (songs?, Solo piano?) 

Beaser, Robert (b. 1954) - Guitar Concerto, Notes on a Southern Sky*

Berger, Arthur (1912-2003)

Bernstein, Charles Harold (1917-2016)

Bernstein, Leonard (1918-90) – Mass. Age of Anxiety, Facsimile, Serenade, Suites from West Side Story*, Candide overture*, Suites from On The Waterfront, Fancy Free*, On the Town, Prelude Fugue & Riffs. Dybbuk, Jeremiah S1, Age of Anxiety S2 *, Kaddish S3, Chichester Psalms

Blackwood, Easley (1933-2023) - Symphony No. 1 (Munch, Boston SO)

Blitzstein, MarcThe Airborne Symphony, The Cradle Will Rock

Bloch, Ernest (1880-1959) - Piano Quintet No. 1, Concerto Grosso No. 1*, Symphony in C-sharp minor

Bolcom, William (1938-) - piano rags (Hyperion)*, Songs of Innocence and Experience, symphonies, cabaret songs (with his wife).

Brant, Henry (1913-2008) - Ice Field

Bristow, George Frederick - 2 Symphonies, overture/symphonic poem

Brown, Earle (1926-2002)

Budd, Harold (1936-)

Busch, Carl (1862-1943)
Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

From the Top then  ;D

My only John Adams CD.

I enjoy it but I have to be in the right mood for it.

Playing Phrygian Gates now.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Samuel Barber

Essay for Orchestra No.1

Essay for Orchestra No.2 & No.3

Olivier

Mapman

Here's a post I wrote recently on Bernstein's Chichester Psalms, which is not yet on your list:

Quote from: Mapman on March 12, 2023, 06:16:36 PMBernstein: Chichester Psalms

The opening is a bit harsh, but the rest of the 1st movement is rhythmic and fun. The 2nd movement has an interesting structure: 2 psalms in contrasting styles which are then superimposed. The third movement is incredibly beautiful (and mostly in 5). Bernstein's music continues to impress me. (I think my favorite Bernstein works so far are Symphony #2 and Symphonic Dances from West Side Story.)

I own, but have not listened to yet, Beach's Gaelic Symphony. Maybe this thread will inspire me to finally listen!

DavidW

Quote from: Mapman on April 07, 2023, 07:48:51 AMI own, but have not listened to yet, Beach's Gaelic Symphony. Maybe this thread will inspire me to finally listen!

I like her piano quintet.  I think she might be most known for her songs and solo piano music.

Papy Oli

Thank you both, I have added your mentions for Bernstein & Beach.

Out of the three, I have particularly enjoyed Essay No.2 by Barber earlier.
Olivier

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on April 07, 2023, 08:34:29 AMI like her piano quintet.  I think she might be most known for her songs and solo piano music.
Her Piano Quintet, Piano Trio and Violin Sonata are all excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

VonStupp

I suppose George Antheil is infamous for the audacious Ballet Mécanique, but I kind of like his Jazz Symphony and 'American' Symphony No. 3 more.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on April 07, 2023, 10:13:20 AMI suppose George Antheil is infamous for the audacious Ballet Mécanique, but I kind of like his Jazz Symphony and 'American' Symphony No. 3 more.

VS

Yes!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

San Antone

Blitzstein, Marc (misspelled on your list) - The Cradle Will Rock (1937)

Daverz

Adams, John: Nixon in China and Harmonielehre are probably still my favorite works of his.

Adams, John Luther: I've enjoyed Become Ocean and Become Desert, but have not yet repeated the experience.

Antheil, George: Once you get past the theft from Shostakovich and Prokofiev his symphonies (and I'm sure many others I don't notice), his orchestral music is very entertaining.

Balada, Leonardo: Really like his Caprichos series, and nearly everything else I've heard.

Barati, George: I have one CD on CRI. One of the works was recorded by Ormandy and Philadelphia.  As I recall, his music is neo-Classical and motivic, perhaps a bit "standard" for that era, but pretty good.

Bernstein, Leonard: I still need to listen to the Mass.  I love Candide and the Serenade.

Blitztein, Marc – The Airborne Symphony: seemed corny to me, but perhaps I should give it another chance.

Bloch, Ernest:  Criminally neglected composer.  Piano Quintet No. 1 and the Concerto Grosso No. 1 are good starting points.

Brant, Henry: Listening to Ice Field.  The kitchen sink is in there somewhere, but it's quite aurally entertaining:

lordlance

I'm going to put my suggestion in for Bloch's epic Symphony in C-sharp minor. At ~55 minutes, it's probably his most significant orchestral work.
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.