The U.S.A. Exploration Thread

Started by Papy Oli, April 07, 2023, 05:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Quote from: Daverz on April 07, 2023, 06:35:45 PMBarati, George: I have one CD on CRI. One of the works was recorded by Ormandy and Philadelphia.  As I recall, his music is neo-Classical and motivic, perhaps a bit "standard" for that era, but pretty good.

His Cello concerto was interesting and pleasant enough. I'll listen to the other 2 works on this CD in due course.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Listened to the Barber CD Below earlier today, I was particularly taken by the works in bold. I look forward to re-visiting the rest of that set.

Capricorn Concerto
A Hand of Bridge
Mutations from Bach
Intermezzo from 'Vanessa'
Canzonetta for Oboe & Strings
Fadograph of a Yestern Scene

Olivier

Papy Oli

Thanks again to @Daverz for mentioning the below CD.

It ended up being quite an interesting listen.

I really enjoyed the Quartet for Harpsichord, Flute, Oboe and Double Bass . The chamber concerto was also more than decent.

That album goes on the wish list for future consideration.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Finally, a work I have listened to several times in the past in the Beaux-Arts Trio big box and enjoyed is Roots II by David Baker. At times, atonal, jazzy, bluesy but all the time engaging 

Decided to stream more of his works, starting with his Cello and Piano Sonata:

Olivier

Papy Oli

John Adams - The Wound-Dresser
Followed it with the text of Walt Whitman. Haunting but the style of the work is not to my taste much.

I quite like Fearful Symmetries that appear on the same CD.

Olivier

Daverz

A few more A's and B's for you:

Joseph Achron (1886-1943).  Violinist composer.  Wrote several violin concertos after immigrating to the US.

James Aikman (b. 1959).  There's a Naxos CD with a Violin Concerto (sounds very promising) and a Sax Concerto.

Stephen Albert (1941-1992).  According to Wikipedia: "He is best known for his Symphony No. 1 RiverRun (1983) and Cello Concerto (1990) written for Yo-Yo Ma, both of which won a Pulitzer Prize for Music."

Leroy Anderson (1908-1975).  Famous for pops staples like "The Typewriter".

Samuel Adler (b. 1928). Linn released a 3-CD set of orchestral music and Toccata has issued CDs of his chamber music and works for chamber orchestra.

Dominick Argento (1927-2019).  Best known for his operas and songs.

Matthew Aucoin (b. 1990).  I like his 35-minute Piano Concerto on a BMOP 2-disc set.

Mason Bates (b. 1977).  Wikipedia says "composer of symphonic music and DJ of electronic dance music".  I'd call his style (e.g. Mothership on BMOP) "Hooked on Minimalism". ;)   It's fun, but I can't say how well it will wear over time.

Robert Beaser (b. 1954).  I like his Guitar Concerto.

Easley Blackwood (1933-2023).  His Symphony No. 1 was recorded for RCA by Charles Munch and the Boston Symphony Orchestra.  (It's in the big Munch box and also on a Cedille CD where it's coupled with a later recording of his Symphony No. 5.)  My recollection was that Symphony No. 1 is loud and obnoxious, and just listening now to refresh my memory had to hit the stop button a few minutes in.

Earle Brown (1926-2002).  Downtown New York guy along "along with John Cage, Morton Feldman, and Christian Wolff."

Mapman

Beach: Gaelic Symphony, Op. 32
Järvi: Detroit

The first movement seemed fairly average for a romantic symphony of its time. However, the other three movements gave me a more positive impression. The highlight of my first listen was the 2nd movement, an interesting slow movement/scherzo hybrid, which has a wonderful duet for oboe and English horn. There's other lovely woodwind writing, including a bass clarinet solo in the 3rd movement. I'm glad I finally listened to this.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Daverz on April 11, 2023, 05:40:15 PMA few more A's and B's for you:

Thank you for those @Daverz . I have added them to the front page list.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mapman on April 14, 2023, 03:28:21 PMBeach: Gaelic Symphony, Op. 32
Järvi: Detroit

The first movement seemed fairly average for a romantic symphony of its time. However, the other three movements gave me a more positive impression. The highlight of my first listen was the 2nd movement, an interesting slow movement/scherzo hybrid, which has a wonderful duet for oboe and English horn. There's other lovely woodwind writing, including a bass clarinet solo in the 3rd movement. I'm glad I finally listened to this.

Sounds good @Mapman , I'll seek it on Idagio.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Bernstein - Symphony No.3 "Kaddish" : I struggled with this one but the singing in the 2nd movement was gorgeous.

Adams - The Dharma at Big Sur : I liked the general vibe of the work, even if the violin was borderline shrieking at times (for my tastes). A work I will likely go back to.

Playing Barber's Knoxville Summer of 1915 from the Alsop set. THE work that initially impressed me the most  when I got the box. Still magnificent.

PS: I have tidied the list and edited the original post on the front page for clarity.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Also yesterday:

Amy Beach - "Gaelic" symphony: pleasant overall but not much more than that for me.

John Adams - Harmonium: Felt a bit wishy-washy, didn't grab my attention at all.
Olivier

San Antone

Adams, John Luther: Become River (the 3rd in his Become Trilogy); The Wind in High Places; In the White Silence; The Light The Fills the World; Clouds of Forgetting; Dreamin White on White; NIght Place;, The Far Country of Sleep

VonStupp

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 07, 2023, 05:19:17 AMBolcom, William (1938-)

Bolcom has 2CD's worth of piano rags, the best found on Hyperion in my opinion. I find them interesting, but your mileage may vary.

Also, his Songs of Innocence and Experience, despite its 3 hours, received a fair shake with Slatkin on Naxos.

Otherwise, I never really got on with his symphonies, but leaned towards his cabaret songs with his wife. An eclectic musical voice, for sure.
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Papy Oli

Quote from: San Antone on April 16, 2023, 04:13:09 AMAdams, John Luther: Become River (the 3rd in his Become Trilogy); The Wind in High Places; In the White Silence; The Light The Fills the World; Clouds of Forgetting; Dreamin White on White; NIght Place;, The Far Country of Sleep

Thank you, @San Antone I'll add to the opening page's list.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: VonStupp on April 16, 2023, 05:41:03 AMBolcom has 2CD's worth of piano rags, the best found on Hyperion in my opinion. I find them interesting, but your mileage may vary.

Also, his Songs of Innocence and Experience, despite its 3 hours, received a fair shake with Slatkin on Naxos.

Otherwise, I never really got on with his symphonies, but leaned towards his cabaret songs with his wife. An eclectic musical voice, for sure.
VS

thank you @VonStupp , that's added as well.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Bernstein - The Age of Anxiety

The work so far in this little USA project that has impressed and engrossed me the most (with two more versions to come, also in the Concertos and Symphonies Bernstein Sony Editions). I had that all along at my fingertips... :-[  A cracker.

Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: Daverz on April 11, 2023, 05:40:15 PMLeroy Anderson (1908-1975).  Famous for pops staples like "The Typewriter".

I have put a used copy of this one in the basket. Light fare but very entertaining.

As for "the typewriter", would that be the tune that Jerry Lewis used in one of his famous sketches ?

Olivier

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 16, 2023, 02:03:57 AMAlso yesterday:

Amy Beach - "Gaelic" symphony: pleasant overall but not much more than that for me.

John Adams - Harmonium: Felt a bit wishy-washy, didn't grab my attention at all.
I find Amy Beach's chamber music much more engaging. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 18, 2023, 06:50:56 AMI find Amy Beach's chamber music much more engaging.

Noted @Karl Henning , I'll try further.

The recs included "piano quintet, Piano Trio, Violin Sonata". Any favourite of yours ?

Olivier

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 18, 2023, 07:01:14 AMNoted @Karl Henning , I'll try further.

The recs included "piano quintet, Piano Trio, Violin Sonata". Any favourite of yours ?

I like all three so well, I don't think I could pick a favorite. Follow your own whim.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot