The U.S.A. Exploration Thread

Started by Papy Oli, April 07, 2023, 05:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 18, 2023, 07:02:33 AMI like all three so well, I don't think I could pick a favorite. Follow your own whim.

Fair enough, I shall  ;)
Olivier

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mapman on April 14, 2023, 03:28:21 PMBeach: Gaelic Symphony, Op. 32
Järvi: Detroit

The first movement seemed fairly average for a romantic symphony of its time. However, the other three movements gave me a more positive impression. The highlight of my first listen was the 2nd movement, an interesting slow movement/scherzo hybrid, which has a wonderful duet for oboe and English horn. There's other lovely woodwind writing, including a bass clarinet solo in the 3rd movement. I'm glad I finally listened to this.

I just wanted to mention that Beach was a synesthete. Wagner, Liszt, and Messiaen too.

Mandryka

I think you may like Jonathan Berger's The Lead Plates of the ROM Press
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Daverz

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 18, 2023, 06:33:31 AMAs for "the typewriter", would that be the tune that Jerry Lewis used in one of his famous sketches ?

Yes, according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Typewriter#In_popular_culture

Papy Oli

John Luther Adams did not hit the mark for me. "Become River" was more than long enough at 15 minutes, I just couldn't sustain 40-odd minutes for Become Ocean or Become desert. I didn't have much more success with Wind in High Places. That sort of style did not work for me.

It is not dissimilar to the "other" Adams but the latter has in parts more variations within those "monotonous" works to sustain the interest (mine at least).     

I am trying Antheil right now - Ballet Mécanique & A Jazz Symphony.

Good fun so far, although a bit weird to hear De Leeuw going all guns blazing on those works when I only know him via the slowest Satie possible  ;D 

PS: the two sonatas, however, were too harsh for my liking.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Amy Beach - Sonata for violin and piano in A minor

Sometimes, the decision is simple: this will have to find its way in my collection.

Olivier

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 19, 2023, 06:43:48 AMJohn Luther Adams did not hit the mark for me. "Become River" was more than long enough at 15 minutes, I just couldn't sustain 40-odd minutes for Become Ocean or Become desert. I didn't have much more success with Wind in High Places. That sort of style did not work for me.

It is not dissimilar to the "other" Adams but the latter has in parts more variations within those "monotonous" works to sustain the interest (mine at least).   

I am trying Antheil right now - Ballet Mécanique & A Jazz Symphony.

Good fun so far, although a bit weird to hear De Leeuw going all guns blazing on those works when I only know him via the slowest Satie possible  ;D 

PS: the two sonatas, however, were too harsh for my liking.
Love the Ballet Mécanique & A Jazz Symphony. My Jn Luther Adams curiosity purchase was Become Ocean. An additional element of curiosity turned on the fact that Ludovic Morlot  had been an assistant conductor at the BSO. He stepped in at the last-ish moment to lead an undistinguished performance of the Beethoven Op. 125. But in fairness one cannot let that kind of circumstantial event "brand" an emerging conductor. FWIW Become Ocean didn't do it for me.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

foxandpeng

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 19, 2023, 06:43:48 AMI am trying Antheil right now - Ballet Mécanique & A Jazz Symphony.

Antheil. Symphonies. Storgårds. Glorious stuff.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Papy Oli

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 19, 2023, 08:07:23 AMLove the Ballet Mécanique & A Jazz Symphony.

My Jn Luther Adams curiosity purchase was Become Ocean....FWIW Become Ocean didn't do it for me.

These 2 Antheil works did it for me; on the other hand, I didn't enjoy the 2 violin sonatas at all.

For Luther Adams, it felt intriguing at start but it never really moved on from there  :-\
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 19, 2023, 02:22:12 PMAntheil. Symphonies. Storgårds. Glorious stuff.

In the queue, Danny  ;)
Olivier

Papy Oli

Robert Beaser - Guitar Concerto

This work has its moments after quite a tense, angry 1st movement. The third movement was quite attention-grabbing, Not sure this would be a work I would return to, though.

On the same CD, the solo guitar work Notes on a Southern Sky should appeal to the fans of the genre.

Olivier

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 22, 2023, 04:55:35 AMThese 2 Antheil works did it for me; on the other hand, I didn't enjoy the 2 violin sonatas at all.

For Luther Adams, it felt intriguing at start but it never really moved on from there  :-\
I don't know the violin sonatas. A potential curiosity listen at some point?...
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Really enjoyed that Antheil 4th on Chandos yesterday. I look forward to discovering the others symphonies.
Olivier

Papy Oli

Tried some of Bolcom's songs but that wasn't for me.

Listening to Mason Bates' Mothership now. Mix of electronic and classical. Like the style so far.

Olivier

Papy Oli

Matthew Aucoin - Piano Concerto

That hasn't done much for me  :-\

Olivier

Papy Oli

Spent a bit of time with Bolcom's Piano Rags.

The Myer felt no more than a pleasant background music, lacking a bit of life.

The Hamelin however seemed to have the right oomph and jest that you would seek for in that style of works. It goes in the Hyperion wish-list.

hat-tip to @VonStupp:)
Olivier