Hello

Started by badflautist, April 11, 2023, 01:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badflautist

Greetings to all. My name's John, I live about a mile from the border  in Powys, Wales.
After a fairly unmusical youth I came to music via historical interests and the stirring of the early music world in the '70's, and I have mostly been keen on earlier music, HIP etc, ever since. My tastes are expanding in old age though, even up to wild modernity like Brahms. Still preferring old instruments though.
I have played lute a bit and baroque flute more,neither well (hence the nom de plume), though no longer thanks to old age and emphysema.
I am currently enjoying discovering what has developed in period instruments string quartets in recent years.

Papy Oli

Welcome John!  :)
Olivier

david johnson

Welcome among us :)

Brahmsian

Welcome to GMG John!  :)

DavidW

Welcome John.  PI baroque and classical era music have faded a bit in popularity, but there is still a few of us.  And who knows, maybe you'll inspire some posters to set aside the Vaughan Williams for a bit and take a trip back in time! ;)

Mapman

Brian

Welcome to the board! Also I'm planning a trip to England and Wales in September and thinking of spending a few days hiking the Brecon Beacons, shopping for books in Hay, and popping into pubs in Crickhowell and Abergavenny. Your corner of the world seems rather beautiful.

DaveF

Welcome, John, from a (fairly) near neighbour.  And Brian, give us a shout when you're over here!  Hay is not what it was in its prime, sadly, but all your other plans have much to recommend them.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

badflautist

Quote from: Brian on April 11, 2023, 06:52:49 AMWelcome to the board! Also I'm planning a trip to England and Wales in September and thinking of spending a few days hiking the Brecon Beacons, shopping for books in Hay, and popping into pubs in Crickhowell and Abergavenny. Your corner of the world seems rather beautiful.
Yes, it is rather nice. I agree with Dave, about your plans and about Hay. It's still worth a look though, and has some decent small concerts from time to time.
Let me know as well as Dave when you're  around, I'm not as mobile as I used to be but maybe something could be arranged, possibly involving a pub.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Lisztianwagner

Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Roasted Swan

Quote from: badflautist on April 11, 2023, 01:04:04 AMGreetings to all. My name's John, I live about a mile from the border  in Powys, Wales.
After a fairly unmusical youth I came to music via historical interests and the stirring of the early music world in the '70's, and I have mostly been keen on earlier music, HIP etc, ever since. My tastes are expanding in old age though, even up to wild modernity like Brahms. Still preferring old instruments though.
I have played lute a bit and baroque flute more,neither well (hence the nom de plume), though no longer thanks to old age and emphysema.
I am currently enjoying discovering what has developed in period instruments string quartets in recent years.

Welcome - there's quite a major music festival in Presteigne isn't there.  All a bit modern music though I think?!

badflautist

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 11, 2023, 11:09:55 AMWelcome - there's quite a major music festival in Presteigne isn't there.  All a bit modern music though I think?!
Yes it is, but we find plenty of music in Ludlow, Hay, Leominster and Hereford Cathedral (St John Passion there last week).

DaveF

Quote from: badflautist on April 11, 2023, 10:16:37 AMYes, it is rather nice. I agree with Dave, about your plans and about Hay. It's still worth a look though, and has some decent small concerts from time to time.
Let me know as well as Dave when you're  around, I'm not as mobile as I used to be but maybe something could be arranged, possibly involving a pub.

Thanks for putting in the quote, John - I replied to Brian's post without doing that, so he might never have seen my reply.  You have to feel for the poor fellow - plans a trip to one of the quietest bits of the UK, and all sorts of GMG members start clamouring to meet him.  He should have chosen Tierra del Fuego.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Pohjolas Daughter

Welcome to the forum!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: DavidW on April 11, 2023, 06:30:37 AMWelcome John.  PI baroque and classical era music have faded a bit in popularity, but there is still a few of us.  And who knows, maybe you'll inspire some posters to set aside the Vaughan Williams for a bit and take a trip back in time! ;)
I beg your pardon!!?  ;D

Welcome to the forum badflautist.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

Quote from: DaveF on April 11, 2023, 11:39:41 AMThanks for putting in the quote, John - I replied to Brian's post without doing that, so he might never have seen my reply.  You have to feel for the poor fellow - plans a trip to one of the quietest bits of the UK, and all sorts of GMG members start clamouring to meet him.  He should have chosen Tierra del Fuego.
;D  ;D  ;D