Château de Versailles Spectacles

Started by André Le Nôtre, April 14, 2023, 09:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André Le Nôtre

Have you explored this collection? I was listening to something on Qobuz the other day, and after it ended, Qobuz started playing something else--in this case the glorious Messe pour les Couvents by François Couperin, played by Olivier Latry (part of this collection). I was very quickly taken with this beautiful recording. I have enjoyed the version by Marie-Claire Alain for many years, but this recording is very fresh, colorful, and beautifully recorded. The singing is gorgeous as well! There are many other goodies in this series to explore. Do you have any favorites? (Sadly, inexplicably, I do not find a single recording of music by Nicolas de Grigny!)

https://en.chateauversailles-spectacles.fr/products/1

Mandryka

I think the Koopman recital caught him on a good day - it was one of those concerts which I had the chance to go to, refused, and I now regret it! Well recorded too for my tastes - just the right amount of room ambience.

The two viols recording with Rignol and Vialle has some very attractive Sainte Colombe. I enjoyed Rignol's  Bach too, and the Dieupart is a perfectly agreeable ensemble rendition.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on April 15, 2023, 12:26:33 AMI think the Koopman recital caught him on a good day - it was one of those concerts which I had the chance to go to, refused, and I now regret it! Well recorded too for my tastes - just the right amount of room ambience.

The two viols recording with Rignol and Vialle has some very attractive Sainte Colombe. I enjoyed Rignol's  Bach too, and the Dieupart is a perfectly agreeable ensemble rendition.

Yes, the Koopman is nice and so is the Bach / Rignol - we need more recordings of the Bach suites on viola da gamba. However I prefer my Dieupart performed on solo harpsichord (so I expect much from van Asperen), and late French baroque music doesn't (with a few exceptions) interest me that much.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν