Coronation of King Charles III

Started by vandermolen, May 01, 2023, 04:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 01, 2023, 11:36:59 AMQueen Elizabeth II nevertheless presided over Boris Johnson's appointment as prime minister, the de facto head of state. But, then there is Edward VIII, and will the new King have to divest of his biscuit empire? A disgraced "political" head of state can, at least, be kicked out by the public.
A perfectly fair point and I'm not sure about the 'biscuit empire' but I think/hope that Charles will follow in the footsteps of his mother exemplifying duty and service above selfish ambition.
Edward VIII was indeed a disaster - a shallow and foolish Nazi sympathiser.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: BWV 1080 on May 01, 2023, 11:41:15 AMHowever there is precedent - Charles immediate namesake did get removed as head of state, through a process that left him both stateless and headless
Yes, indeed. I was rather surprised that Charles took the name Charles III in view of his unfortunate namesake. I was expecting him to become King George VII.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: BWV 1080 on May 01, 2023, 11:41:15 AMHowever there is precedent - Charles immediate namesake did get removed as head of state, through a process that left him both stateless and headless

I stand corrected. The head of state can be removed through civil war. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mandryka on May 01, 2023, 09:41:50 AM

Easy Coronation Chicken

6 tbsp Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise
2-3 tsp mild curry powder, to taste
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp mango chutney
1-3 tbsp sultanas, or to taste
500g shredded cooked chicken

STEP 1
Mix the Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise, curry powder, cinnamon, chutney and sultanas together and season with black pepper.

STEP 2
Add the shredded chicken and stir to coat in the sauce. Stir in 2 tbsp water to loosen if needed, then season and serve as desired.

Serve with a big coronation mug of Rosy Lea

Sounds tasty!  And I like the idea of some watercress added to it.  Have not heard of Rosy Lea before now.

Found out (through I forget which source now) that apparently BBC America won't be showing the coronation (at least live).

PD

EDIT:  Ah, I suspect that the Rosy Lea that you mentioned is actually not a brand but slang....for tea?
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

I lived in London for the Royal wedding of Will and Kate. I was advised to stay at home because there'd be too much "action" happening across town while it took place, though in hindsight I wish I'd gone to a pub to watch.

I did go out in the streets afterwards to see the cleanup. I walked the parade route and saw all the crews sweeping up the celebratory trash.

Irons

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 01, 2023, 12:41:15 PMI stand corrected. The head of state can be removed through civil war. :)

Listened to a podcast recently on the subject of the French Revolution and someone asked the pertinent question why with the rest of Europe in turmoil Britain stayed out of it. The major reason there is a Royal family to this day.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 01, 2023, 11:18:16 AMI fail to see what advantage is conferred by having a "non-political" head of state who has no power and experts no influence on the actions of the government, and who's primary function is to provide embarrassing fodder for tabloid newspapers.

Whatever embarrassing fodder for tabloid newspapers the soon-to-be Charles III might have provided --- and one should not underestimate the power and penchant of the tabloid press to turn molehills into mountains and to present as unheard-of, sensational and embarrassing news deeds that in the life of any other people than political or entertainment celebrities would have passed completely unnoticed --- it is nothing compared to the damage the elected President Trump did to the US's international prestige and standing. Just saying.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Florestan on May 03, 2023, 09:23:02 AMWhatever embarrassing fodder for tabloid newspapers the soon-to-be Charles III might have provided --- and one should not underestimate the power and penchant of the tabloid press to turn molehills into mountains and to present as unheard-of, sensational and embarrassing news deeds that in the life of any other people than political or entertainment celebrities would have passed completely unnoticed --- it is nothing compared to the damage the elected President Trump did to the US's international prestige and standing. Just saying.

If a little old lady in Pasadena was the official head of state it wouldn't save the U.S. the shame of having elected Trump president, any more than Elizabeth II saved the UK the somewhat lesser shame of having its elected Parliament appoint Boris Johnson Prime Minister.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 03, 2023, 10:32:32 AMIf a little old lady in Pasadena was the official head of state it wouldn't save the U.S. the shame of having elected Trump president, any more than Elizabeth II saved the UK the somewhat lesser shame of having its elected Parliament appoint Boris Johnson Prime Minister.
That's true the monarch has no real power but I consider it symbolically important to have a non-political Head of State.

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 03, 2023, 10:32:32 AMIf a little old lady in Pasadena was the official head of state it wouldn't save the U.S. the shame of having elected Trump president, any more than Elizabeth II saved the UK the somewhat lesser shame of having its elected Parliament appoint Boris Johnson Prime Minister.

If the Queen had by-passed the House of Commons and not appointed BoJo, she'd have been vilified by the self-same tabloid press as acting against a democratically elected assembly. She did appoint him and in some circles was vilified for doing it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The way I see it, the role of the Queen / King of the UK is not to prevent the British nation from democratically electing bad politicians as prime-minister (an impossible feat anyway) but to represent and preserve its  historical traditions and customs, alongside their unity --- precisely in spite of, and above, bad politicians coming in and out of executive power.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Florestan on May 03, 2023, 10:47:15 AMhe way I see it, the role of the Queen / King of the UK is not to prevent the British nation from democratically electing bad politicians as prime-minister (an impossible feat anyway) but to represent and preserve its  historical traditions and customs, alongside their unity --- precisely in spite of, and above, bad politicians coming in and out of executive power.

Traditions and customs like these?

I'll take Trump.

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 03, 2023, 11:03:56 AMTraditions and customs like these?

Of course not. That tradition had been long extinct in the UK by the time the US still preserved this tradition:

EDIT: and while the execution of Jane Grey was entirely the work of aristocrats, the people in that gruesome photo look like low middle class and proletarians.

QuoteI'll take Trump.

Over whom?

Spotted Horses

The topic is the selection of the head of state, not mob violence.

I choose a system that makes Trump head of state, or not, depending on whether he wins or loses an election to a "tradition" in which the head of state secures his or her claim by murdering his or her rivals. It doesn't strike me as a tradition worth honoring.

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 03, 2023, 12:07:15 PMThe topic is the selection of the head of state, not mob violence.

I choose a system that makes Trump head of state, or not, depending on whether he wins or loses an election to a "tradition" in which the head of state secures his or her claim by murdering his or her rivals. It doesn't strike me as a tradition worth honoring.

Actually, the topic is the coronation of King Charles III. AFAIK, he didn't murder any rival, nor did any king or queen since the establishment of the current British dynasty in 1714. Your point is moot.

Pohjolas Daughter

Is anyone here planning on going to London to try and get a good viewing spot to catch the procession and/or going to or having some friends over to watch it?  Or cooking anything special that day?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

(poco) Sforzando

I would prefer they crown Princess Anne. And the horse. Both scandal-free and totally sensible.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Luke

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 04, 2023, 06:56:17 AMI would prefer they crown Princess Anne. And the horse....

You can tell them apart? Kudos!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 04, 2023, 06:28:01 AMIs anyone here planning on going to London to try and get a good viewing spot to catch the procession and/or going to or having some friends over to watch it?  Or cooking anything special that day?

PD

Sorry - that will be No, No and finally .... No

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 04, 2023, 06:28:01 AMIs anyone here planning on going to London to try and get a good viewing spot to catch the procession and/or going to or having some friends over to watch it?  Or cooking anything special that day?

PD

NO!!!!!! ! !

I am planning on having lunch in South Kensington, and avoiding going anywhere near Westminster.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: Mandryka on May 04, 2023, 08:03:31 AMNO!!!!!! ! !

I am planning on having lunch in South Kensington, and avoiding going anywhere near Westminster.
South Kensington is not that far away! Only 4 stops on the District and Circle line ;D