Question about ambitus and orchestration

Started by iopxp, May 01, 2023, 12:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iopxp

Hi everybody, I currently have some sketches and I've made a PDF with a link containing some orchestration information I need. Is 'ambitus' correct in Sibelius? I've read it in different places about horns, and I'm unsure if they can go so deep down, as well as the baritone sax, as in the PDF. Is it a clear sound and possible to play? I really like the depth of horns and baritone sax in the deep register, but I'm unsure. Is tremolo doubles with violin, cello, and double bass not possible in those low tones? Will the sound get really terrible?

If anybody can answer, I will be really glad.

What is a person who looks through scores before publishing called? To see if everything is correct?

Here is a link to a PDF file with sheet music and some randomly placed notes regarding ambitus and tremolo double

Example:

How would you arrange a Cmajor7 tremolo double  chord?

Violin 1: Tremolo double, tone:  C
Violin 2: Tremolo double, tone: E
Cello :and Tremolo double, tone: G (low G ambitus)
Double Bass: Tremolo double, tone: B (low B ambitus)

If this is not possible, would the following be possible:
Violin 1: Tremolo double, tone:  C
Violin 2: Tremolo double, tone: E
Viola: Tremolo double, tone: G ( How low can it go?)
Viola 2: Tremolo double, tone:  B ( How low can it go?)

Thank you

krummholz

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking about regarding ambitus, and why you have the word in quotes. If you're asking about the ranges of instruments, here's a reference I've used frequently when writing for instruments I'm less familiar with:

Ranges of Orchestral Instruments

Sibelius will alert you when you get close to the limits of an instrument's range by displaying the note in red (that's supposed to mean that the note is beyond the instrument's range, but I've noticed that often times Sibelius displays even notes that are in range, but close to the limits for an average player, in red as well).

All of the cello and contrabass notes in your pdf score are in range, but keep in mind that the cb sounds an octave below written.

If you're using "Sibelius Sounds" or one of the bundled sound libraries to get an idea of what your score will actually sound like, I would recommend NotePerformer instead as I think it gives a more realistic approximation. NotePerformer isn't perfect - in fact it tries to simulate what actual human performers will make of your score by introducing random timing errors, the more difficult the writing the more errors. There are also problems with how it simulates legato that cause legato passages to sometimes sound detache. But it's worlds better than anything bundled with Sibelius.

iopxp

Thanks for the reply.

I have some sketches and scores with baritone sax down to F2, but I was unsure after seeing other places with orchestral ambitus if it was possible to play in F2 ranges or if I had to go an octave up if Sibelius also had an error and some orchestral guides. Also, horns down in C3 if it's possible down in those ranges.
And the part with tremolo if it's a more muddy and unclear sound in bass F1 and cello F2 and down in those areas and playable with double tremolos in live performances.