Sir William Walton

Started by tjguitar, April 16, 2007, 09:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjguitar

Another one of my favorite 20th century British composers, no thread so I'll make it.

I don't have too many from him at the moment, any recommendations?

bhodges

One of my favorite Walton recordings is this one of Belshazzar's Feast, with Andrew Litton and Bryn Terfel.  It was recorded in Winchester Cathedral, which might seem too resonant, but somehow the engineers got it right.  Litton and the Bournemouth musicians come up with very exciting playing, and Terfel is terrific in the solo parts.  Here's a good review in Stereophile, which gave it its Recording of the Month in February 1996.

--Bruce

SonicMan46

For some discussion & recommendations from the old forum see this thread on 20th Century English Composers:)

Harry

What there is of Walton on the Naxos label I have, and I have no complains whatwhoever about interpretation and sound.
I have tryed to get the complete recordings on Chandos some time ago, but it is OOP.

71 dB

Walton first Symphony is very good but I also find it strenuous in it's screaming aggression. The opening bars are wonderful but quiet. This makes me turn more volume and rest of the symphony is very loud.
(Naxos)

The first symphony didn't make me want more. I don't have a need to explore more Walton.  ???
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Robert

Quote from: 71 dB on April 16, 2007, 11:09:26 AM
Walton first Symphony is very good but I also find it strenuous in it's screaming aggression. The opening bars are wonderful but quiet. This makes me turn more volume and rest of the symphony is very loud.
(Naxos)

The first symphony didn't make me want more. I don't have a need to explore more Walton.  ???
Before you totally give up perhaps you might want to investigate his violin/viola concertos, if I might rec Kennedy/Previn EMI. You may have a change of heart......

71 dB

Quote from: Robert on April 16, 2007, 11:22:56 AM
Before you totally give up perhaps you might want to investigate his violin/viola concertos, if I might rec Kennedy/Previn EMI. You may have a change of heart......

I am not giving up. Those concertos is one option, of course. Thanks!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

hautbois

I must admit that i have yet to venture into more works by English composers (Britten, RVW, Walton to name a few), maybe their chamber music for oboe and some of the more popular works like Peter Grimes or the Young Person's Guide or say the Fantasy on Greensleeves. I recently heard Walton's violin concerto live and i gotta say that i didn't enjoy it much. Perhaps some recommendations for his more easily accessible works and recordings? Henry V? I know EMI has a huge catelogue from the old school English conductos with orchestra such as the LPO, Philharmonia and Halle, but i have no idea where to start. Thankyou!

Howard

Guido

What didn't you enjoy about the violin concerto?
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

bhodges

If you like big works for chorus and orchestra, definitely check out Belshazzar's Feast, which is loads of fun.  I like Andrew Litton's version, with Bryn Terfel in the solo part. 

And if you like chamber music, his String Quartet in A Minor is well worth investigating.  I have this one by the Endellion String Quartet, and played the Walton a lot when I first got the recording. 

--Bruce

hautbois

Quote from: Guido on April 24, 2007, 07:13:03 AM
What didn't you enjoy about the violin concerto?

Maybe it was the violinist, but i remember feeling completely thrown off a couple of times when the writing seems to accumulate to a certain degree of beauty or climax then comes down and completely dissappears. The annoying thing is that it happens frequently and within short intervals, nothing much of a focal point is created, and thus nothing interesting happens because it sounds rather confusing! Of course, it is virtuoistic bla bla bla but i really like beautiful music more.  :D

Howard

Wanderer

Quote from: bhodges on April 24, 2007, 09:28:40 AM
If you like big works for chorus and orchestra, definitely check out Belshazzar's Feast, which is loads of fun.  I like Andrew Litton's version, with Bryn Terfel in the solo part. 

I enthusiastically second this suggestion.

Novi

Quote from: bhodges on April 24, 2007, 09:28:40 AM

--Bruce

It certainly is! I went to a performance of this this past weekend and while there have been better performances, it was certainly enthusiastically sung and a whole lot of fun ....

SLAIN!!!!!
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

tjguitar

I enjoy his two symphoonies.  Some good recordings on EMI and Naxos but the orchestras/conductors escape me.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Guido

The first Symphony is an absolute stunner - incredibly beautiful. The second is not quite so obviously appealing - it comes from a more veiled and mysterious sound world but I still enjoy it very much.

The general consensus is that the viola concerto is the best, but Walton thought the cello concerto was (and I agree!). The viola concerto is the most conventional in terms of harmony, whereas the violin concerto and cello concerto are more individual, and I would say closer to the real Walton sound, but I'm sure I will get flamed for this. All three are absolutely brilliant though (me liking the viola concerto is a recent thing though - I was dissapointed that it wasnt weird!). Get the Naxos CD for the cello and violin concerto - the best cello concerto recording going and a very good violin concerto.

http://www.amazon.com/Walton-VIOLIN-CONCERTO-CELLO/dp/B000026CUA/ref=sr_1_7/102-3810771-9378539?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1177698278&sr=8-7

There is also a fabulous Sinfonia Concertante for piano and orchestra that is very early but obviously very Waltonesque and extremely beautiful.

And my final (initial) recommendation is the violin Sonata.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

tjguitar

Holy smokes, EMI has apparently re-issued it's Handley's 1988 recording of Walton's 1st (in the UK at least).  This is my favorite recording of the work, much better than Handley's other recording for ASV.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BTDLRY/

vandermolen

Quote from: tjguitar on May 16, 2007, 10:35:55 AM
Holy smokes, EMI has apparently re-issued it's Handley's 1988 recording of Walton's 1st (in the UK at least).  This is my favorite recording of the work, much better than Handley's other recording for ASV.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BTDLRY/

Yes, it is a great performance. Adrian Leaper's Arte Nova version with the Orchestra of Grand Canary is surprisingly effective, especially in the last movement.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/William-Walton-Symphony-Scapino-Siesta/dp/B000H7J9MG/ref=sr_1_15/026-0945451-0042845?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1179401311&sr=1-15
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).