Kaija Saariaho (1952-2023)

Started by bhodges, April 02, 2008, 07:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewski

And here is the New York Times obit, by Josh Barone (free, no paywall required).

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Florestan

Never heard one single note of hers, but anyone's death is always a sad news. May God rest her in peace.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

kyjo

RIP Ms. Saariaho. I can't say I've been very taken by what I've heard of her music, but I'm certainly open to suggestions. Anyone have any particular recommendations?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: brewski on June 03, 2023, 07:30:43 AMAnd here is the New York Times obit, by Josh Barone (free, no paywall required).

-Bruce
Thanks Bruce - an interesting tribute.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Quote from: kyjo on June 03, 2023, 11:11:57 AMRIP Ms. Saariaho. I can't say I've been very taken by what I've heard of her music, but I'm certainly open to suggestions. Anyone have any particular recommendations?
My first exposure to Saariaho's music was this CD, and it still remains a favourite.

All three works on it, Graal théâtre for violin and orchestra, Amers for cello and orchestra, and the song cycle Château de l'âme for soprano, female chorus and orchestra, are great, but the last mentioned one is what made me fall in love with Saariaho's music.

Here is the last song, ravishingly sung by Dawn Upshaw:

Alex Bozman

Shocked to hear this, 70 is no age really.

I haven't heard much of her recent work, something to remedy and found it hard to get a handle on many of the earlier pieces. Graal théâtre on the CD Ritter suggests would be my suggestion of an entry point to Saariaho's music.

brewski

Just found her opera Innocence on YouTube:

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)